Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UHMW GROUP BUY, 1/4"x4'x10'

Default UHMW GROUP BUY, 1/4"x4'x10'

I am working with a company that buys large quantities of UHMW in an attempt to help out him and all of us. I should know something by early next week. The price of UHMW is going up 10% in February.
    I hate to start talking prices yet but we should see, one way or the other, a substantial savings on material. If any of you are pricing material for comparisons, keep in mind that the "UV" label adds 15% to 20% to the price. Color adds more. If the material does not say UV resistant, such as TIVAR 1000 UV, then it is not the same thing. All UHMW has some inhibitor, but that is different than the UV label.
    As we get closer, please remember, I am doing this so I too get a cheaper sled. I expect anybody involved to pay quickly and be ready for things to happen on short notice. I will not be your bank.
    There will be some math involved, which means I need to order a specific quantity. The sheets are cut out of blocks, and each block has a maximum number of sheets available. Therefore, people who get on the list and pay first are the ones that are assured material. If I get down the llist and have an odd number, then those people will not receive any UHMW. I may also be limited by the company transporting the material.
    For now, respond to this thread and/or PM me with your contact information if you are interested.

Default UHMW purchase

You can also buy UHMW directly from the manufacturer: http://www.garlandmfg.com

They're in Maine, so you'll have to get pieces less that 108" for UPS to ship them.

Are you thinking this will be limited to a Fairbanks delivery?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey JOAT,

I've been talking to RR a little about distribution. Bird Hunter mentioned the possibility of delivery to ANC with his trailer. I've offered to meet up with him at the Talkeetna Spur Road to save him the trip into ANC, then I'd get it to ANC on my next trip in.

As this materializes, maybe we can all work out who is where and distribute like I mentioned above?

I think we can put a network of sorts together for delivery on the road system and make it where no one is going to far out of their way.

I've also suggested Arctic Man as a possibility of a distribution point depending on when this comes together.

Ken

Default Anch

Im still up for taking down south. Since Upstream will take it over at the Talkeetna Spur, maybe someone in Anch can be the distribution point. Arctic Man is a good meeting spot too, but its a long way away from the Glacier Brew House.... the real reason Im willing to run to Anchorage for a night.

Default Lots of interest

I had a bunch of mail to answer. I'll give you more here:

1- Price is very loose at this time. 250+/- is trying to cover all bases FOB FAI. I am hoping less, but just trying to give you something to think about.

2- If any of you can price ANC, the Valley, or others, here is what I am getting quotes on; Tivar 1000 UV/color UHMW, 1/4"x4'x10'.
    (all UHMW has some inhibitor. It must say UV to be considered "RESISTANT".

3- Anybody that has freight contacts look at ways to keep Byrd Hnter off of the highway. Traveling back and forth will add a lot of cost to the equation. Great if he wants to come or has business here, but let's not add road hazards if not needed.

4- Somebody asked be about bending. I am hesitant unless you are here to lay out the sled with me, and work with me to get to and from the machine shop. As a group in FAi, it may work. For you guys down south, you may try to get together too. Also, freight is easier if the sheet are flat vs. bent.

5- Custom color is probably way out of reach. Expect Blue, Green, Red for now, but I am still working on it. One of my goals is that our sleds do not conflict with or be confused with Northern Sled Works. Dave seems like a good guy trying to make a living. He has had people in the past call for warranty on sleds he did not build.

Ok, we are heading to a soccer tournament. Got to root on my girl. We well be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Im still up for taking down south. Since Upstream will take it over at the Talkeetna Spur, maybe someone in Anch can be the distribution point. Arctic Man is a good meeting spot too, but its a long way away from the Glacier Brew House.... the real reason Im willing to run to Anchorage for a night.
    I could meet you at the GBH then instead of the spur.

Default Not Fair Boys!

You are all going to meet for an ice cold brew and leave me out? OUCH! Man does that BITE!
    I am still waiting for a couple of pieces of info to be able to cement this buy. I thought there would be a bit more interest, but not a problem. I will do the best to get everybody in that wants in.
    I did not think about it, but I can get 4'x10' thicker if somebody has a boat bottom they want to cover. I just can not get it bigger width or length. That could skew the math a bit, but I am willing to take a look at it.
    And just in case you were wondering, my girls team won that 3v3 soccer tournament.

