Thread: Sat Phones

Default Sat Phones

Looking for those of you who have a sat phone, what type of package do you have and its cost

I was thinking of buying one but cant find a decent package that will cost me less than renting

30 days for 140.00 plus 75 mins

6 months for 200.00 plus 200 mins

30.00 per month plus mins used

I will only use mine for emergencies or to call for pickup when done hunting, so wont use more than 2 or 3 times a year

Default sat phone

for 2-3 times a year I think renting is the way to go....unless you know someone who will loan you one!!! Once you start using one you will prob never be remote without one. I use one all over Alaska and overseas. I have been very satisfied with the Iridiums.

Default used Motorola

It has been several years now, but I bought a Motorola-refurbished Iridium phone for about $500 when they were about $900 new, if I recall the numbers correctly. At any rate, the refurb was nearly half price. Renting is fine, but it is another thing to figure into the plan, hope one is available.... etc. Either way; glad you are taking one.

AKH I bought an Iridium phone used from this forum's for sale threads. $200 I talked to Surveyors Exchange in Anchorage at one of the Sportsman's shows. Arranged to have an activation fee of $25 and a daily charge of $1.50 + however many minutes I used. So for a two week hunt I spend $50 or less. They gave me a SIM card at the show and I phone and activate two days before I leave to make sure everything works and when I'm done I phone and have them deactivate it. Cheapest way that I've found. 907 561-6501 ext 4 tell Greg I reccommended him.

Default Iridium 9505A

Bought the Iridium 9505A, $1295, plus $500 worth of minutes (500 min.) used the whole 6 months while in Iraq, and used it alot here in Alaska...as you all know how good our cell coverage is in Alaska. Its nice to have the minutes especially when your way up north, you can call your buddies and let them know the herd is coming through,weather conditions etc. or whatever.The 9505A is still a new phone the battery will last a good 2 weeks on a fresh charge, or last over a month before charging if only turned on during usage and offf when not in use. A good investment, i plan on using it again this year.

The purchased minutes will last until you use them up, they carry over until they are gone,then purase more if need to....satphonestore.com

Default Food for Thought

I had a boss and a couple of his buddies all chip in and bought one together. They paid for the minutes used. He said most of the time they hunted or fished together and when they didnt most of the time the others could not go anyway.

Terry

Default deals

my hunting partner and I where going to go in together on a phone, but cant find a pre paid card or service thats any cheaper than renting. It will take some time to recoupe the initial investment of buying one

I have a Kyocera Sat phone. The most recent package I got was 6 month 200 minute for $175. When I renew it the minutes roll over. I do all my stuff through Terri at Alaska Satellite Communications. As someone said earlier, once you get used to having one you will rarely head out of town without it.

aksatcom@alaska.net
    EricL

Maybe Surveyor's Exchange could list some prices. What would be interesting to see for me is:

Phone is only used for emergencies, no more than 60 minutes would be needed a year.
    What options do we have? Is a sat phone a better way to go than a PLB?

Only use would be for emergency situations and the ocasional call home to let people know I was still alive.... What intrigues me about the SPOT system is you can send messages back to your family showing your current location...

Anything out there that sort of combines the features of the SPOT with a Sat phone?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    Looking for those of you who have a sat phone, what type of package do you have and its cost

I was thinking of buying one but cant find a decent package that will cost me less than renting

30 days for 140.00 plus 75 mins

6 months for 200.00 plus 200 mins

30.00 per month plus mins used

I will only use mine for emergencies or to call for pickup when done hunting, so wont use more than 2 or 3 times a year
    akhunter02,

Newbie here, but I have recent experience with satellite phone rental.
    I was part of a medical brigade to a VERY remote area of Honduras.

After internet search and guidance from an OT post on another forum here's what I learned:

I opted for an iridium rental from *mobal, for $9.00 / day, pay for what you use -- no pre-purchase required (and I forewent on the insurance):

http://www.mobalrental.com/satellite.asp

Mobal is based in NYC and London. The phone # was actually a UK #, but for peeps calling you, they could call an AZ # and be connected, so no overseas charges applied.

They also offered a purchase price of a different model for $49.00, however IIRC it was not good for within the US, but calling to / from the rest of the world...

Global was a 'no go'.... they even stated on their own website at the time they are having satellite issues (at least they were 'honest' about it)

Allroadsat, who advertise 24/7 support, never answered any of my calls (their loss), however, they too, had pre-purchase time packages.

I would rent again from mobal, without hesitation.

*Info provided 'fee free' -- no affiliation

'Chat On!'
    Doc

Default Iridium Minutes

Just bought another 500 minutes for mine yesterday ...and the price went up again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Just bought another 500 minutes for mine yesterday ...and the price went up again this year.
    Mind if I ask how much?
    I'm sure, somehow, it's related to the cost of fuel, eh? LOL!

kahahawai -- thanks for serving for the benefit of us all..
    Doc

I have a globalstar phone, so far I have been happy with the service. I bought my phone on ebay a few years ago with 200 minutes on it, finally got them used up and had to get a contract of my own, they have a new deal out.. I pay $39.99 a month for unlimited minutes for all of 2008, the monthly rate drops to $29.99 in 2009 and 2010 it is $19.99 a month. I was surprised to hear there is no commitment.. no contracts etc. I can drop service next month if I choose to, seems like there was a $25.00 fee to activate it though. now my sat phone is cheaper than my cell phone, I will post an address to their website. http://www.globalstarusa.com/en/airtime/voicepricing/

Dan have you had any problems in Alaska with no coverage? Global is known for that.

Where I go and have no cell coverage sometimes its a little hit and miss but normally if it wont work when I first try I will always get signal within 5 or 10 minutes, when I first turn it on if there is no signal I'll wait and leave it on outside for 5 minutes then check back and it always seems to have signal. on a side note I know the signal comes from a low angle on the horizon, so where that is not available I have not tried it so much. it will surprise me sometimes though, like the time I called home from downtown Chitina.