Thread: SALCHA River running

Default SALCHA River running

I posted this under canoeing as well, then figured this might be a better forum for it.
    I plan to canoe up the Salcha River to just past Porcupine Creek. I would like some info on the river conditions ie: width, depth, obstacles.
    My plans are for a trip the first of Sept. Thanks for any help.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 1st of Sept???

The last place I would be in a canoe on the 1st of Sept. is on the Salcha or Goodpaster. There's going to be so many airboats and and jets flying by you're bound to get dumped!

I have a 22' inboard jet and you could not pay me to run the Salcha during moose season - It will certainly not be a wilderness experience if that is what you are looking for.

Default Bring some friends

You should go and bring a few friends. The Salcha is a good moose hunting river.
    Tim

Brav, I have a place on the Salcha and the LAST place I want to be on Sept 1 is on the Salcha. Sure it's a great river, beautiful water, fishings not bad, and you'll have a good time if you dont mind lots of noise and traffic, plus the hunting is tough at best, population density is fairly low. The airboat population is strong and you either live with it or go home. It's loud and there's a bunch of it. If you are just going for the float or the trip in general, go after the first two weeks of moose season and a lot of the heavy traffic will be gone, but not all of it. Last fall (07) the parking lot was jammed full, all the overflow was full and there were probably 20-40 rigs parked on the gravel bar. Going early might not help either because there is a caribou season open up there and it gets some traffic as well.
    As for the river if you are determined to go, it will be whatever it gives you depending on rainfall and such. It's plenty navigable that far up if you have enough water, width is OK, lots of log jams, splits and less than thrilling nasties in inopportune spots. Canoe with a kicker? Going that far up? Prop or jet? Jet not so bad, prop just stay home. There's a reason the outboard jet was invented. Later, Oz

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the river. I'll try to avoid the moose rush, ( don't intend to hunt moose) and go earlier in Aug. Our inboard jet canoes,can run in very skinny water and fit between close rocks. Still have to portage at beaver dams and log jams though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !