Thread: Reducing .338 win recoil

Default Reducing .338 win recoil

I just bought a new Ruger M77 Mark II 338 Win Mag. SS w/Target grey stock. It was a good deal at 389.00 on sale so I could not pass it up. I want your advice on anything I can do to reduce recoil. Can i Add wieght? Can I buy a special Pad. I do not want a muzzle Brake But any other advice will not be taken for granted. Thanks in advance.

PS. I still have a scar from my 300 rem ultra mag but the flinch is gone.

Default Reducing .338 Win. recoil

Quote Originally Posted by elhewman View Post
    I just bought a new Ruger M77 Mark II 338 Win Mag. SS w/Target grey stock. It was a good deal at 389.00 on sale so I could not pass it up. I want your advice on anything I can do to reduce recoil. Can i Add wieght? Can I buy a special Pad. I do not want a muzzle Brake But any other advice will not be taken for granted. Thanks in advance.

PS. I still have a scar from my 300 rem ultra mag but the flinch is gone.

I hear you about the recoil. I installed a muzzle brake on my .300 RUM, which is rather light, and that made it pleasant to shoot. I would make that my first suggestion for your .338, but you may be trying to save your hearing. There is a company named Knoxx Recoil Solutions that might have the answer to your concern. They make a stock for your rifle that has an internal recoil dampener and it has over-molded rubber on the outside by Hogue. My concern with it is that it would make a rifle too heavy. If, however, you can bash your way through the alders all day with a 9.5 lb. rifle, that might be the stock for you.
    Jack.

I'd start off by getting a nice 1" Limbsaver or decelerator recoil pad.

Thumbs up Pad

Same as above in addition to Mag Na Port.......not as bad as Muzzlebrake and looks better also!

http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html

I'll back the reco's for Limbsaver and Magnaport rather than other brakes. You can also put one of those PAST pads in or on your jacket. I've used those mercury filled recoil reducers in calibers heavier than the 338 and they really work, though they take smithing skills to install.

Here's another great suggestion. Get some of the Hornady 200 grain FN bullets (#3315) bullets made for the 33 Winchester and load those down to around 2200-2500 fps. They're really potent deer loads and easy, even fun to shoot. Even if you never use them on deer, they're great practice rounds, and you'll aclimate to heavier loads a lot faster. You can load any 200 grain bullet down that low for practice, though they may not open as well on deer. If you can find any cheaper bullets, load them down and practice with the gun. After a few hundred rounds with those, the full snort loads won't seem bad at all.

Default 338 Wm

A new 338 WM, sounds like fun. I shoot my 338 WM, a Browning A-Bolt, a bunch and I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes. I installed a 1" Pacymar on mine, which is now about shot. I'm going to try a Limbsaver next time, a little more cushion. My only complaint against the Limbsaver is they aren't as durable in the field and are more suseptible to solvents than the Pacymar. I still use Pacymar on lesser caliber guns. I'm not saying the recoil isn't a issue with the 338, I limit my range and practice session to 15-20 rounds with my 338 so I don't develope a flinch. I usually take along a mild kicking rig so I can instill good shooting habits. I work on handloads for several friends and myself so I get quite a bit of time shooting which I use to help me from developing bad habits that can spill over into the field while hunting.

Woody