Thread: Trout swimbaits for pike

Default Trout swimbaits for pike

Been lurkin on these boards for a little while now so I figured I would register and ask a few questions.

I was born and raised in AK, but now I live in California. I picked up bass fishing recently and it has been tons of fun. Specifically throwing 8" swimbaits.

My next trip up to AK to visit my parents I want to catch a pike on a swimbait. Any one use them up there? Here's a couple I use down here that I think would work up in AK for pike.
    http://www.spro.com/products/product...170cd9466568a0
    and this one
    http://www.huddlestonstore.com/index...WPROD&ProdID=6

I've caught numerous bass that gorge themselves on stocker trout here in CA and figured it would be perfect for Pike up there.

My parents live in Big Lake so I'll be fishing around those areas. I will probably be visiting around the middle of June, is the Pike fishing any good then? If anyone has any suggestions or information I would greatly appreciate it. If email or PM is preferred that is fine too

IMHO I think you would probably thwack a few pike with those lures. There are plenty of valley lakes with pike so Im sure you will have fun
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Talking

Find a weedbed under about 4 feet of water in a pike lake and cast out your big swimbait. Work it just like you would for bass.

I bet it won't last 3 casts before a pack of ravenous lake wolves descends on it to make slashing runs on the fins [hooks] in an attempt to disable it and haggle it up at leisure.
    Of course, each slash will result in a big treble hook in a toothy mouth...

I'm sure you know what happens next...

I have found that what works for bass works for pike just my 2 cents,
    and i am sure a pike is not gonna turn down a healthy lookin trout.

Default They work

Plastics do work great for pike. The best ice fishing lure to hit the market in the last 5 years is the Storm Wildeye pike in 4, 5, or 6" versions. The only problem I see with swimbaits for pike is economics. The big ones can be very pricey, and will only last a couple fish- sometimes they don't make it past the first one! If the lake you're fishing has fish that are worth taking a $20+ gamble on, then by all means, use them! As its often said, big baits, big fish! Personally, I would just take them out when nothing else was working, because I hate having all my tackle shredded by hammerhandles. I don't mind so much if the lure only costs a dollar or two.

They work for me.

Default pricey

A little on the pricey side. You can't afford to get them snagged. Hopefully the prices will come down in the near future.

Default One of those lures

Is worth about 200 pike I would say.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Pike

I fished a lot for them on rivers back east. One of my main stays was a 4" white Mr. Twister, weedless hook and a single gold or silver spinner up front. The length of the spinner usually meant that on the fish less than 36" a leader was not needed. Targeting bigger waters such as the St. Lawrence River I used a 12" leader. There were also gars and muskies there so a leader was needed.

With the weedless hook, you can troll right along the weed beds, cast into them and such. Worked pretty effectively. A Red Eye was also good in more open waters as was a red and white Dare Devil.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default anything it seems

I even cut off a piece of pike liver I was filleting and threw it in and instantly had a 28 incher once. Those things are mean!
    I bet a weedless plastic worm would work really good but would be torn to shreds with one fish.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Some of my earliest memories of fishing were of the huge pike my Dad and uncles would catch (in Upstate New York and Quebec) on 12" suckers. Fish that literally wouldn't fit in a big galvanized washtub and that would feed 10 people with lots of leftovers.

Since then, I've caught pike on worms and other soft plastics, Rattletraps, big bass spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, surface plugs like Jitterbugs and hula poppers, crankbaits, big spoons, etc that I get from visiting friends and relatives.

I fish for pike just like bass, except I avoid kissing them and releasing them.
    They fry up much better than bass...

Keep some spoons around too. They work well and I've never had a fish distroy one.

actually a pink sluggo works quite well on pike! And it does get torn up but not typically as fast as you'd think. And when it does, a simple fix with a lighter is usually enough to make a quick fix for awhile anyways.

I've found atleast what little pike fishign I do do up here that the pink sluggo and a metalic blue with silver belly worked very well for pike in the interior.

A dead hearing hooked through the back under a windless tip up does quite well in the winter, much better then hardware, atleast for me.

thanks guys...So I should be coming up around june. Will there still be big pike up shallow or would I need to look deeper.

I'm not really to worried about ruining a few lures. I got some that have been abused by the bass down here that I would gladly give up for a monster pike.

I have a few other wooden swimbaits that wouldn't get tore up, so I'll probably bring those too. Along with a few of the suggestions made here.

From what I've been reading a hike to red shirt or surrounding lakes with a float tube would be the ticket. Unless someone wants to pick up a hitchhiker and show me how it's done

Here's a pic of CA trout-eating machine, a few ounces below 10lbs. This lure was actually a defect and huddleston sent me two replacements.