Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50hp Evinrude Etec on the Kenai?

Default 50hp Evinrude Etec on the Kenai?

Anyone out there ran a 50hp Evinrude etec detuned to 35 on the Kenai River? A1 enterprises in Soldotna said they sold a couple dozen starting last year with a new detune kit. Wondering how the performance is compared with the tried and true Yamaha 50? I think Etec is the only DFI two stroke in that power range. Thanks!

I`m curious too. I would like to repower from my 4-stroke 40 Merc and go to the 50 e-tec.

Why de-tune? 50hp is legal on the Kenai this year (2008). Check the regs.

Default Not a regulation yet...

I have been in contact with Chris Degernes, the chief of field operations with DNR. According to DNR, the regulation is sitting on the desk of the Lt. Governor, but has not been signed yet. In fact, it's been sitting there for awhile now. Without his signature, there is no change in the regs. That little press release that came out in June from DNR about changes to horsepower was only a propsal it turns out, even though it sure looked like a fact when I first read it. No one else I have talked to knows what exactly the hold up is. Maybe someone on this board knows something??

rumor has it that some people got the ear of of the Governor and are using their influence to delay or shoot down the regulation. I would suggest e-mailing the Governor your support of the new regulation.

I am pretty disappointed that this regulation is getting stonewalled. I already sold my old outboard in anticipation of this new regulation. I think protecting the resource with cleaner technology benefits everyone, but that's another topic!

I have e-mailed and I know others have as well. I don't know if will do any good or not but it can't hurt. From how I understand it the Lt. Gov was finally ready to sign after a few bugs were worked out with the legal dept. but the Gov said wait, she had some concerns. During all this a small group of Soldotna residents got her ear.........I am disappointed to hear this as her platform was against special influence and such.

E-mail her and get all those around you to do the same.

Default Email addresses

Here is the email form for the Governor.
    http://gov.state.ak.us/govmail.php

Here is the email form for the Lt Governor.
    http://ltgov.state.ak.us/email.php

I couldn't find the link on the DNR website but here is the press release from the KTUU website:

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=6617076

So according to the KTUU release...

"...Because the regulations must be fully reviewed by the Department of Law and signed by Lt. Governor Sean Parnell before undergoing a 30-day waiting period, they might not take effect until late summer or early fall, Irwin noted. Among the most important elements:
    • As of Jan.1, 2008, boats operating in the KRSMA may use motors of up to and including 50 horsepower, but all motors larger than 35 horsepower must be either four-stroke or Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) two-stroke engines.
    • In 2008 and 2009, all power boaters operating in the KRSMA during the high-traffic month of July must use either four-stroke or DFI two-stroke engines.
    • By Jan. 1, 2010, all power boaters operating anywhere in the KRSMA, including Kenai or Skilak lakes must have either four-stroke or DFI two-stroke engines.
    • The horsepower limits will not apply to boaters in the Kenai or Skilak Lakes or for one mile downstream from the river's Kenai Lake outlet, although the four-stroke or DFI two-stroke requirement will apply as of Jan. 1, 2008.
    • The regulations will impose a maximum boat size in the KRSMA of 21 feet long and 106 inches wide; however, those who own boats larger than that and can prove they owned them before the regulation change may apply for a permit to use the oversized boats until Dec. 31, 2009.
    • As of January 1, 2010, the boat size limit will apply to all powerboats in the KRSMA except on Kenai and Skilak lakes...."

I wish KTUU would date their releases...

As i read this, my 35 hp 2 stroke is OK except for the month of July for 2008 and 2009. In 2010 i need to have a 4 stroke or DFI. Is this still the most current data?
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I have seen that KTUU release, I think it is dated Jun 7th, 2007. The key point in that release is signed by Lt Governor Sean Parnell. All of the proposed reg changes remain proposed until he signs the dotted line. As of last Friday, that hasn't happened. And since we are already past the proposed effective date of jan 1, 2008, there is no telling for sure what will actually happen. So for right now, your 2 stroke 35 is good forever as I understand it.

Default Waste of taxpayer money!

The above info is correct. The Lt. Gov. has not yet signed the proposal and it will not take effect until 30 days after it has been signed.

The only redeeming quality of this proposal is the restriction on actual boat sizes. This has been sorely needed since horsepower restrictions were first implemented.

I do not agree with the proposal!

Lets ban obsolete technology that is already disappearing. Even with out this propsed regulation the 2 stroke polluters are already rapidly disappearing. How many 2 stroke motors did you actually see last summer? Do we really need to be spending law enforcement dollars on somthing that will fix itself?

JB

Quote Originally Posted by beluga View Post
    I have seen that KTUU release, I think it is dated Jun 7th, 2007. The key point in that release is signed by Lt Governor Sean Parnell. All of the proposed reg changes remain proposed until he signs the dotted line. As of last Friday, that hasn't happened. And since we are already past the proposed effective date of jan 1, 2008, there is no telling for sure what will actually happen. So for right now, your 2 stroke 35 is good forever as I understand it.
    Thanks. That's what i understand too. I'm sure several people have sold their 2 strokes and bought 50 hp 4 strokes and those motors will not be Kenai legal unless they can detune them. Kind of a goobered up mess right now.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Well, JRB, obviously the 2-strokes, which pass 20 to 30% of their fuel straight through, are not leaving the river fast enough, hence the "impaired" status. F&G even feels strongly enough that something must be done as they have a proposal before BOF to remove 2-strokes from the dipnet fishery to go along with the proposal sitting on Parnell's desk.

Yeah, goobered up is right. I darn near bought a 50hp Tohatsu DFI two stroke back in October which is not currently de-tuneable to 35 hp. I could get the motor with both a prop and jet lower unit for $6600. Now it looks like I am going with the Yamaha F50 for about $8000. The evinrude e-tec which I originally posted about requires a different tiller handle than is stock to be compatible with a jet lower unit. Too bad, I think jets are better paired with two strokes.

Yamaha's are great motors, but where is the $8000 figure coming from, is that with a prop and jet lower units? Usually they run $6000 to $6500 with a prop.

$6290 for the tiller motor w/ prop at Deweys, $1600 + shipping for jet unit from Outboard jets. I am all ears if there is a better deal on the outboard though. Also, does anyone know if the Yamaha tach is required to run this outboard? Trying to save $$$, but I don't want to not have the low oil and temperature warnings...

I run one without not a problem. I have an older, 1996, T50 that I am going to sell. It is at Ralph's Marine Service right now. I am going to have him go through it and make sure it is up to par.

Default Yamaha tach not required

No- you don't need Yamaha's digital tach. I ended up spending the $$ for it though a coupla yrs back when I bought a new F50. I was glad I did- its a great setup. But- you can buy cheaper analog guages and use them for trim/tilt and Tac, but if I remember correctly, you will not have the oil warning.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jrb View Post
    The above info is correct. The Lt. Gov. has not yet signed the proposal and it will not take effect until 30 days after it has been signed.

The only redeeming quality of this proposal is the restriction on actual boat sizes. This has been sorely needed since horsepower restrictions were first implemented.

I do not agree with the proposal!

Lets ban obsolete technology that is already disappearing. Even with out this propsed regulation the 2 stroke polluters are already rapidly disappearing. How many 2 stroke motors did you actually see last summer? Do we really need to be spending law enforcement dollars on somthing that will fix itself?

JB
    I agree with jrb. Yukon I don't believe that a few of us locals that still have 2 strokes and fish the river a half a dozen times a year are the problem. I believe there are too many boats on the river. BOF can pass the current proposal banning 2 strokes and it merely cures the symptoms. Utlimately we still die by the disease. At some point they must address the shear numbers of boats. And where do the masses come from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast