Thread: First sheep back from taxi

Default First sheep back from taxi

Just got my first sheep back from my taxidermist. I like seeing other members mounts when they get them back so I figured I would post a quick pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty sheep! Just curious what did it age at? It is always fun to try and age them but hard with a front view like this. All we have is pics this time of year can't wait till I get the chance to age one in the field one last time through my Leupold! Congrats on a great sheep, pretty mount, and a successful hunt!

Beautiful animal. Just Majestic. Looks like very nice work
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default age

Thanks Lujon. He was 9 years old and not quite full curl. I saw this ram on the first day I flew in (couldnt hunt) about 100 yards from camp. We looked at him through my partners Swarowvski for about an hour getting a really good look at him.

Default nice sheep

nice one sir, hopefully this will be my year!!

Default heres the mount of my first sheep

and theres a picture of my second sheep ....work in progress i actually changed styles...went with an upright instead of the semi sneak
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Looks good Kyle!

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    and theres a picture of my second sheep ....work in progress i actually changed styles...went with an upright instead of the semi sneak
    Salsa,

That ram on the left sure has some drop! You don't see that a lot anymore, it seems. Nice to know they're still around.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

shark, that semi-sneak is exactly the pose I'm looking for. Can you please tell me who made the form so I can refer my taxidermist? Thanks. kc

Default Congrats

Congrats on a fine sheep. I like the semi-sneek myself. I just ordered two semi-sneek bou mounts from mckenzie. The shipping was $10.00, and I received all of the stuff in three days.

What was your method for skinning, perserving, and transporting the hide / head / horns, etc?

Default sheep on

Quote Originally Posted by KCrowley View Post
    shark, that semi-sneak is exactly the pose I'm looking for. Can you please tell me who made the form so I can refer my taxidermist? Thanks. kc
    thats actually a JONAS form....any taxidermist will know about JONAS....if they don't take it somewhere else.........the sheep on the left is a DCUA ram......i skin out my head and everything in the field and try to keep the blood moist...until you can get it down to a creek or something....then wash all of it out....then tak the hide and "snap" the water out of it....prepeared to get wet....then turn the ears lips and nose and flesh the hide and wash it again...and snap it real good this time....i like to spend a whole extra day in the field taking care of my hide...then let some of the water drip out.....after a while salt it and let it drain....if its a nice enough day it should actually get pretty dry....as for the horns or whatever that depends on if you want a european or not...

thats actually a JONAS form....any taxidermist will know about JONAS....if they don't take it somewhere else.........the sheep on the left is a DCUA ram......i skin out my head and everything in the field and try to keep the blood moist...until you can get it down to a creek or something....then wash all of it out....then tak the hide and "snap" the water out of it....prepeared to get wet....then turn the ears lips and nose and flesh the hide and wash it again...and snap it real good this time....i like to spend a whole extra day in the field taking care of my hide...then let some of the water drip out.....after a while salt it and let it drain....if its a nice enough day it should actually get pretty dry....as for the horns or whatever that depends on if you want a european or not...

Well, I am guessing my budget will be a non - european mount. However, I would like to have the hide tanned. I am pretty confident I could do the horn mount myself, but maybe my ignorace is more than I think!

Sounds like a pretty decent process, how much salt do you take along?

Default atleast enough to do it once

i ussually take enough salt to salt a lifesize skin once.....i take a large gallon ziploc and fill it then flatten it out....then put it upside down in another large ziploc...its probably 4 or 5 pounds.....just did a sheep horn mount the other day....i'm not real fond of them...i'd suggest doing a european...once you pop off the horns all you gotta really do is boil and bleach the skull....like a bear

Default My first sheep too

Congrats ward17!-- here's a couple photos of my first sheep -- taken in Aug 07 & just back from the taxidermist -- still can't believe he's mine! It took three attempts at sheep hunts to finally get one, but by golly it was worth it -- and the meat ... OMG (as my daughter would say) -- best game meat I've ever had!

greatland - Wow, that's a beaut for your first sheep! Many sheep hunters spend their whole lives trying to find a sheep of that caliber. Congrats!

Default Thanks - hesitated even on this guy

Thanks Brian -- hanging there on the wall, it's obvious he's legal, but we sat and glassed him for 3 hours from 225 yards before we were convinced he (& his buddy) were legal. The most nervous 5 minutes of my 2007 were moments between the time I pulled the trigger & the time I stood by his side -- what a relief and emotional rush it was then, standing there looking at this beautiful, legal (whew) animal.