Thread: rmk running rich...

Default rmk running rich...

it seems my sled has some throttle issues... '01 RMK 700...

it feels like its running a little rich... slight hesitation and sputtering at lower rpms... but once I pin the throttle down that baby wants to go! I also seem to burn more gas than my buddies I'm riding with.

I'm new to this whole sled-thing so I'm not too familiar with all the mechanics yet but I'm not afraid to get dirty either.

any advice would be appreciated...

Its always a scary thing to tell somebody to lean out there machine. but i would think about dropping the needle a click and get a main jet chart and check to see if you are in the ball park with the mains. I ride a 03 800 and i re jet the mains quite often and i was having a similar issue last weekend with my sled so i was debaiting dropping the needles but i just road it instead.

I agree, dropping the needle position cleaned my 700 up considerably. Just be careful and check the plug condition a few times after you make any adjustments. Another thing to check is your oil injection setting. There is an alignment mark on the oil pump swingarm and on the housing that should line up when throttle is in the idle position. It's easy to adjust and you can even lean out the oil SLIGHTLY by positioning the mark on the swingarm to the inside of the mark on the housing. This cleaned up some low end bobble for me. I also put a boost bottle on my sled but I had done some other mods so I can't say if it really made much difference.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Drop the needle position?

Can one of you please explain what you mean by "dropping the needle position?" I have changed jets before but not up on needle position. I have have two '06 550 fan Summits and on the same 50 mile trip on uses 5 gallons and the other uses 6.5 gallons. Maybe the one that sucks more gas is burning too rich and I should drop the needle position?!?

The needle goes down into the main jet and controls how much fuel it gets low to mid rpm. the needle has a c clip that can go into 5 different spots. By lowering the needle (raising the clip) it will go farther into the main get and reduce the amount of fuel it gets. To get to the needle is a little different on different carbs but basically you have to take the slide out of the top by femoving a few screws and then you will see the needle. Somebody with the exact machine will be able to tell you better than I.

You want to be careful though.... When I bought my machine ('98 700RMK with 500 miles), the guy had messed with the jetting and needle position which resulted in a burn down while running across Big lake coming down from about 80mph. It was due to a lean condition brought on by the needle being too low. The previous owner had dropped the needle (clip in the top slot) and compensated by using fat jets. The machine ran like no ones business, but was in no way set up to last.

The engine gets a lot of cooling from the incoming fuel. With the needle in the lowest position, the fuel is almost completely cut off when it drops back to idle. So....heating the engine up by running at 80 like I was and then suddenly letting off the throttle allowed it to overheat the cylinders and burn one down (seized). Had I feathered the throttle a little more carefully (a good practice anyway) I might have avoided the seize. I have moved everything back to pretty much stock positions and it still runs great and I'm not in near as much danger of another seize.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hey guys thanks for the advise!!

Jet it for the coldest temps you'll see at sea level. Install a Holtzmann Temp-a-Flow. You'll never touch it again. While your buddies fumble with their airboxes and jets you can relax and wonder why they don't do the same.

I would rather take the 5 min every few times i ride and Know for sure where my sled is jetted at. I personally just dont trust a mechanical thing to controll my jetting. Maybe if i had EGT gauges so i could make sure but just my preference is to re jet when i need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Jet it for the coldest temps you'll see at sea level. Install a Holtzmann Temp-a-Flow. You'll never touch it again. While your buddies fumble with their airboxes and jets you can relax and wonder why they don't do the same.
    How mechanically inclined do you have to be to install one of these? I've heard good things about them and am going to get one for my 02 RMK 700. Just wondering if I should install myself or pay someone to do it?
    Thanks,

KK

KK,

There's nothing hard about the install but it is easier if you have an installed unit to look at. You can download all the install instructions from this link.

http://www.holtzmaneng.com/

The hardest part of the process is selecting where to drill the airbox. I'm pretty sure mine have been facing forward high in the upper corner toward the steering shaft, but I'm not near my sled at the moment. I can check later and let you know exactly if you want.

I've had tempa flows on three different Polaris sleds. They work. I've never needed to adjust the altitude screw, by the way.

Default jetting

I know jetting carbs is elevation dependent, but how much does temperature play into the equation?

Default Tempa Flow

Does this holzman thing work if my 03 800 pro x has slp pipe and can, reeds and bigger air box.

It'll work as well as long as the installation allows it to. I remember there were special instructions for gutted airboxes. If you gutted yours, pay attention to that. My '04 Pro X has the stock airbox and the Tempa-Flow works flawlessly.