Thread: Best area to live for all around hunting/fishing.

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Default Best area to live for all around hunting/fishing.

We are previously from the Palmer area. Where would you guys recommend for an area that has generous bag limits/antler requirements and is still adjacent to good coastal fishing and work (I am a 100 Ton Captain)?

We are trying to avoid the new crowds but still be able to work. My wife is an RN.

We would like to be able to hunt most of the species the state offers without having to get in an airplane or drive for 30 hours every time we go.

Is the Kenai getting completely out of control? Would the area north of Valdez be better?

We want to be in an area that it will take a little longer to get overpopulated. We don't mind driving all day once in awhile for the "big box" stores.

Thanks for the info.

Default Fish & Hunt

There is some fishing off Copper River. Gulkana, Klutina, etc. Still drop down to Prince Willaim Sound for deer hunting. Best moose hunting (I think) is around Fairbanks. Some fishing around Valdez for Silver, Pink salmon, and halibut. Reds & Kings dipnet Copper river, Chitina.
    Area north of Valdez is cold in winter. I like being centrally located in Palmer and there's a new hospital with several clinics in the area. Also
    some fair salmon fishing here and there. If you want to get away a little, Sutton might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    We are previously from the Palmer area. Where would you guys recommend for an area that has generous bag limits/antler requirements and is still adjacent to good coastal fishing and work (I am a 100 Ton Captain)?

We are trying to avoid the new crowds but still be able to work. My wife is an RN.

We would like to be able to hunt most of the species the state offers without having to get in an airplane or drive for 30 hours every time we go.

Is the Kenai getting completely out of control? Would the area north of Valdez be better?

We want to be in an area that it will take a little longer to get overpopulated. We don't mind driving all day once in awhile for the "big box" stores.

Thanks for the info.

King Salmon
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile Kotzebue!

Maniilaq IHS hospital is a great place to work, the pay is great, housing is included, 5 caribou a day, 1 moose a year, 1 sheep per year and super fishing! Your 100 ton could be used at Crowley Marine. Shoot me a PM is I can help. Sorry no big box stores but no stop lights!

Walt

Default North of Valdez

RN pay in Valdez is at least twice as high as Glennallen's Mission based hospital.

How about Yakatat? There is steelhead down there, and you can't drive 30hrs anywhere Might need a boat though.

Best area to live for all around hunting/fishing.
    Come-on folks! If you (anybody here) would have that answer, would you really tell?

My answer: maybe heaven? In my dreams? The fountain of youth? El Dorado? Utopia?

Summary: there is no such a place anywhere in the world, at least the world I have known for the past 50 years. If there was such a place, then every hunter, fishermam/fisherwoman form around the world would be moving into it. Don't you think so?