Thread: .300 H&H Nostalgia

Default .300 H&H Nostalgia

My uncle recently sent me some .300 H&H brass that my grandfather had. My grandfather died when I was in grade school. At 35 years old, I'm now learning that he was a heck of a rifleman and built several custom guns back in his day. Evidently, he was a big fan of the .257 Roberts and .300 H&H.

Anyway, I have in my possession 10 boxes of unfired, vintage Norma brass and some fired Super-X brass, complete with my grandfather's handwritten loading data - dated July, 1955.

I may have to round up an old .300 H&H, just so I can walk a few steps in my grandfather's footsteps.

I got both my sons Remington 721 300 H&H's a year ago. Excellent round. I got them because their Grandpa (my Dad) always had one and they wanted to follow Gramps.

kingfisherktn

Do it!

It's been quite a while since I owned a 300, but it's a dandy round.

As for the 257, I've got three of them, so you might guess I'm partial.

Thumbs up

I am in the process of getting one built from scratch. Way to go and go get one for yourself. I love the old school calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    My uncle recently sent me some .300 H&H brass that my grandfather had. My grandfather died when I was in grade school. At 35 years old, I'm now learning that he was a heck of a rifleman and built several custom guns back in his day. Evidently, he was a big fan of the .257 Roberts and .300 H&H.

Anyway, I have in my possession 10 boxes of unfired, vintage Norma brass and some fired Super-X brass, complete with my grandfather's handwritten loading data - dated July, 1955.

I may have to round up an old .300 H&H, just so I can walk a few steps in my grandfather's footsteps.
    Last time I was hanging out in your garage you were saying you did not have a 300 cal in your safe and I know there is room. I peeked ! Go spend that coaching check!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The excellent old .300 H&H. My grandfather had a Model 70 chambered in 300 H&H, custom built sometime in the '40s, by Al Bieson, when the latter still lived in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. One of my earliest memories at the bench was watching him handloading for his "British 300" using Hollywood and Herters equipment. Grandpa was a firm believer in getting all the potential out of this little Holland and Holland, loading WW Super 300 H&H Belted Magnum cases stuffed full of Hercules powder and topped with some of those early Nosler partition bullets. He sure was proud of that rifle and loved to tell how the .300 Belted Rimless Magnum cartridge had won the 1000 yard Wimbledon Cup. With this rifle he killed a bunch of Canadian moose and two good bears: a real pretty Yukon grizzly and a polar bear in the Northwest Territory. I sure wish I had just some of his reloading data not to mention his reloading gear or rifle would be beyond my wildest dreams. All long gone, as he died many years ago, while I was away in the service, and others ended up with everything.

If you can find one in a Winchester Model 70 don't pass it up. One of the unique advantages of the 300 H&H is that the long tapered case slides up from the magazine to the chamber so smoothly that you can't resist the temptation to pull the bolt back just to make sure that you have chambered a round.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I stumbled on an 80's vintage Model 70 XTR: sporter-style, blued, walnut, cut checkering, pushfeed. The rifle has a flip up/down rear sight and a hooded front sight. It's in excellent condition...truly excellent condition, and most importantly, it's chambered in .300 H&H.

I don't know a lot about Model 70's. I am not looking for a collector rifle, more of a nostalgic rifle, in this particular chambering. This one seems to be a very nice looking specimen, but I don't know what something like this is worth. I am afraid a pre-64 is going to cost more than I'm willing to spend at this time.

The tag says $750, and the guy said he'd sell it for $700. Good deal? Any thoughts?

Offer him 600 and see what he says maybe? If you like the rifle and its as nice as you describe I would think it'd be worth 700.

Default 300 H & H

I bought a Pre 64 Mod 70 300 H & H from Gun Traders back in the mid 80's. The idea was to rebarrel it to 8 Mag. I had sold my Mod 700 to a friend. I made the mistake of putting a scope on it and taking it to the range at Birchwood. I have used it to take Moose and Black Bear. It is very accurate and holds 4 in the magizine instead of 3. I still have it and use it now and then. Great old rifle that will belong to one of my 4 sons someday.

Quote Originally Posted by t-w-t View Post
    I bought a Pre 64 Mod 70 300 H & H from Gun Traders back in the mid 80's. The idea was to rebarrel it to 8 Mag. I had sold my Mod 700 to a friend. I made the mistake of putting a scope on it and taking it to the range at Birchwood. I have used it to take Moose and Black Bear. It is very accurate and holds 4 in the magizine instead of 3. I still have it and use it now and then. Great old rifle that will belong to one of my 4 sons someday.
    mod 70 300 H & H is a great gun to have. But 4 sons now you are just bragging.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

When I hear 300 H&H I think about the time I scoped myself when I was young.
    Actually, everytime I fire a rifle I do...