Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos Wanted for New Fishing Book

Default Photos Wanted for New Fishing Book

Greetings fellow anglers,

First, I would like to extend a deep appreciation to the many individuals on this website that submitted such fantastic photos of their fishing excursions on Alaskaís rivers and streams for use in my latest publication "The Alaska Roadside Anglerís Guide." The result was a book of such magnitude that could not have been possible without their help and the guide subsequently became a great hit with anglers from all over the country. Moreover, and perhaps just as importantly, I made some new friends along the way!

For the few of you that have yet to respond to my emails offering a free copy of the book as thanks for sending in those great images, please contact me at the address below.

Second, I have just completed a manuscript that will soon become a companion publication to "The Alaska Roadside Anglerís Guide." Again, I make a humble request for assistance in obtaining quality photos. This time I am seeking high-resolution digital images of people fishing, holding fish (all species), and scenery shots from various remote and semi-remote locations and areas (both saltwater and freshwater) throughout the Southcentral and Southeast portions of the state.

In return for use of these images, I will happily offer a couple of free copies in payment and credit the images appropriately in the book. Additionally, a drawing will be held for a free fly-in fishing trip or ocean charter (per choice) for one person as thanks for submitting his/her best fishing shots.

Please contact me at the email address below to submit pictures or if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing your awesome images.

Best wishes,

Gunnar Pedersen
    highwayangler@yahoo.com
    gunnar@roadsideangler.com

you have yahoo mail hope these might help you out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Pay scale is way low for pro images, but you'll probably get bites for snapshots. Good luck!

nothing like undercutting pros. Please don't send Gunnar any images for free. I bet you enjoy getting paid for your work on this book huh? I bet you'd hate it if a publisher offered you a free book for rights to your intellectual property.

Your photos are worth much more than a mere book, please please don't sell out people
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

By no means are my pictures professional. So if he wants to use them I dont care. I dont mind a free fishing book either but I would have sent them either way. It is just pics the wife and I share with everybody anyway. Nothing special at all and if it helps him out so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    nothing like undercutting pros. Please don't send Gunnar any images for free. I bet you enjoy getting paid for your work on this book huh? I bet you'd hate it if a publisher offered you a free book for rights to your intellectual property.

Your photos are worth much more than a mere book, please please don't sell out people
    Patrick, that is like suggesting that offering fishing and hunting advice for free (which you and I do on this website) is undercutting professional hunt planners. Folks like Larry Bartlett and Michael Strahan are paid to help people plan hunts, yet here you and I are undercutting them by offering advice for free!

Offering some snapshots is not in any way undercutting professional photographers. There is certainly a difference in quality, but sometimes readers of such a book would rather view snapshots of regular joes than professional photos. I know that I prefer the former over the latter. I also will probably send in a few pics. A free book and a chance to see myself or my wife in print? Pretty fun, if you ask me. But heck, maybe I'm just a cheap date.

Thumbs up

Already sent some and will send more, go Gunnar!

kingfisherktn

Default I'm not worthy?

Sent a few pics...I am just hoping to win the fishing trip. Wish it was a light saber.

TSS
    Last edited by JediMasterSalmonSlayer; 01-12-2008 at 15:10. Reason: brain fart
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Ditto Brian, If I am "undercutting" the pros, then maybe they are in the wrong business.... A few snapshots going to a local author to put in a local book is a great idea. Maybe my kiddos will make the book as well.

AKPM is just tossing out another rant, whats new.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks Brian

I agree totally with your thoughts on this and Gunner emailed me back all ready and it looks like My wife and I might get lucky enough to get 1 or 2 pictures in his book from what he says. I did not realize untill i went back and read the thread again I might even get a free book out of it. Like you said to see my wife or I in print sounds pretty cool. Also my pics are just good ole average joe on the river pics and stuff.

Sorry not Brian but thanks AKmud
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 01-12-2008 at 15:06. Reason: thanking the wrong person blonde moment

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Patrick, that is like suggesting that offering fishing and hunting advice for free (which you and I do on this website) is undercutting professional hunt planners. Folks like Larry Bartlett and Michael Strahan are paid to help people plan hunts, yet here you and I are undercutting them by offering advice for free!

