Thread: Yamaha Bravo 250

Default Yamaha Bravo 250

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha Bravo 250 Longtrack? Seen that River & Sea Marine carries the 2008 models as they are being advertised in the Greatlander Bushmailer. Been looking for a used one to see what they would sell for. Thanks

Default Bravo

You almost never see a Bravo used,and if you do them seem to be abused. The Bravo has been around for a long time 25 yrs or so and has a good reputation as reliable. It ain't the fastest sled on the snow but it gets you there and back. No frills, bells or whistles when compared to newer designed sleds. Just reliability.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Great Machine

It won't win any hill climbs, but then it won't hurt your pocket book either. Great on gas and floats easily. It is a standard bush machine for most villages. Light in weight so anyone can lift it out of hole too. One cylinder and a proven engine.

Guys in the bush haul logs with them, hunt and trap. If they were making it when I bought my Scandic, I probably would have bought the Bravo instead. They were out of production for a bit but demand in Alaska and northern Canada made limited production runs viable for Yamaha.

For a pure work machine they can hardly be beaten. Only thing I thing is better is the old Enticer 340.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

A local here in the village just got one in this winter and so far it seems to be running great for him. Found a stock pic of the sled online. Not bad @ all. I used to own an Enticer 340 LT, bought one when they first came out. Used to drive circles around everyone up in the mountains on caribou hunts in deep snow. Usually I ended up pulling out the other sleds, weren't too many long tracks around back in those days. I recall the Scandic came out that year as well, my uncle bought one. We would drive up the sides of mountains while everyone else would stay at the base. Good hunting trips back then.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 03-17-2008 at 19:17.

Default good little machine.

I think the bravo is the one with the axillary fuel tank right? I really like that feature. Found a good deal on a Tundra R otherwise I would be running around on a bravo. Norther Power Sports has them for under 4 grand right now.

Default Specs

Here is the tech info I found on the Bravo, found it on a Yamaha Canada website. Guess it is still available there too. Features stated that the sled has dual fuel tanks total of 24.3 liters. Includes a primer for cold weather starting too.

Engine 2-Stroke 249cc
    Cylinders Single Cylinder
    Bore and Stroke 70 X 64 mm
    Fuel Delivery Keihin BD32-28 X 1
    Exhaust Single pipe
    Disc Brake Type Mechanical disc

Suspension (Front) Leaf spring
    Front shocks Hydraulic
    Front Travel 4" / 100 mm
    Suspension (Rear) Slide rail
    Rear Shocks KYB Hydraulic
    Rear Travel 4 " / 100 mm

Track (WxLxH) 15" x 136" x .75"
    Ski stance C to C 750mm (29.5")
    Fuel Capacity 24.3 litres
    Hand and Thumb warmers Optional
    Headlights Optional
    Colour(s) Dark Green Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    It won't win any hill climbs...
    Eau contraire! I've got a beast of a bravo (modded out thanks to polarisblake!) and I've outclimbed much newer and larger machines. Its all about the switchback!! The bravo is an awesome machine and it will float and go just about anywhere in the deep stuff.

With the cost of gas these days, ($5.40/gal here in the village) it may be time for me to start seriously considering more fuel efficient snowmachines. The 08 Yamaha Bravo BR250 with a 249cc engine and the 05 Skidoo Skandic Tundra with the 280F engine would be good fuel efficient/low maintenance sleds. Either one would be a good machine for everyday tasks around the village as well as out in the field hunting, getting firewood or packing water.
    hunt_ak, sounds like you have a hillclimber there, who is your source for aftermarket parts? Thanks

I broke down (pun intended) and bought a new bravo last winter after getting tired of fixing my tundra on the trail (mainly recoil problems). It is a great little machine for TRAIL riding or for breaking trail in light powder. It doesnt even come close to the capabilities of the Tundra IMO, for overflow, wet snow, climbing, etc. There is just such a small distance between the bottom of the track and the foot rail platform that if you trench the track at all, you end up hung up. Great machine though. Starts easily at -25, doesnt use much gas and hasnt even considered breaking down on me on the trail (yet). AND its really light (unless its bogged down in frozen overflow!! ) Highly recommend it for trail riding and doing chores around the cabin.

Default Let it snow!

Just picked up a new Bravo for the line this year...it's gonna be a fun winter.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Just picked up a new Bravo for the line this year...it's gonna be a fun winter.

Dude, knock it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    With the cost of gas these days, ($5.40/gal here in the village) it may be time for me to start seriously considering more fuel efficient snowmachines. The 08 Yamaha Bravo BR250 with a 249cc engine and the 05 Skidoo Skandic Tundra with the 280F engine would be good fuel efficient/low maintenance sleds. Either one would be a good machine for everyday tasks around the village as well as out in the field hunting, getting firewood or packing water.
    hunt_ak, sounds like you have a hillclimber there, who is your source for aftermarket parts? Thanks
    Try for a 2007 or newer 300F. There is an issue with the clutching. 2005 and 2006 need to be upgraded to 2007 clutches. search dootalk.