Thread: How many other vintage riders?

Default How many other vintage riders?

I myself ride a 1970 Arctic Cat Panther. See if I can list some of the mods Ive made over the years.Everything has been taken apart and powder coated or polished.Under carriage from a 71'(less boggies,sits higher,more of a gradual slope on front to better climb on to snow),after market hi-arch leaf springs from 70's,made 1 piece petex ski skins 11" wide w/counter-sunk mount holes using SS aircraft bolts and nylocs,fabricated gas tank out of aluminum and relocated to front(10 gal),fabricated rear cargo rack,90's tundra seat recovered,90's EXT handle bars and stem added after pics w/grip and thumb warmers,fabricated dash out of aluminum,N.O.S. Arctic Cat speedo/tach/compass from 70's,500cc Spirit f/a from late 70's Cat,Otter Box mounted on dash for ammo,gun scabard under cowling(butt of rifle sticks out by rt leg,just pull out and shoot),and counless lttle mods as well.Weight of machine is 275lbs and runs circles around wifes 07' tundra and the 93' and 94' i used to have in the deep stuff.The 16.5" wide track helps with that.Next to do is to refinish the 71' Axial Flow cowling I have out back and replace it with the 70' on it now,just like the way they look.I use it on all my hunt trips and have been doing so for bout 6 years now adding mods as they pop into my head.Would love to hear from others who still give the oldies a lil' love.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 1967 Caribou Wards snowmobile I sometimes ride. Not too many of these around. I like riding it because it always attention to itself.

I used to ride a 1975 John Deere 300 back when I was in high school and couldn't afford anything better. I think one of my younger cousins in Montana still rides it.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Nifty

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    ...just like the way they look.I use it on all my hunt trips and have been doing so for bout 6 years now adding mods as they pop into my head.Would love to hear from others who still give the oldies a lil' love.
    She's a beauty. I like the old machines too, and in my thinking, the 70's and 80s machines were the golden years of snowmachines.

I just got done letting my Outdoor Ed. class watch one of the modern videos on hill climbing and other extreme stuff snowmachine after a week of snowmachine safety. Impressive, but the riders seem to have is no real respect for their machines. They just seem to be tools to display themselves on.

I am like you: I love to tinker, make mods, make a machine look classy and fit my needs. Kind of like a hotrod in the car world.

To me modern machines don't seem to have any real class. They are amazing, but bizarre looking.

I had a '72 440 Panther, that I cross bred with a '75 Cheetah. I could and did go everywhere with that machine, but I especially loved it for ptarmigan hunting.

Now my oldest machine is a '93 EXT, and I also have a '96 Indy Sport. Both are OK machines, but my students say they are "ancient". Guess I am too.

I am looking at restoring a '69 Polaris Mustang, but haven't hauled it to my house yet.

67 Panther 4 stroke. 2 68 Sno-jets, 79 El-Tigre and alot of work to do!

Default Kohler engine?

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    67 Panther 4 stroke. 2 68 Sno-jets, 79 El-Tigre and alot of work to do!
    67 Panther 4 stroke! Picture please!