Thread: Wolf Hunting

Default Wolf Hunting

Would anyone be able/willing to point me in the right direction for hunting wolves within about 2 hours or so of Fairbanks? Thanks in Advance!

Wolves are all around, seeing them is the problem. There is large numbers across the Tanana river from Fairbanks. I see wolf tracks on the Chena river, up stream of the dam. On the Salcha river I've seen wolves. I see wolves in the White mountains. Any of the trails in the White mountains will lead to wolf territories, just be able to tell the difference between the tracks of a pack of wolves and a team of sled dogs. If down on the Richardson and you see the Caribou herds, look in the back and you will find several packs of wolves bring up the rear
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Sounds good! Thanks for the help, I have been up to the White Mountains a bunch of times scouting for Moose by ATV but never in the winter. On the Rich are you talking about down by Healy, I have seen a ton of Caribou down there going back and forth between North Pole and Anchorage. I will have to read up on the regs for that area. I have not hunted down that way before.

Healy is on the Parks Highway. The Richardson is the one that goes through North Pole then to Delta, turns right and then to Valdez. You often see Caribou between Ft Greeley and Summit lake.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

find a dead moose!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

OOps, must have had a moment.. I guess that's what I get for writing my thread at 2AM.. I had a close call on my way down to Valdez last December, came up on a herd cresting that hill just after Donley Dome. Do you think it would be better to head off into the hills on East or West side of the road heading south?? (Not having looked at the regs yet for off limits areas)

Arctic,
    I would stick with the Delta area, the numbers of wolves out there are great. Just a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were out bunny hunting and heard 1 wolf pack and two coyotes all at the same time that were close in the area. We switched quickly from bunny hunting to calling for the wolves. We had a few replies but nothin came in. My buddy spotted about a 8 pack running along the river but they couldnt cross to commit because it was still flowing pretty good. They make a big loop in delta and if you can catch them in the area Im sure youll have some success. If youre around the north pole area and need a partner drop me a pm Ill be more than happy to go. Once the rivers freeze youll have even a better chance on a snowmachine.

Will do! I should be back in the area in about 3 weeks. I will have to try the Delta area, right now I just have 4 wheeler but am looking into a sled. From what I am hearing there is not that much snow on the ground so maybe the wheeler will work for now. If not it just gives me an excuse to get the sled... Do you think a .270 with a low grain round will be to big??

Not for a wolf, .270 will work.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Default Gun for wolf hunting....

Do you guys think that a .222 is to small for wolfs? I have a 7MM Mag that I could take out.

Yes, .270 is fine. I go after them with my AR. To me caliber is not that big a deal, shot placement means more to me, everyone wants to have the biggest and baddest guns out there. You can do just as much with excellent shot placement as you can with big bores, they all do the same thing some just quicker than others. I havent been to Delta since the bunny slaying episode but there was hardly any snow then but havent been out there lately. Delta is always wind blown with little snow in areas but dont get me wrong Im sure there is a couple feet by the dome.

I was just asking about .270 becuase thats the smallest I have, my other option was a .300 mag. If figured if I used that there might not be a whole lot left.. I will let you know if I get a chance to get down to Delta before the "Big Snow" (Wishful Thinking!!)

I got one wolf while caribou hunting up north off the Haul Rd with my 7mm mag. It put him down but the Barnes Triple Shock didn't do too much damage. I've been out a couple times so far this year attempting to call in wolves or anything else and had no luck yet. I'm thinking of going out possibly this weekend or next to finally try out my FoxPro Scorpion and see if it lives up to all the hype. I did quite a bit of coyote calling back in MT with a decent success rate on getting stuff to come in, but I'm beginning to get discouraged with the calling in the Fairbanks area. Not trying to hijack the thread here, but definitely open to suggestions.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Get out of town. Anyone on the forum will tell you that. Pack your truck up and get out of town. Further away from town the better