Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some info

Default Need some info

Will be in Alaska from july 21 to august 2 2008. My wife and I are both fishing maniacs. We would like to try it at least one day. we will land in Anchorage, rent an Rv and travel around for 10 days. Any suggestions?

Tks a lot

Default If you don't

mind a little company, the confluence of the Russian & Kenai rivers should have a red salmon or two around.

The red fishing on the kenai and russian should be very very good. Rainbow and dolly fishing on quartz creek,and the russian river is always fun. Rainbows should just starting to heat up a bit on the kenai. Homer has good halibut fishing also and the silver fishing in seward should be hitting its stride too. One thing for sure but a milepost as it is worth it for all the information it has. Also keep checking out this site and ask questions. Most people like to help others out. Also you can email me with any questions or thoughts you might have and I would be more than happy to try and help you out.

chuck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Susitna Valley

There a plenty of places to fish along the Parks Highway, and if you have an RV, I'm assuming that you may be traveling north to view Denali (Mt. McKinley)? I've sent you a PM with some more specifics.

Have Fun!

Tim
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

Default Crossover!

Don't miss the Palmer to Willow crossover via the Hatcher Pass!

It's a stunner!

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default target pinks

If you like catching, then target pinks. There may be some in Hope at that time. In 2006 (late aug/early sept) we clobbered them in soldotna from the boardwalk. You don't even need waders. Hooked 60+ fish a day. Great fight on a 5 wt. They'll bite anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    mind a little company, the confluence of the Russian & Kenai rivers should have a red salmon or two around.

That's funny, but true!
    Several years ago my buddy and I were headed home from a day of Halibut fishing at Deep Creek and saw that same situation fully in view of the hwy at that same spot. The floggers were elbow to elbow on both sides for several hundred yards in both directions
    However we were so intrigued, we decided to get the poles out.
    But we hiked up stream for about 45 minutes and there was literally no one there...well at least they were about 3-4 hundred yards apart. With in minutes we limited out with exceptionally nice salmon.
    But if one braves the hike, ya aught to be fore-warned, BEAR are thick during the run, so pack some lead and be very smart. BTW, this is the time to make sure you can out run your fishing buddy...just tell him HE has to drop HIS fish and then hurry up

Oh ya, almost forgot.....back to the original subject...

Heading south to Seward is exceptional...scenic and very fishable. Also heading towards Homer is good and you will go by the above mentioned rivers, plus Deep Creek has some decent fishing opportunities. If ya do go to Deep Creek, I recommend Chihuly's Charters. We didn't waist any time to catch decent Halibut. We motored out about 30 minutes or so and did awesome in a very short time. Decent Lings out there too.

Don't mind the chickens, my buddy that lives there settles for the little ones..."for the quality of eat'n", besides, he has a proxy and is good for the extra limit.

Default No fun

That doesn't look fun at all. I will stick with my little fishing spots in Kodiak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post
    Oh ya, almost forgot.....back to the original subject...

Heading south to Seward is exceptional...scenic and very fishable. Also heading towards Homer is good and you will go by the above mentioned rivers, plus Deep Creek has some decent fishing opportunities. If ya do go to Deep Creek, I recommend Chihuly's Charters. We didn't waist any time to catch decent Halibut. We motored out about 30 minutes or so and did awesome in a very short time. Decent Lings out there too.

Don't mind the chickens, my buddy that lives there settles for the little ones..."for the quality of eat'n", besides, he has a proxy and is good for the extra limit.

Better tell your buddy that you can't use a Proxy for halibut!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Better tell your buddy that you can't use a Proxy for halibut!!!!!
    It was several years ago, and I'm sure he was perfectly legal. (I personally don't know how they work, but I do remember he had to show it to the guide for verification.)

There was a lot of confusion over the years, since halibut are federally managed a proxy can't be used. The law finally got some press a few years ago and cleared up a lot of confusion.

Personally, I wish we could use a proxy for halibut, that is a really rough trip for our elders. I wanted to get one for a 72 yr old Vet with a metal Femur bone and would cramp up something feirce on the boat and even worse at night. His last trip out with us about killed him, but he got a 147 lber, his biggest since moving up here in the 60's. We would give him some of our halibut when we went but it would have been nice to have a proxy being that we happy catching chickens.

Default Bed Springs Hole; posted by Shawn on this thread...

What a glory hole that is!
    Perhaps Kodiak's most fameous!

I know it well, very well.

I sang to the fish there, and ripped my lines so many times that I blew sweat in the hot summer sun.

The Navy brought acesss to that hole, and hacked out 17.5 of road during WWII so that they could look out for enemy submarines.

The Japaneese never came; but the fish did, just like they had done for eons before and eons aftwards.

Who would ever have believed a war would lead to one the Emerald Isle's finest fishing spots?

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    That doesn't look fun at all. I will stick with my little fishing spots in Kodiak.
    I'm with you buddy....no crowds here:

Default KP or Valley

While the invitations to Kodiak are quite compelling, it is difficult to drive there from Anchorage. I think that with only 10 days you will have to be very delliberate and plan efficiently if you would like to see the area and do some fishing. I am most familiar with the Kenai Peninsula, so here are my recommendations:

I echo the recommendation for Chihuly's Charters. They are close, very experienced and fish well.

Other options for your time period, charter on the Kenai River for king salmon or sockeye in July or silvers and pinks in August; Kenai River for rainbows. Charter on the Kasilof for late kings (if terminal fishery is not in effect... ask before going fishing) or silvers.

DYI; Quartz creek for dollies/rainbows; Crescent Lake for grayling; Seward for silvers (charter or fish from the bank). Resurrection Creek for pinks;

Charter for rainbows or silvers in the Valley like the Deshka, Alexander, Lake cr, Susitna, etc.

Things you must see/do while here: Homer (220+/- miles from Anchorage); very much an arts oriented fishing town; very unique. Seward; Sea Life Center, Kenai Fjiords cruise and Exit Glacier. Hope; historic mining town. Kenai and Soldotna visitor/cultural centers and Kenai National Wildlife Refuge headquarters. Portage Glacier Visitor Center/cruise. The drive most anywhere in the southcentral region is very stunning with wildlife/scenery view opportunities around every corner.

Of course Denali (figure 1-2 days). And the list can go on... so much to do, so little time. The great thing is that there is virtually 18-20 hours of daylight during this time, so you can fish in the morning and explore in the afternoon.... sleep in the winter.

Hope that helps you in your planning. Good luck.

Default It all Depends

There are many types of fishing available that time of year, so it would depend on what you would like to do. If you are interested in a charter there are some great ones from Seward for a combination of fish: silvers, halibut, ling, and rock fish all in one day with some beautiful scenery and it is not a long drive from anchorage. You could also take a bunch of different fish home from just a one day trip. There are also numerous spots to try right off of the highway and many are less crowded than the above pictures. You might also consider going to Valdez, I think it is one of the most beautiful drives in the state and there opportunities to fish for rainbows, grayling, dolly, sockeye, and Kings along the drive as well. Going that direction I like the Klutina which is a fast water, but will have Sockeye and Kings that time of year and the highway crosses it. I would pick up a book called the Highway Angler and another one called the Milepost. I think you can find them through links on this site. Look through the books and narrow down what you might like and then ask some more specific questions on here and you shold be able to plan a great trip.

If you want to see fishing at its best check out the Russian River confluence, nothing like it. Just like in the pictures but it is still alot of fun to fish and watch.

Alaskafishingsuccess.com

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    jesus thats crowded,

the lower russian is really fun when there are no salmon and you are catching rainbows on dries at the feet of the floggers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

funny thing about that picture, it really isn't as crowded as it normally is. Looking down river, there is a fair amount of space. It is really bad when the line of people streches all the way past the high sand bank.

Thumbs up im from ohio.. need help here

ok i will be working in Denali park(forest )for a few months.. what lures and line (LBs) to get by with? ill start in april end in october - just some basics.. i want to do some real fishing while im out there... the fishing in ohio is nothing to brag about, but im sure some would argue - i dont want to go top of the line gear - but just looking for some unbiased advice that works.

I have never been to AK but i have the money to make a few investments for fun so i want to fish.. after october - who knows where i will go- but im up for adventure and make a little money too. feel free to PM me/email me with secrets for fishing in AK ( i will be in the middle of a forest - who am i going to tell? hahaha)

thx in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast