Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Gun needs Identified, help....

  1. #1
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default Gun needs Identified, help....

    Hi guys and gals, one of the guns that was stolen from my home I need help to identify the name. I bought this .22 revolver pistol from the ADN classifieds about 15yrs ago. Shot about 2 boxes of ammo through it and put it away never to shot it again, so, I can't remember the brand name of it. It was some off brand GERMAN name. I do remember the gunsmith telling me that this company was trying to make them look like the RUGER BLACKHAWKS.

    The german name started with the letter "H". i DO REMEMEBR THAT, LOL.

    Thanks Curt

  2. #2
    Member Bushpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Heckler and Koch? H&K
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.


    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

    Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    266

    Default Maybe...

    Hawes Sauer? Just a thought.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    'Huberti' may be it. Don't know though. But I wasn't sure if Huberti was Italian or German..

    Good luck,

    ruffle

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default ID Revolver

    Perhaps it was a Herters - they were made by JP Sauer in Germany for Herters and looked something like a Blackhawk. I lost my respect for J P Sauer after I examined a few of the Herters pistols they made!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Perhaps it was a Herters - they were made by JP Sauer in Germany for Herters and looked something like a Blackhawk. I lost my respect for J P Sauer after I examined a few of the Herters pistols they made!
    Really?
    I've only seen a couple of Herters SA revolvers. I thought they were well made.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Interior Alaska
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Herters didn't even occur to me; the last time I played with one of those was about 35-36 years ago, and beloinged to his father. But they were of the 'cowboy gun' design, while the one that I recall handling seems, in my mind's eye, to have had a gloss nickel finish. (????)

    The Huberti revolver line also offered a 'cowboy style' revolver; single action, 4-1/2" - 6" bbl, etc.

    I think that I recently saw a Herter's revolver on one of the mainstream gun auction forums not too long ago (3-4 months??).

    Neither they or the Huberti guns fetch much on the market these days, from the few that I've seen advertised, unless there's a collector's issue that I haven't encountered. Otherwise, most of the pricing I've personally seen associated with them has been in the $200.00 to $300.00 range.

    Sentimental value's a whole 'nuther thing, though..

    ruffle

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    I would bet its a Hawes. If memory serves me correctly I seen a couple of them in the early 1970's. Looked very similar to a Ruger single action .357
    Tennessee

  9. #9
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    The HAWES Lawman and Marshall revolvers were German made.
    As previously mentioned many of the revolvers imported and sold under the HERTERS brand name were made by JP SAUER in Germany.
    There were also several models of Arminius revolvers made in Germany.
    Then there is the Korth series of revolvers which are super expensive.

    Uberti and Armi San Marco are Italian gunmakers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  10. #10
    Member alaskamace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    84

    Default

    H. SCHMIDT maybe? I have a single-action .22 made in Germany.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

  11. #11
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Perhaps it was a Herters - they were made by JP Sauer in Germany for Herters and looked something like a Blackhawk. I lost my respect for J P Sauer after I examined a few of the Herters pistols they made!
    THATS IT! Herters.

    It had a tacky grip on it, white plastic with brown enscribed lines, like a old time cap gun look alike. I pair $30.00 for it then paid $85.00 to get a nice custom wood grip made. Knew if I herad the name It would ring a bell.

    Thanks, Curt

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Herter's SAA .22 with adj sights

    "Herter's Authentic Western Singel Action SIx Shot Revolver with Adjustable Sights"

    I pulled out my 1968 Herter's catalg and have the pistol on page 543 complete with a picture showing the cheap plastic imitation stag grips. It sold for $19.95, checkered walnut grips were $3.00, or you could get checked rosewood grips for $4.47.

    If you PM me your email address I'll send you a .pdf scan of the page.

    Nothing like bringing back memories esp. fond ones!




    Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    THATS IT! Herters.

    It had a tacky grip on it, white plastic with brown enscribed lines, like a old time cap gun look alike. I pair $30.00 for it then paid $85.00 to get a nice custom wood grip made. Knew if I herad the name It would ring a bell.

    Thanks, Curt

  13. #13

    Default Jack

    It sounds like a revolver I had, wish I hadn't let it go. Mine was in .22 Mag. with fixed sights and plastic "staghorn" grips. It was superbly accurate, and I wish I had the experience to appreciate how extraordinary that was at the time. I killed lots of small game, rabbits and fool hens with it for the pot, and haven't found a camp gun to compare with it since. It was made, as I recall, by J.P. Sauer and Sohns in Germany. It wasn't expensive (mostly due to the favorable exchange rate between the Mark and the Dollar) at the time. Oh, well, I let it go years ago, and the guy who bought it is still giggling. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Jack.

  14. #14
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    "Herter's Authentic Western Singel Action SIx Shot Revolver with Adjustable Sights"

    I pulled out my 1968 Herter's catalg and have the pistol on page 543 complete with a picture showing the cheap plastic imitation stag grips. It sold for $19.95, checkered walnut grips were $3.00, or you could get checked rosewood grips for $4.47.

    If you PM me your email address I'll send you a .pdf scan of the page.

    Nothing like bringing back memories esp. fond ones!
    PM SENT! Thank you so much!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I have a .22 mag revolver that I think is made by JP Sauer also.
    My mom gave it to me after it sat ignored 20 something years.

    I have not shot it yet. Hopefully it will be accurate also.

  16. #16

    Default Correction

    Just an amiable correction. It is Uberti, not Huberti. This is the Italian gunmaker who makes some fine repro guns these days.

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morgan View Post
    It sounds like a revolver I had, wish I hadn't let it go. Mine was in .22 Mag. with fixed sights and plastic "staghorn" grips. It was superbly accurate, and I wish I had the experience to appreciate how extraordinary that was at the time. I killed lots of small game, rabbits and fool hens with it for the pot, and haven't found a camp gun to compare with it since. It was made, as I recall, by J.P. Sauer and Sohns in Germany. It wasn't expensive (mostly due to the favorable exchange rate between the Mark and the Dollar) at the time. Oh, well, I let it go years ago, and the guy who bought it is still giggling. Hindsight is 20/20.
    Jack.

    Jack, My father purchased this Herders .22 handgun from his brother back in the late 70's. He paid him $100.00 for it. He then gave it to my wife as a present. She still has it. It's like new. Now that my father's passed away, I'd like to sell it. Any idea what it's worth?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Holy cow, lol, you brought up a three year old thread and joined the forum just to ask this?
    List the revolver on gunbrokers for the best possible price.
    Tennessee

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Curt, I have the handgun you described. It's like new. My uncle purchased it from Herter's back in the 70's. I have some pictures of it if your interested. Let me know and I can send the photos via e-mail.

    Steve P

  20. #20
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE P View Post
    Curt, I have the handgun you described. It's like new. My uncle purchased it from Herter's back in the 70's. I have some pictures of it if your interested. Let me know and I can send the photos via e-mail.

    Steve P
    WOW, very old thread, indeed! LOL...... Steve, thanks for the offer, but I doubt if I will ever see that gun again. Back then (when our house was robbed) I needed info for the police and insurance Co. That's been long over.

    Thanks again tho,
    Curt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •