Thread: SALCHA River running

Default SALCHA River running

I'm planning a trip up the Salcha River to just past Porcupine Creek. Anyone have any info the river conditions, width , depth, or obstacles. This would be the first part of Sept.
    Thanks for your help.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Brave Soul

I got to say that anyone taking to the Salcha during moose season will be very busy watching out for the parade of jet and airboats that hit it hard. The water can drop fast that time of year and leave you with out the water to get back. Bunch of traffic is what I'm trying to say. Keep your ears open and be cautious.

Good Luck

Steve

Default Traffic

How far up the river does the traffic go. I know there is a lot of air boat traffic on the river, maybe they won't blow our canoes off the river.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Single narrow channel up high. at least 75 miles or so. Pretty urban up that way lots of cabins, some even have riding mowers. After the splits you should see less traffic. Have not been that far myself.

Steve

Default salcha

Airboats can get as far as Paldo Creek. They can go farther in really high water, but otherwise there is a rock garden just upstream of Paldo. Jet boats can get as far as the North Fork. I floated down from Paldo a couple years ago and it was pretty busy with all the power boat traffic.

Default Canoeing

If you portage around the rock garden above Paldo Creek; how would the river running be in an inboard jet canoe. Up above this obstacle?

Default canoe?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01;
    ...running be in an inboard jet canoe.
    Curious. What kind of canoe do you have w/ an inboard jet? I am selling a riverboat just to go that route. Thanks. john

Default Jet Canoe

I am building 2 prototype inboard jet canoes and will test them this spring and summer. These canoes are 40" at the beam, 15 1/2 feet long, flat bottomed for stability, and can carry 650 lbs. I thought the Salcha would be a good test and might get a Caribou to boot.

Default pics

Pls post some pics whenever you get some. Sounds interesting. j

Default OK

I will post some pics(if I can figure out how; never done that before) as soon as the first is complete. Been sick last 3-4 days so haven't been working on boat. But should be complete by end of month. Planning water trial around first week of Feb.