Thread: New Arrival....

Default New Arrival....

It's finally here. I found, on one of the gun sales web sites, a 1981 vintage S&W model 24 round butt, 3" gun in 44 special. Just had to have it with my birthday coming up. Anyway, the wife took another night job so I could afford to buy it and it got to town yesterday. The FBI made me wait another day, something about somewhere way back when, but I can pick it up today. Whoopie!!

These guns were part of an order by big S&W distributor Lew Horton, a quantity of about 2500 guns and until the recent square butt guns were made, it was the last run of the model 24, 44 spcl. Well the 44 spcl has always been special to me and I have found that the shorty magnum revolvers don't really offer magnum performance, just magnum noise and recoil. When the barrel is short the case needs to be short also. Now this is no flimsy light weight. Nor is it one of the new exotic metal ultra whiz-bangers. It is just that wonderful S&W super blue steel and a pair of rosewood combat grips. I think the grips are original but if not I do happen to have a set of Eagle boot grips for the round butt, just laying around. And of course, in anticipation of this little jewell's arrival, I have already ordered a Milt Sparks PMK belt holster for this one. I also ordered a matching holster for the wife's little 2 1/2" model 19, which she stole from me after taking a lady's pistol class here in town. It seems she took a liking to the revolver.

Anyway, this is one of those multi role carry guns. It could be used for social occasions or for a strole along the river to look for bear tracks. This requiring only a swap of ammo. It does offer good concealabilty under a jacket with the rounded butt and short barrel but still gives a full sized gun feel in a full sized caliber. It can be safely and rather mildly loaded to exceed the 45 ACP's performance even in this short tube. It will also work well with the 240-265 grain WFN style hard cast loads that exceed the effectiveness of all the lesser bore sizes. No it isn't a mag and can never be but it is a nice package and it can be a very persuasive tool for man or beast.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Congrats

It may not be the latest Whizz-Banger but man what a classic firearm. It has always been one of my favorite calibers. That and the 45 acp have a SPECIAL ( pun intended) place in my heart. Old EK, may he RIP, may have started the large bore magnum revolution but he did it with the 44 spl.n Great catch and HAPPY BIRTDAY !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Congrats, both on the Smith and the b'day.

On the general subject of 44 Specials, over the years I've whapped a fair number of deer with 240 grain FNs at factory velocities and no complaints. In fact it beat the stuffings out of the two I've shot with 45 ACP hardball.

But just this year I had my 4" 629 loaded with Federal 240 grain lead HPWC 44 Special factory loads for one reason or another, and a decent buck offered to commit suicide. I whacked it through the lungs at around 30 yards and wow. Did that mild load ever put the deer down in a hurry. The bullet expanded to around double caliber and lodged in the ribs on the far side.

Whether or not you're a fan of HPs, I'd sure give that round a trip through your new toy. It's mild enough for very easy DA, and I can't imagine better performance at standard velocities. As a matter of fact, six more from the same box now live in the 629 for carry purposes.

Wink Thirty pieces of brass......

Well before my new toy arrived I had ordered some Starline brass and a few bullets. While I wait very impatiently I took the side plate off this old Smith and removed the factory rebound slide spring and the main spring and replaced them with lighter Wolfe springs from Brownell's. With just a little internal cleaning to remove old oil and a little polish of a few key parts and the application of some super action lube in the right places, I put all back together. My 13# trigger pull went down to just under 8# for the DA pull and single action pull went to 2 1/4#. Not bad for a couple hours work. These things are very responsive to a little TLC.

I had some 200 grain Speer Gold Dots and a few 220 grain Sierra JHC's and I found about thirty pieces of brass laying around. I put this all in a pot with some CCI-300 primers and some Hodgdons Universal powder and let it simmer on a low burner. Soon I had 30 completed rounds with the 200 grain GD's at what I hoped to be about 900 fps. When Sunday rolled around I took this snubby 44 for a walk to the local indoor shooting range where the inside temperature was about 68 degrees F. Outside temp was a cool -38 F. Even with the cozy indoor temperature my hands trembled with excitement as I pulled the revolver from my shooting bag. I stuffed a nine inch paper plate under the clip of the target holder and cranked it down range to about 15 yards distant. I thumbed the cylinder latch and opened the cylinder. I drop in, one at a time, six of my home-made loads. I thumbed the hammer back and fired all six, single action, into a nice 2" group, in spite of my excited and trembling hands. Whew! That went well. A quick try with a cylinder of double action fire left another nice group just below the other, so much for my DA technique.

My main concern here was to insure that all would fire with my freshly slicked up lockwork. No problemo. I then put it away as to savor it and pulled out the 1911 to tune up with it. Then, after 100 rounds of 45, I pulled the shorty Smith back out for the rest of the handloads and a few rounds of factory 200 grain loads. All is well, my trigger job is good and it was a flawless in performance. I ended with the last cylinderful into a nice 1 1/2" group at 15 yards. I'll take that.

I did shoot with it's as issued smooth finger grooved "combat" grips. These proved adequate but they feel bulky and a little lumpy in my hands so last night I replaced them with a pair of Eagle Grips in the "secret agent" boot style grips of cocobolo. These grips are of a minimal amount of material to make the gun more concealable. They are thinner and fit my hand well. I'll try them later in the week when I get to the range again. Another reloading session is in order first. The grips are a bit shorter and require some adjustment to the shooting grip. There is enough space for most of the fingers, leaving only the pinky to wrap under the bottom of the frame. We'll see how that goes after the next shooting session. Until then, I await for the new components to arrive and Maybe look for a different powder to try.

I have a tough job but somebody has to do it!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?