Thread: Northface gear good enough for fairbanks weather?

Default Northface gear good enough for fairbanks weather?

I'm an ice carver and I also snomachine and collect firewood. Warmth and durability are important to me because I can be either Ice carving at a windy -30 below or snowmaching through woods hitting branches and all sorts of jacket wreckers. I'm looking at the trilithium and tritronix 3-in-1s as well as the freedom insulated pants. I really like the orange for the tritronix (REI pic; NF pic is brown) and the outer shell seems great on the NFs. Shopping on the web I can't tell warmth when most reviews say "great warmth down to my low 20s". An Alaskan opinion on whether they will hold up to my conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Lightbulb

The N.F. of today, is not the same as it was before they were bought out.
    The N.f. lifetime warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. m.h.o..

I would buy Mtn. Hardware or Marmot instead.

Check out the local shop Apocalypse Design if you haven't already. http://www.akgear.com/ They make some really good stuff, a little spendy but top quality. Lots of mushers use their stuff.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    The N.F. of today, is not the same as it was before they were bought out.
    The N.f. lifetime warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. m.h.o..

I would buy Mtn. Hardware or Marmot instead.
    I like my marmot thunder ridge jacket but it ain't warm enough for FBX weather. It also likes to hold moisture against your skin without a wicking underlayer. It it is very water resistent with the precip material shell. I would look at a good windproof shell with one of the new high density fleece liners. Mountain HW is a great brand. A precip shell with a better liner would be a good option as well. Not happy with NF though my wife does like her NF slip on primaloft boots for shoping and regular kicking around.

For the carving & snowmachining i'd go with anything but NF, good for the high school & college crowds but no good for hard core use. For the firewood i'd go with Carhartt or Filson Tins.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

North Face gear has been to the mountain summits with climbers more than any other gear out there. If you're tougher than those guys, you wouldn't need to ask about gear.

I prefer Klim for riding because of how it's tailored, but I wore North Face for most of the 20 years prior to Klim entering the market. I prefer Carhartt for wood cutting because my gore-tex gear is too expensive to tear up. I own North Face gear and have for years, and I wear it a lot for all my other outdoor activities like skiing and snowshoeing. I like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate to buy North Face again.

If I can get a deal on mountain hardwear or marmot they will be an option. I'm not going to buy carhart because of how wet I can get out working. NF seems best right now because of quality and price columbia shells just feel weak; burton, marmot, MH and NF feel like what I need but the only thing I'm unsure of is base warmth (I do layer but simplicity is good).

P.S. I am a college and HS student and I'm not out there eight days a week, but when I am it is a lot more than casual weather. Something that lasts and works for a semi-reasonable price is what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    For the carving & snowmachining i'd go with anything but NF, good for the high school & college crowds but no good for hard core use. For the firewood i'd go with Carhartt or Filson Tins.
    I've used walmart gear for two years of ice carving and have been out all day in the coldest. The only problem with my last gear was it got torn to hell just from normal use.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    North Face gear has been to the mountain summits with climbers more than any other gear out there. If you're tougher than those guys, you wouldn't need to ask about gear.

I prefer Klim for riding because of how it's tailored, but I wore North Face for most of the 20 years prior to Klim entering the market. I own North Face gear and have for years, and I wear it a lot for all my other outdoor activities like skiing and snowshoeing. I like it a lot and wouldn't hesitate to buy North Face again.

What is the source of your "fact" that T.N.F. has summited more than any other? They have also been in business more than most other co.

Fact is right now many more climbers are using Mountain Hardware than T.N.F.

There is a big difference between the product made before they were acquired and after. Most of the TNF reputation is from the pre buyout days.

I just bought another TNF Denali to replace my 10 year old one. The new one does not even come with pit zips anymore and the price is unchanged, amont other differences.

TNF has had it's day, I would take Mtn. Hardware, Marmot, Integral designs, Patagonia or ARc Teryx over TNF "urban Mountaineering gear" without even a thought.

CZ is right! TNF has gone the way of Mongoose Bicycles. Low quality versions of their old high tech gear. It looks like some of their tents are still decent and perhaps their sleeping bags but their clothing has gone downhill, just more trash for the masses. my .02

I've worn the original Carhartt and now the Carhartt Arctic bibs and coat over fleece, etc. for many Fairbanks winters now and they have always worked without being too hard on the wallet. It may not be the fancy stuff that's been to the top of a mountain, but it works for the working guy.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)