Thread: Best Deals on Outboards?

Default Best Deals on Outboards?

Are the boat shows the best places to buy new outboards? I want to upgrade my 70hp four stroke to a 115 Yamaha and wonder when I should buy. I understand the first boat show of the year is coming up in February. Is this typically the show with the best pricing/warranty deals?

The Feb boat show is a good time to make a smoke'n deal on an outboard. Plus you'll get what you want in time. That F115 is a sweetheart. You may even find a prior-year model at a discounted price. (Word of advise, I wouldn't recommend doing business with River & Sea Marine if they are there).

I know that you mention Yamaha but I picked up a Suzuki 115 from George at Anchorage Yamaha and Suzuki at the show last year. They treated me well and were easy to work with. Great customer service and good deal. I think they only sell Suzi's however. I have no interest other than a satisfied customer.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the Yamaha's and Suzuki's and will probably base my choice between the two on price/warranty. I'd seriously consider Honda, but their current 115 is a pig.

Are you interested in a used F115? I am thinking of upgrading my 2003 F115 to a 150 Yamaha or a 175 Suzuki.

I have twin f115's and they are great motors and have been completely trouble free. My buddy has the same motors on his boat and after about 700 hours one of his motors had a lower gear problem last September. Dewey's fixed it in a couple of days. I think it cost him an hour's labor. All four of these are 2003 models. BUT if I was buying new or re-powering I would look hard at Suzuki. They are also great motors and are usually several humdreds cheaper to buy. They also have the "Give me Six" promotion every year, usually between March and May, during which you get a six year factory warrantee for no extra cost. You can check this promotion on the Suzuki web site. So when you shop make sure you get this free 6 year deal. If you buy in February just put a deposit on the motor and just don't pick it up until the promotion is in effect.Two places in Anchorage carry Suzuki's. Both great motors. Your choice.

Default Upgrade

If you are looking to upgrade to a F115 I would recomend checking Craigslist and other sources for used motors. At least one local dealer is really pushing the 115 horse and it seems there are usually a lot of people that are looking to upgrade low hour motors from a 115 to 150.

Default best deals on outboards

FYI, I was in Deweys last week and they had a couple posted on their board. Cant say what year or hours but i think they were going for about $6k each. Might be worth looking into.

At $6k for used, I'd rather get a new one for $8ish with the full warranty. I'm definitely looking to buy new.

Ditto's on Anchorage Yamaha if you're looking for suzuki power. Of course if you look at the suzuki 115, you'll realize the 140 is the same weight, and then the wheels will start spinning.

I was planning on getting a new 140 last year, but Anchorage Yamaha had a 1 y/o 140 for the same price as a new 115. It's a great motor, and saving $2k to a motor that was just broken in made sense at the time.

I was looking pretty hard at the OMC 4-stroke a couple of years back that was built by Suzuki. I really like lots of things about it, but ended up with a carbed 150 V-Max.
    The jets on those Suzuki 140 uses the same pump as the big V-6 engines. The boat shop calls them "super pumps". I never quite figured out how the 140 produces so much power.
    In the long run, for Fairbanks, parts looked like the issue. There are no Suzuki dealers here, and only a few of the 4-stroke OMC/Suzukis got sold.
    I would sure look at them again if there was the support here in FAI.