Thread: New to State and Snowmachining - need advise

Default New to State and Snowmachining - need advise

Moved up to AK this summer so this is the families first winter. Just bought two used machines with a trailer. They are "learner" machines to build our experience base. Our problem (challenge) is that we are all dressed up and don't know where to go.

Here is what I am imagining. Load them up, drive up to an hour (we live in Palmer) and park at a trail head, unload them and drive on a trail for an hour or so.

Any suggestions?

Please be specific as just saying, "oh man, you gotta go to Hatchers Pass" doesn't really mean anything to me. I've been there in the summer but haven't a clue where to go for SM (snow machining). So if you could (and if anyone answers this), could you please be as specific as possible.

I know this might be annoying to some as it is a really BASIC question, but for anyone who would help us out .... much obliged.

Thanks

Default MatSu Moto Mushers

Check with the local snowmobile dealers and get the contacts for MatSu Moto Mushers. These organization will help you out and has people just like you who are new to the sport. Also there are area maps available for the Willow area / trails and the Big Lake area trails.

Contact fellow member "Trail Boss" he can help.

Default I'll tell you where to go...

and where to get off...

First, go fetch up one of the trail maps created by Winter Park Cabins of Willow. All, as in both gas stations in Willow have them...they can be had for 2 bucks. Just about all the snowmachines shops in the Valley have them, too. Well, the good ones do, like Mike at House of Yamaha in Big Lake.

Then find the Willow Community Center and park there for free. Wondering where that is? Look for the longest street sign on God's green earth, left side of the Parks, coming from Palmer...the sign is your typical white on green street sign, i.e. Whining Birch Drive and Dead Birch Lane 'cept this one is 7 feet long, cause they spell out Willow Community Center Boulevard or something.

Why am I suggesting Willow for beginners? Simple it's the least "technical" riding to be had in the Valley. The Willow Trails system is easy riding for the WHOLE family. The grooming is superb, and the trails are so well marked Stevie Wonder could do it in the dark. It's where we'll take my mother-in-law from So.Cal when it warms a tad.

We were new to this just two seasons ago...we know enough now to be dangerous.

Now go make a carbon footprint.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default Great place to start!!!

These guys got it figger out! Willow is one of the best places to start with a family. The Willow Trail Comm. has help make this a gateway trail system to southcentral great riding! Come and enjoy the great outdoors!
    If you need more info sent me a P.M.

Default Thanks Folks!

I really appreciate the info. I was wondering if anyone would answer such a newbian question - you guys came through, thanks.

Default If you are

like me, then make sure you know how to start them before you get "there."
    Have fun. Most of us have been in your situation.