Thread: Anyone try VARGET in 45-70 loads?

Default Anyone try VARGET in 45-70 loads?

I just ran across a couple loads for the 45-70 using VARGET. I was wondering if anyone here has played with it???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have tried a bunch of different powders going for max performance loads with the RCBS 45-405 cast bullet but that wasnt one of them. I have had my best luck so far with Reloader #7. but I say, wrung what you brung baby! I have tried some goofy loads over the years after seing some powder that I happen to have sitting on the shelf listed in a book, and have had a few good suprizes every now and then!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Not Terrible

I've run a few Varget loads with the 4570 primarily with 300gr Bullets. Accuracy was 'ok' but nothing stellar.

IMR 3031 is still my overall favorite for all weights in this cartridge.

Thumbs down Varget

Tried it had better luck with Reloader 7 H322 and IMR 3031 in the 45-70 with RL7 in the lead!

I've got a couple of other rounds based on the 45-70 case, as well as a couple of 45-70's. All of them do great with RL-7, and where I've compared powders, generally as well or better with it than others. Accuracy wise H322 was a step back, with 3031 a step behind that. I've never tried Varget, but would be really surprised if it did better than RL-7. If so, dandy, but if it doesn't live up to your aims, I'd sure add RL-7 to the list of powders to try next.

I've not tried Varget with the 45-70, but I have used it with many other calibers, and I have found that it is very similar to RL-15.

I loaded some with IMR 4198 last night. (38 grains of powder and a CCI 250 Mag primer.)

The other loads I have put together are 46 grains of IMR 3031 and a CCI 250 primer.
    Both of these loads are using the Remington 405 grain bullet. Which is a little long with the way they put the cannelures on the slug.

I need to go buy some RL-7 the next time I travel up the highway...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com