Default ha ha

RR
    Well your welcome to come along... otherwise I can bring you a growler back. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings

A post in the swap and sell might get some more interest too, like the cutco knives of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I thought there would be a bit more interest...
    If the transport to Anchorage link is worked out, you can certainly put me on the list for 1 sheet. I can pick it up in Anchorage. With your postings on these sleds, I'm certainly curious about building one, and I've got several other uses for some good UHMW as well.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Need some help from the MODS

I did not post in the Swap and Sell in part because I am not doing either. If the MODS think it is ok, then I would post there too.

Default getting closer

I talked with the supplier today. We are getting closer. He tried raising the price but then agreed not to. That would have added about $15/sheet.
    I have enjoyed answering the questions. I hope this works out for everybody. As it stands right now, I have just about the right amount of people for the math to work. I ask that you keep a couple of things in mind.
    1- I have tried to keep my buyers list in order of contacts made. Somebody at the end might not get a sheet this time around due to math, but I will try like heck for that not to happen.
    2- If you want 2 sheets, and somebody else wants one, but the math won't work, what do you want me to do? I would like as many folks as possible to benefit, but not at risk somebody will be mad at me. I don't get paid enough.
    3- I have been asked about other sizes. Again, my life is easier if I stick with the size mentioned, 4'x10'. I think for now I have to say no to other sizes.
    4- I will PM those of you on the list with a price early next week so I don't have to be the bank for over a month.

And it looks like I get to choose the color. HOT PINK sounds good! Ok, maybe not, but I'll figure something out.

Default Final information on group buy

I got the final information on UV UHMW. I need to finalize transportation to Fairbanks. I will be contacting those people who have expressed an interest individually. As I said before, the list has been made in order of contacts and that will make the final decision of who does get material if we have too many orders. If you have not contacted me yet, please do so right away.

The UV resistant colored UHMW has to be purchased in specific groups or quantities. I will work that math out. They are only available in 4'x10' sheets.
    If somebody wants UV Black, those sheets can be purchased individually in whatever thickness you need in either 4'x8' or 4'x10' sheets. I do not have to contend with minimums on UV Black.
    When I place the order, I will have up to 3 weeks to pay the bill. I will need payment prior to that time. If you participate, please do not make me be your bank. You are not paying me enough to do so.
    Once I confirm the transportation, I will give you a price as close as I can to the final FOB Fairbanks price. Remember, I am working with other "powers" in this deal, so can only do the best that I can. Regardless of the final outcomes, I have to pay my share too.
    Based on that I am working on free transportation from WA, I am going to limit this order to about 24 sheets. I will not expect my contacts to expend more energy than that as a favor.
    Hope it all makes sense.

Default Is there room for more?

Can I still get in on this Group UHMV buy? or if someone backs out.
    cderrickak@netscape.net

Default Want sled material

Sent PM this morning.

Default Interested

If the price is right I am interested.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default The order is in

I placed the order yesterday for over $5,000 worth of UHMW. So far I am safe as my wife has not quite figured it out. But if she does, I may be moving in with some of you.
    I have contacted pretty much everybody that had indicated a desire to buy UHMW. A couple of you I still need e-mail addresses from and phone numbers.
    I have 2 people in Valdez, one in Glenallen, 2 in ANC/valley, and one in Soldotna. The person in Glenallen may be the key to moving the UHMW at least that far.
    I am hoping that the material hits SEA in 3 weeks, then hope it makes it up here a few more weeks after that. Not much I can do at this point to change that.
    We did manage to catch the prices before they went up 15%, so am really happy about that.

Default Good Deal

5 Grand... you da man RR.

Default live dangerous

some guys like to play tag with bears. Me on the other hand, I can live dangerously at home by spending money my wife knows nothing about and then getting the bill for. Hoooooeeeee. You guys will hear her in Valdez!
    No problem though. I gonna give her all your names and numbers. You are now accessories.

That will insure funds are collected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast