Thread: Fishing Video

Default Fishing Video

I just got done editing a promo video for a friend of mine. He supplied the footage and I did the editing. I put the video and a photo slide show on DVD for him to send out

I'm not posting here to advertise or promote his business. I think the video turned out pretty good though. Have a look:

http://www.stage6.com/user/Alasken/v...ichmonds-Promo

I wouldn't download anything off this site.

I just stupidly downloaded the needed crap to view the video and it installed a stage6/yahoo toolbar and reset my homepage to yahoo.

I am going to run a spyware program now to see what else I might have just loaded on to my computer.

Thanks.

yea when i saw i had to download something I said no way. Im not taking any chances on getting my comp fried
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

All the download is is a plugin "needed crap" for your media player called divx. The company that deveoloped the plugin also created the Stage6 site. It's harmless.
    Just google "divx player" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    I think you guys are a little paranoid, but I guess I can unuderstand that. One of the reaasons I'll always use a MAC.

My 2 cents as an IT guy. The download is safe, its just the Divx webplayer. However having said the above, whenever companies give stuff away for free they are notorious for bundling in harmless but irritating add-ons (yahoo and google toolbars mainly). It is a way to generate revenue. I went to the site, and it played for me w/o having to download anything additional, but this is because I regularly use the Divx codec.

alasken, care to explain the new changes to my computer that took place right after the download?

thanks again.

Yeah the Yahoo toolbar is evil. It will reset your homepage to Yahoo. It should have been an optional add-on to the download as it is for the main Divx download. IF it wasn't optional then that is just bad on them. I do my best to never install the toolbars from anyone. You should be able to uninstall it from add-remove programs. I can think of other free programs that have bundled toolbars: Both Java and anything free from Adobe wants to install the Google toolbar.

Nice video.

thanks for the info, karandas.

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    I wouldn't download anything off this site.

I just stupidly downloaded the needed crap to view the video and it installed a stage6/yahoo toolbar and reset my homepage to yahoo.

I am going to run a spyware program now to see what else I might have just loaded on to my computer.

Thanks.
    I don't think I can explain what happened. I apologize if I made you download something without you understanding what you were downloading.
    I've used the divx plugin for a long time.
    Maybe I should have explained the divx thing in my original post. Here's a link which should only include the plugin:
    http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/
    Last edited by Alasken; 01-12-2008 at 16:39. Reason: added link

thanks you share

Seems like it would be easier to convert it to one of the many standard formats. If this is a promo for a lodge, I would think they would get many more views if it did not need to have a plug in to view.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I just got done editing a promo video for a friend of mine. He supplied the footage and I did the editing. I put the video and a photo slide show on DVD for him to send out

I'm not posting here to advertise or promote his business. I think the video turned out pretty good though. Have a look:

http://www.stage6.com/user/Alasken/v...ichmonds-Promo
    A better idea is to place it on YouTube...or VIMEO.com and put everyone's mind at ease.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel