Thread: Duncan Gilchrist, Author of Sheep Hunting Books

Default Duncan Gilchrist, Author of Sheep Hunting Books

Has anyone read any of his books about sheep hunting, if so what did you think, did you learn anything from them or are they a collection of stories with no real information?

Default duncan books

I have a couple of them and enjoyed them. I have Hunt High, and Quest For Dall Rams. Good information in my opinion.

I have a handful of his works, including some of his videos and plan on getting more. Both Dalls and Bighorn books and a couple dall videos. Wanting the hunt high stuff for goat and is it a billy or nanny video.

Actually got to talk to him in 02 just a few months before he passed. Great man!!!! We talked about the valley of the rams, and my 02 ram.

Thumbs up

I own most if not all the books he wrote. I have spoke to him on the phone in 2002.

The books were excellent, but the info' on gear was dated. No sheep or goar hunting library is complete without his books.

A great man and his wife was very nice as well. I bought from her after his passing.

Default Duncan Gilchrist

I guess I have most (but not all) of his books. Accomplished mountain hunter - good reading - some useful info and pearls but as pointed out equipment info is dated - have talked to him in the past and specifically where his "Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range" took place when he was up here for one of the local FNAWS sheep days back when they were worth going to.

I have All About Bears, Hunt High and Montana, Land of Giant Rams. The book about Montana Rams is dated, as the FWP has to deal with big population swings, die offs, etc. in Montana.

I like all of his books and a heck of a good guy. When I worked at Dana Design way back I traded him a backpack for a New Zealand Swandri (wool jacket thing). He was humble, lived what he wrote about and lived long term in the areas that he hunted and wrote about. Not a common set of attributes.

I have " Quest for Dall Rams"

I have read it numerous times. He is great author, and the book is a pleasure to read. He is the kind of guy you would love to meet in person. I have have heard he has passed away.

Duncan was a great man, I feel honored to have met him. A man with a passion for sheep that would be hard to rival. I have many of his books, not all...but I will. He wrote for those of us that felt his passion, not to tell us how to do it, but how he did it. I think most of us would be amazed and envious to know just how many days he spent amongst sheep. If you really want to see some amazing footage, get a hold of some of his early bighorn videos from the early 90's...unreal amount of 190 plus rams, never to be rivaled on video. Overall, I cannot say enough good about Duncan. I just wish I would have had the chance to learn more from him.

Default Duncan's books

I moved to Haines, AK just after Duncan left but found his books at the local library (all original and signed). I know many of his hunting partners referenced in his books and they all speak highly of him. I just can't get them to reveal the location of his secret valley. While Duncan wrote lots about sheep hunting, he's probably done more to elevate the mountain goat to its rightful status as a premiere alpine trophy. But if you've hunted goats, you already know this.

His books are informative. Yes, some are collections of stories, but they make for good armchair hunting and are a good read. Unless one is the consummate mountain hunter one is bound to pick up some useful tidbits of info.

Default Video's

Where can you get a copy of the video's, would make a nice addition to any collection.

Terry