Offering some snapshots is not in any way undercutting professional photographers. There is certainly a difference in quality, but sometimes readers of such a book would rather view snapshots of regular joes than professional photos. I know that I prefer the former over the latter. I also will probably send in a few pics. A free book and a chance to see myself or my wife in print? Pretty fun, if you ask me. But heck, maybe I'm just a cheap date.
    Michael Strahan and Larry Bartlett probably make a lot of money by offering free advice here. By offering free advice they are marketing themselves. Am I going to sell more photos by having a credit in a book somewhere? No. See its completely different (hey I share photos for free online in hopes that I will market myself effectively).

Like I said Gunnar would you be willing to give your manuscript away for a book from the publisher?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default No but

=ak_powder_monkey; Am I going to sell more photos by having a credit in a book somewhere? No. See its completely different (hey I share photos for free online in hopes that I will market myself effectively).

Like I said Gunnar would you be willing to give your manuscript away for a book from the publisher?
    No, but you are probably going to sell more giving free advice in the Photography forum, showing your pictures that are for sale on the forums and listing your business web site in your avatar. "If you don't like free enterprise move to Cuba." Humm... who said that?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Am I going to sell more photos by having a credit in a book somewhere? No. See its completely different (hey I share photos for free online in hopes that I will market myself effectively).

Mike and Larry make money because their planning services are far better than the average advice found (and, of course, because many people just don't have the time or knowledge to successfully put together all of the necessary details of a hunt.) Likewise, professional photographers make money because they are that much better and because they sell to those who need such quality pictures. If someone is asking for free pictures instead of paying you for professional pictures, well.....perhaps you haven't stated your case strongly enough as to why your pictures are better. Railing against "undercutting" isn't going to do it. Showing your value might.

Incidentally, giving a manuscipt away is in no way similar to giving a few pictures away. Years of work go into a single manuscipt. I don't think the same could be said for a single photo.

Also...has it not occured to you that a book along the lines of a "roadside guide" for do-it-yourself common anglers might be better with regular Joes and their own pictures? Personally, that's the kind of book I'm interested in reading.

--------------

Gunnar - I'll have some on the way soon, once I sort through my pics and find the best ones.

Default I'll send a few of the best I can find

I don't know how many pro's do snapshots of guys with fish. That's just a guy with a camera, but in my opinion it's the best pictures to look at in this kind of book. My favorite anyway, I'll donate a few as I usually have a hundred or so each year of kids, friends, family me, wife, ect. with fish. It would be cool to see one of your own family pictures in the Roadside Angler's Guide.
    BTW, I have to fix the pipe under the sink tonight. Is that alright, or am I going to undercut the pro's? (Oh the poor plumbers)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

nothing like undercutting pros. Please don't send Gunnar any images for free.
    I am relatively new to these forums and am quickly learning why many have a rub with AKPM....my motto is 'Just let the stupid be stupid'....that is not directed toward anyone, just something I say to keep a smile on my face........

Gunnar, I have thousands of quality photo's that I'm willing to share. If you need a certain type of picture I'm sure I've got a few for you. I have plenty of large trout/salmon/grayling/pike pictures caught from the 'Roadside' and beyond. You're welcome to all of them. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll dig 'em up for you....
    Take care

I will send a few pics from this last Salmon Season.

Default I wish I had a dollar...

For every great fishing trip we've had using Gunnar's book. Best $20 or so we have ever spent.

I'll pop a photo or two to ya, GP.......

I haven't sent any but if you need some "hero" shots from the Kenai River I have a bunch. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    No, but you are probably going to sell more giving free advice in the Photography forum, showing your pictures that are for sale on the forums and listing your business web site in your avatar. "If you don't like free enterprise move to Cuba." Humm... who said that?
    Classic Dave, I even made my first trip to the Photography Forum. It is so much better to use this site to put up you signed pictures with your website address in your Avatar. Just use the site for a bunch of free advertising. I am a member of many other sites that only let PAID advertisers put their websites in their signatures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast