Thread: Spotting scopes

Default Spotting scopes

I have a 15 by 45 spotting scope. Has anyone used this size when sheep hunting/ Is it strong enough? I know it ois a little late to ask as i aready have it but just curious. On a possitive note the one i have is a Leupold wind river and it was suppose to be 100 percent water proff. Last year it got water inside it. I wrote a note and sent it back and recieved a brand new one complete with new straps covers and carrying case. I can say Leupold did stand behind there warranty. The turn around time was less then three weeks. Now that i have it i am thinking if a 20 by 60 might hvae been a better choice/ Opinions/ Thanks Chef Viktor

Default scope...

Chef, you'll do most of your spotting in the 20X-30X range. A 60X scope is seemingly useless unless you are into close-up birding etc. Long distances at those powers are often distorted due to heat "waves" and any movement. (wind etc.)
    A 20X-45X should serve you well.

As for Leupold, well I love their rifle scopes personally, but many think they have compromised their quality on spotters with low prices and "chain store" offerings.
    I would agree.
    Many are raving about L's warranty. Why are they even needing it with a "quality" product?
    A warranty is useless when you are stalking that "possible" full curl ram from two miles and your scope is fogged...

Default Leupold warranty

+1 on Fullkurl's comments. I hear A LOT about Leupold's warranty service.

Default gold ring

I just bought the new High Def. Gold ring spotter and love it. 1,100 is all I could afford to spend, I know some of you guys have thousands to spend on scopes but remember not all of us do.

Thumbs up Nikon XL

Me neither, I spent $275 for my Nikon Xl spotter and it is an awesome scope for the money.

Default Me three...

John,
    I have a Nikon xl II spotter-its new, so no reports yet, it accompanies my Leica geovid binos. I tried to go lighter and more compact this year.
    Leupold just seems to be an ongoing warranty journey for many posters with "Wind River" etc...
    Best, Frank

Default yep

Frank I have heard about alot of warranty claims with Leupold also, but a few people I know have found them in the garbage and sent them in and got it repaired under warranty. Not many companies that would do that. I have heard good things about that Nikon from more than one person though. Can't wait to hear your and akhunter45's reports.

If I were in the market for a new spotting scope I would purchase a Leica, hands down.

Default Wind Rivers

The majority of the bad reports I hear on Leupold optics are from the Wind Rivers line. I have a 15 year old gold ring rifle scope that has never failed me, and the Gold Ring spotting scopes are right up there with the big three. I currently use a Leica 62 for my sheep hunting, but only becuase I found a used one in a camera shop for about half of what they retail for now. For years I used a B&L elite 15-45 (twin of the Nikon XL). The B&L & Nikon will serve a sheep hunter well. I've done side by sides with the B&L and Leica. The Leica is noticeably better, especially in the morning and evenings, but it is also a pound heavier. All that to say if you've only got 300 bucks to spend on a spotter, the B&L or Nikon are excellent choices. Even the old Bushnell Spacemasters did a pretty good job.

Frank, what is the difference between the Nikon XL and the Xl II? I've also had a Leupold Vari-X II on my 270 thats been on there for about 17 years and it works as good as the day I bought it. I have also heard a lot about warranty claims with the Windriver line of bino's and scopes, thats why I stayed away from them.

The XL II's have the extendable sun shade and are a tad heavier.
    Don't forget about the Burris Spotters. Not the LandMarks, the Signature Spotters.

I just bought one "The Spotter" by Burris. 18-45x60mm that is in the same category as the Nikon XL's and Bushnell Elites. Heck, they probably all come out the the same factory in Japan. I bet the glass does at least. They have the sunshade, not that I care about it. Got it on ebay brand new (used but not used) for $250. Still had the Bob Wards price tag of over $500 on sale on the box. Waterproof, shockproof, etc. plus the Burris Forever Warranty. I was ready to buy the first one of these three that I could get for 250. Just happened to be the Burris. I think any of these three scopes is a great value.

I would really like to have a Pentax 20-60x65 ED though! Might be worth the extra pound and a half. Maybe someday.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

whoops....double post
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again