Thread: Mystery Bullets

Question Mystery Bullets

I just "inherited" 800 jacketed bullets from a friend, who in fact did inherit them. They're customs in eight plain white boxes- good looking FN, 265 grains, with canelures high enough I suspect they were intended for either a revolver or lever rifle. Problem is, they're .405 on the body and .406 at the heel (boxes are labeled only .406).

Clues?

Inspirations?

What the heck were they intended for?

The 40-65 Winchester of 1886 fame the same cartridge as the 40-60 Marlin with slightly different loading. The very early 40-70 Sharps straight (original) also used bullets of .406" but most likely the 40-65 Win. I have some Barnes original in .406" that are for the 40-65 and they are 250 grain flat nose. The plain white box is most likely Colorado Custom Bullets a maker that made bullets like the Barnes originals. Most shooters of that old caliber use 20:1 cast lead.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy. What a great excuse for a new rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Thanks Murphy. What a great excuse for a new rifle!
    It would probably have to be an old "new" rifle. Or maybe a new Shiloh Sharps in 40-65 or 40-82 (2.4" case) they use .406" also.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You're singing my song!