Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 149

Thread: MATSU AC meeting

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I am Valley trash.
    Posts
    589

    Default MATSU AC meeting

    I am part of the MATSU AC and this was my first opportunity to listen about the commercial fishing issues we have in Alaska. I have read many articals and have talked with many people but it is nothing like being at one of these meetings.

    To me it sounds like Sport Fishing has been signing the same tune to deaf ears for years and will continue to do so until we put pressure on our governor to hire someone other then commercial fisherman into positions of power in the Department of Commercial Fish and Human Management (ADCF&HM). They keep saying we don’t have enough data to determine if commercial fishing is hurting sport fishing. It is the pike that is causing your problems, it the weirs not counting right, it is high water, it is low water etc… I doubt they want such data. Many people pointed out when commercial nets are in the water, we get no fish, when commercial fishing is stopped we get fish. I do not have the background, nor do I think one is needed to determine that sport fishing is getting screwed!!!!

    In both the Anchorage Daily News and the Frontiersman Friday papers have articles about this meeting. It was a heated meeting, but I think all concerns were going on deaf ears. Jeff Fox mentioned he has been working on these issues for 17 years and he tries something new every year and this is a complicated issue and more studies are needed before he can determine why fish are not making to the MATSU valley.

    Bottom line is until the Sports fishing groups get more $$$ and better organized we will continue to get chit on. If you can please take the time and try to attend one of these meeting and you will end up being as pissed off as I am.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Don't you know it is the beaver dams and the pike???? Just ask some members of this board........Commercial fishermen don't have an impact on the Northern fisheries and F&G as done everything it can do to let fish pass to the valley, but if it wasn't for the pike and the beavers........LOL

    Keep up the good fight, sportfishermen do need more of an organized voice, just like the Comfish do, lobbiest and all.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Default It's a plot. . .

    It's a plot I tell you!

    Don't be upset by being "chit" on, don't get "pissed" about being "screwed," just realize it's a plot by guides to get more fish. . .

    Just kidding. . .

    Calm down. . . there's much more to life than fish and fishing . .

    Seems to me that you guides have more to worry about. . . if gas prices continue to rise, which they will, and if the recession deepens, which it will, there won't be enough tourists up here to worry about. I know one analyst who predicts $150/barrel oil by June.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post




    Seems to me that you guides have more to worry about. . . if gas prices continue to rise, which they will, and if the recession deepens, which it will, there won't be enough tourists up here to worry about.


    That should make the residents of Soldotna happy! Fewer guides and guides going out business, should be a great recession for Soldotna local fishermen. See, there is some good in a recession and high oil prices.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tv321
    I do not have the background, nor do I think one is needed to determine that sport fishing is getting screwed!!!!"
    You don't have any backround in the subject. OK.

    What makes you feel you know how to count fish better than the degreed managers of the resource?


  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Default The plot sickens. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    1. You don't have any backround in the subject. OK.
    2. What makes you feel you know how to count fish better than the degreed managers of the resource?
    Well, it dad-gum sure ain't a college degree in fisheries biology, is it? . .

    It's—$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

    Same ol', same ol' . . . more, more, more. . .

    To heck with all them that like to buy salmon at the supermarket. . . hey, they ain't consumers. . . only "we" are . . .

    ***************************************

    yukon: Relax. . . if economic times tighten, there'll be more folks than guides tightening their belts.



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Heck with them all. Those Alaskans that like to catch and process their own fish can just buy like those in the lower 48. We should do away with sportfishing because it is just "sport".

    And a lot of sport fishermen and women just like to "play" with the fish they catch by letting them go, shame on them. Fish are for food and commercial fishermen do us all favors by catching them for us, they take such good care of them as well, each is carefully bled and put on ice, none of the meat is bruised or has blood in it. Can you imagine how bad our rivers and fish population would be if the commercial fishermen let rivers be overescaped with fish. We should all thank the commercial fishermen for the service they do for our ecosystem and communities. According to some we should thank the commercial fishermen if we are dipnetters, without them people wouldn't be able to dipnet, at least one member of the board thought that earlier.

    I am getting on the band wagon, commercial fishermen are the saving Grace of our fisheries and those that do fish with rod an real should keep every fish caught and stop when you have enough for the plate or you reach your dailey limit for that species. If you enjoy catching fish and enjoy releasing them you are doing more harm than good. Catch your fish for the day, keep it and go home.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Default More, more, more, more ad nauseum. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Heck with them all. Those Alaskans that like to catch and process their own fish can just buy like those in the lower 48. We should do away with sportfishing because it is just "sport".

    And a lot of sport fishermen and women just like to "play" with the fish they catch by letting them go, shame on them. Fish are for food and commercial fishermen do us all favors by catching them for us, they take such good care of them as well, each is carefully bled and put on ice, none of the meat is bruised or has blood in it. Can you imagine how bad our rivers and fish population would be if the commercial fishermen let rivers be overescaped with fish. We should all thank the commercial fishermen for the service they do for our ecosystem and communities. According to some we should thank the commercial fishermen if we are dipnetters, without them people wouldn't be able to dipnet, at least one member of the board thought that earlier.

    I am getting on the band wagon, commercial fishermen are the saving Grace of our fisheries and those that do fish with rod an real should keep every fish caught and stop when you have enough for the plate or you reach your dailey limit for that species. If you enjoy catching fish and enjoy releasing them you are doing more harm than good. Catch your fish for the day, keep it and go home.
    Well, there it is again . . . getting all freaked out, throwing the baby out with the bath water. Who the ---- said anything about getting rid of sportfishing? Other than you, that is? . . .

    The fisheries are already fully allocated to sport, commercial, personal use, and subsistence. All we're hearing now is the same ol', same ol' whining and squalling for more, more, more for sport and commercial sport—at the expense of all other user groups. . .

