Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop camp water purification

Default Drop camp water purification

A buddy and I are going on a week drop hunt out of Kotzebue this September. What are the opinions on water purification methods? I've used filter pumps in the past and found them a pain in the *****. Are the UV light sticks of any use?

The water pumps are worth their weight in gold when your miles away from clean fresh water and I wouldn't use anything else. I've used my Katadyn Pro Hiker on 2 float trips, that coupled with a 2/5 gallon collapsible water jug is the ticket.

Default Boil

We carry both a filter and a Coleman stove when we hunt. The filter takes care of drinking water and boiling takes care of everything else. I'm assuming that the water will be clear.

Default Water Filtration and Systems

Well - I know Deep Subject.

I have used just about anything and everything over the years, some better than others some not worth the time they took the manufacture the product.

Past several years I have liked using the Drip Bag Katadyn gives you about 1 Gallon of drinkable water without to much work and reasonable concerning price. Sportsmans has them in stock most of the time.

Water Bota has a nice Dip and Drink bottle which is my back up.

If your looking to have true out - put check this out:

Katadyn Expedition Water Filter - Item #2702 fromt he NRS web Site. NICE! Way over-kill but nice.

I am not a big fan pf pumping water seems I am get old and lazy at the same time. Drip bag for me.

Some of the issues with any filtrations systmes is blockage becuase of the water you are trying to filter. I fyou know your going to a glaciated water source take two pieces of Cheese Cloth to put over your pump it helps!

Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Only three things have worked out for me over the long hawl: Filter pump, spare filters, and a spare filter pump.

Pumping water is just one of the chores that you pass around camp, kind of like dish washing. Get one of those 5 gallon collapsible bottles or a couple of the smaller ones, and each day it's someone elses job to top them off.

Default pure water

The Katadyn hiker works like a champ. 3 of us were in the same area last Sept. I have used the pump on 10 different hunts with no issues. You can buy the little unit or the Pro. 15 minutes will purify 5-7 gallons. Light to carry and has never failed.
    RC

not sure who makes it but I have used a filter that uses gravity to pull water through a filter....you put the filter into a bucket of water...suck on a tube to get it going and it drips out a few gallons in an afternoon...no health issues yet and I've used it for years.

I also believe in the katadyn xstream filter/purifier water bottle. it's not cheap (got mine at cabelas) but it's a great way to stay hydrated since you just fill up the bottle and squeeze the water into your parched mouth. it gives you almost unlimited water capability on day hikes and saves you lugging three liters of water when you can make your own anywhere you find a decent source. I've used it on tannic waters as well with no drawbacks. It treats it physically and chemically for complete bug protection. I love it.

Default Aqua Mira

I used Aqua Mira this last fall and I may just throw my filter out. You can treat a lot of water at once, don't have to sit there and pump, and the water still tastes good. I used the drops, but they also have tablets.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default MSR Miox

I use a MSR Miox pen purifyer and it works slik. I usually treat 2 1/2 gallons at a time. Just make sure you take fresh salt with you.

Default Drop camp water

Something else to think about is, if your traveling out in a beaver or have extra room weight-wise you can tote out a couple collapsable water jugs full of H2O. I do this for 7 day drop moose hunting out of a beaver and take the filter for backup but usually end up filtering very little water. Moose drop for us requires hunting from before daybreak until dark, so it's nice to have water waiting for a late dinner if at all some nights.

Backpack hunts and walk-ins require filter, and I like Katadyn pro hiker. I hear more and more good reviews on the Aqua Mira and will likely give them a shot. Good Luck

Thumbs up water filter

Katadyn has a gravity operated water bag/filter called the Camp water filter.

http://products.katadyn.com/brands-a...n_Camp_25.html

Try the link and see what you think. Like to hear your opinion, too, BrownBear.

Default katadyn

we use a katadyn expedition drip bag. fill the bag at nite and by the next morning 3 gal of filtered water...pumps work but i'm getting to old, just want to relax after all day hunting. bag and collapsible jug doesn't take up much space. use a aquamira filtration water bottle for hunting works great too....

Default katadyn

i blew the seal out of my katadyn on my last hunt, after only about 30 gallons total through it. luckily i had iodine tablets along. my advice is carry the tablets as a backup.

Default What tablets?

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    i blew the seal out of my katadyn on my last hunt, after only about 30 gallons total through it. luckily i had iodine tablets along. my advice is carry the tablets as a backup.
    This is always my fear...what kind of tablets do you carry? I've used some that just taste nasty. Suggestions??

Default taste nasty

yes they do taste nasty, that is for sure. I will check and see what kind they are tomorrow, they are in my pack in the garage. They don't taste good, but hey, it sure was better than having to boil water and wait for it to cool.

Default Water pills

I have ben using Potable Aqua pills for many years and have never had a problem. Even used them in water that had sheep around(nasty). They now come with a nutralizing pill that kills the taste after sterilizing the water. I don't usually worry about the taste as I always poor a little Tang or Gatoraid powder in the water. Kills the taste and gives you the electrolites you are loosing by all that sweating.
    G'luck.
    Bruce

Thumbs up sounds like a winner

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I have ben using Potable Aqua pills for many years and have never had a problem. Even used them in water that had sheep around(nasty). They now come with a nutralizing pill that kills the taste after sterilizing the water. I don't usually worry about the taste as I always poor a little Tang or Gatoraid powder in the water. Kills the taste and gives you the electrolites you are loosing by all that sweating.
    G'luck.
    Bruce
    Hey, I like this idea! Where do you purchase them Bruce?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I don't usually worry about the taste as I always poor a little Tang or Gatoraid powder in the water. Kills the taste and gives you the electrolites you are loosing by all that sweating.
    G'luck.
    Bruce
    Nice trick...I do the same thing. You can even buy those to go packets of lemonade, tea, fruit punch, ect. (Crystal Lite Brands)

I like using the collapsable 2-5 gal. water bags. They work great. Light, cheap and takes up little room.

For water I have used the MSR Sweetwater now for 10 years. Mine looks a little different but uses the same filter.

http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/sweetwater.asp

I have had no problems with this set up and it is compact, durable and light. The filter can even freeze and it will not hurt it.

Good investment.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default MSR Miniworks...

We float rivers up above Kotz (lower Noatak tribs) often and use MSR Miniworks. It is the best filter I have ever used. You just have to prime it as the instructions tell you. All you do is put the end of the tube in the water, pump 10 times or so, the remove the tip from the water and pump 10 times, then put it back in. Incredibly simple, but if you dont do this, it works very poorly. It is incredibly effecient and reliable. Just be sure to follow directions and prime it. The only person I ever talked to that did not love this filter, did not prime it. They are like $75 at Cabelas, REI, any decent camping store. We use the collapsible plastic buckets to get water out of the river and carry it to camp and sit down and filter the water out of it. Much easier than standing in the edge of the river. They are sold on Campmor and cost like $6. Look in cooking section on their website. They make a nice storage for the filter. Put the filter in the bucket and roll it up, use a small bungee if you want. That adds some protection to this very important piece of equipment. We are floating the Wulik in Sept (NW of Kotz). We have floated the Kelly and Kugururok (Noatak tribs). If you are by chance going to one of those, shoot me a pm and I will send you some pictures if you want.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another Katadyn user here. Pumping water is just one of the camp chores. I try to make sure my partner brings his own filter so we can get the job done quick. I bring two 2.5 gallon collapsable jugs and fill them both right after I get my tent up. This is generally enough drinking water for 5 days or more for me. For my cooking water I go to the creek with a pot and boil it for 5 minutes. Since the only thing I tend to eat in camp is freeze dried and instant..just add water.. I have had no issue with just boiling water for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast