Thread: Which Compact Spotting Scope?

Default Which Compact Spotting Scope?

I've been looking at buying a small, lightweight spotting scopt. The two smallest waterproof scopes I've found are:

Leupold 10-20x40 Gold Ring Compact Spotting Scope
    Nikon Fieldscope ED 13-30X50

The Leupold sells for @$350.00 and weighs about 16 oz. The Nikon sells for @ $700.00 and weighs a couple ounces more. The Leupold is rubber armoured. The Nikon is not (it was apparently designed with birders not hunters in mind.)

Anyone have any experience with these scopes? Any opinions as to quality of the optics?

Default What For

What are your intended uses? I have a Baush & Lomb Elite w/Rainguard 15-45x60 posted on the swap and sell forum. This is an excellent compact lightweight spotter for hunting. Only reason I'm selling is because I just got a new Swarovski. PM me if interested. I am going to come down on the price also.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Purpose

Intended use is for backpack hunting, scouting, etc.

Thanks for the offer but I've already got a Leupold 12-40x60 and am really looking for the smallest, lightest compact I can find - both the Leupold and Nikon compacts are under 20 oz.

Default If its for hunting.....

If its for hunting there is a large difference between spotting scope between the ones you stated and the other scopes on the market. Swarovski and Zeiss make great scopes that would probably save you many miles while scouting and hiking. Granted they weigh on average a full pound more than the 20 ounces you are looking at. But if it was me I'd much rather pack an extra pound that walk a extra miles to find out what you are looking at is sublegal/ not what you are looking for. Also the scope I listed above are expensive, but I also heard good things about the Pentax scopes which are less expensive, but still are in a similar weight category as the zeiss and swarovski.

A buddy of mine learned this lesson the hard way. Though all spotting scope are created equal or atleast there isn't that much difference between them so he bought a winchester spotting scope. Took it out a few times moose hunting and while he was determining if the moose had antler I was counting brow tines on my Swarovski. Needless to say now he's got a swarovski as well. Just my opinion I think you'd be money ahead and a lot happier if you spend a little more money and look at it as an investment than just looking at spotting scope on the weight issue alone.

I have looked through both of them and I like the Nikon ED 50 a lot more than the Leupold.