Thread: Cleaning shoulder mounts?

Default Cleaning shoulder mounts?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for the best way to clean shoulder mounts and help preserve them. One of my caribou is in velvet and I don't want to damage it. I've read somewhere else of using a vacuum, but I'm a little leary about that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wipe mine down with a warm damp cloth and use Windex on the eyes using a q-tip. Thats what I was told to do by the guy that mounted my sheep.

Default Cleaning mounts

Most places will tell you to dust them with a moist cloth. My taxidermist takes his down every year an uses his air compressor and blows them off as well.

Default Air Compressor...

You can wipe them off periodically throughout the year, but you should take them down and blow them off with an air compressor. Wiping them off tends to push the dust down into the hide...you'd be amazed at how much dust will come out of the hide if you hit it with an air compressor. You can use just about any brush to brush the hair back into place, but a hide brush from any taxidermy supply company works the best.. (or pet grooming brush).

Don't worry about the velvet, just don't put the air nozzle right up on it.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to see If I can borrow my neighbors air compressor. My friend also mentioned a small steam cleaner especially for the velvet.