    The plot sickens and sickens and sickens. . .


  9. #9

    Default Crimony, Yukon

    You are starting to sound like Nerka.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs up See. . . there is hope. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    Crimony, yukon, You are starting to sound like Nerka.
    What can we say, Bfish? . . . while stupidity is incurable, ignorance can be overcome. . .


  11. #11

    Default Now that's funny right there...

    ...I don't care who you are.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Riverfront Alaska
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Can you imagine how bad our rivers and fish population would be if the commercial fishermen let rivers be overescaped with fish. We should all thank the commercial fishermen for the service they do for our ecosystem and communities.
    I heard a similiar excuse in Maine for years. If we would catch mostly small fish the biologists didn't say it was because of overfishing. Their excuse was there were too many fish. Funny how it was back in the good old days when there were fewer fishermen, fewer commerical boats and more and bigger fish.

    I guess the rivers in Alaska were just overrun with fish and in terrible shape before the commerical fishermen were here to save us???
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Cool The nationwide plot. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguide View Post
    . . .before the commerical fishermen were here to save us???
    Given your user name, it's safe to conclude you're a guide?

    How is your "commercial" fishing as a guide facilitating private anglers getting fish different from the "commercial" fishing done to facilitate non-anglers getting fish? . . .

    Both types of "commercial" fishermen—guides and other—are "doing it for money" while third parties—sport anglers and shoppers—benefit.

    "Commercial" is "commercial" is "commercial" isn't it? . . .

    What makes "guide commercial" special?


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Well, there it is again . . . getting all freaked out, throwing the baby out with the bath water. Who the ---- said anything about getting rid of sportfishing? Other than you, that is? . . .

    The fisheries are already fully allocated to sport, commercial, personal use, and subsistence. All we're hearing now is the same ol', same ol' whining and squalling for more, more, more for sport and commercial sport—at the expense of all other user groups. . .

    The plot sickens and sickens and sickens. . .

    No Marcus, it is more fish so sportfishing doesn't have to get shut down in order for there to be enough fish to spawn, it's biological. While commercial fishermen get first shot out in the ocean it has become the burden of the sportfishermen for conservation.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    You are starting to sound like Nerka.
    I guess I made my point then. Not only Nerka, others as well. Thanks.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    What can we say, Bfish? . . . while stupidity is incurable, ignorance can be overcome. . .


    If I sound like Nerka (and others), Marcus what are you trying to say.....

    Please clarify

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Given your user name, it's safe to conclude you're a guide?

    How is your "commercial" fishing as a guide facilitating private anglers getting fish different from the "commercial" fishing done to facilitate non-anglers getting fish? . . .

    Both types of "commercial" fishermen—guides and other—are "doing it for money" while third parties—sport anglers and shoppers—benefit.

    "Commercial" is "commercial" is "commercial" isn't it? . . .

    What makes "guide commercial" special?

    Marcus, if this is your train of thought, and commercial fishermen can sell their permits in the limited entry system, they why wouldn't you support a commercial fishing guide the same?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    TV321,
    You won't win, to some on this board if you are a sportfisherman and want more fish you are very greedy and anti-commercial fishermen. No matter what you do.

    We sportfishermen are not that bright, the commercial fishermen sit back and laugh at us on this board, we put it all out there while they are smart enough to lobby for their interests in Juneau, get the right people in the right positions and put in proposals for more fishing time and more fish. Along with the virtual elimination of dipnetting. And you don't hear one word about them being greedy for more of the 100% allocated fish.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Riverfront Alaska
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Given your user name, it's safe to conclude you're a guide?

    How is your "commercial" fishing as a guide facilitating private anglers getting fish different from the "commercial" fishing done to facilitate non-anglers getting fish? . . .

    Both types of "commercial" fishermen—guides and other—are "doing it for money" while third parties—sport anglers and shoppers—benefit.

    "Commercial" is "commercial" is "commercial" isn't it? . . .

    What makes "guide commercial" special?

    You are correct I am a guide. But commercial isn't commercial as you say. Oh yes we both do it for profeit but while commercial fishermen harvest thousands and thousands of fish we harvest quite few in comparison. How are we different? Are you kidding? If you want to get into an apples to oranges comparison lets look at the amount of money the five king salmon that one of my guests may get as compared to five king salmon netted out at sea. Those five fish my fisherman will net a couple thousand that will go right back into the economy. What are those same five salmon going to net at the fish market? Certainly not a couple thousand dollars, if they did no one would be able to afford them, at least not to feed their family for dinner.
    Also, my hundred or so salmon caught each year are not going to hurt the runs like 150,000+ salmon taken out in Cook inlet. I am not taking away from the other recreational fishermen out there. By law I am not even allowed to fish with my guests so techically I am not even fishing(catching or killing), the recreational fisherman that hired me and paid for a regular fishing license is.
    Plus you never answered my question, how did the salmon and our rivers survive before all the commercial fishermen cleaned up the rivers and streams for us?
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

  20. #20
    Member SuYentna Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Big Lake, Alaska
    Posts
    92

    Default Northern District sport fisherman get screwed by the Fish managers

    Here are some facts from someone that has a cabin and has fished the Susitna / Yentna River for over twenty years.

    Fact
    1. There are less than 10% of the reds and silvers that use to be in the rivers
    2. When Commercial fishing closes we get fish into the river
    3. There has not been a escapement level that would justify any fish taken for commercial purpose from the Susitna / Yentna system in many years
    4. If the ADF&G don’t do anything it will get worse


    Commercial Fishing hurts the Susitna /Yentna escapement no matter how you count it. I have sure fire way of knowing if they are intercepting any of the northern district fish, Cork the mouths of the rivers that you have the sustainable escapement and let our fish go on by.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •