Guys, it looks to be some changes in the works and some type of preference point system will come into effect. Was wondering what you all think about it. I am against it personally, but our advisory committee discussed a win/win situation.
We feel that a preference point system should be set up, but not in full effect. The reason why is that if we set up a system, you can pretty much eliminate our kids from ever drawing and basically making all drawing hunts a once in a lifetime chance. I really don't think anyone of us wants that. Can you imagine only drawing one TMA a tag in your life? There is no reason to set up a system that eliminates all hope.
Here is what we propose:
A preference point system set up that takes into account 25% of available permits for that species. The other 75% of the allowable permits would still be an "open" drawing giving everyone an equal chance. For example, in the TMA where 100 permits are drawn, 25 of those would be allocated to the preference point system and the other 75 are available for all to apply for.
If we go to a full blown preference point system, we will all be screwed forever. Our kids will be the ones to suffer the most. Don't we all want to have some permits available for all to put in for?
Also, for preference point hunts, you can only choose one hunt per species with those points. That would give you 2 choices for any of the open draw permits available.
Let's here what you think. I know a lot gripe about the current draw system, but a full preference point system will have even more of you griping later on down the road. Our kids may have to keep putting in for 20-30 years before even getting close.