Thread: Floods of 2006

Default Floods of 2006

Was there any discussion or idea whats going to happen to the salmon returns after the big floods in the Susitna Valley 2 years ago.Im no expert, but wouldnt all the eggs from the salmon spawning been washed out?

Default Valdez

It happened over here too. The following year, as some streams were moved, salmon did not show up in the usual places. Just below my house, this year, a bunch of silvers showed up. Then just before Christmas another run or something came up the Lowe River and the eagles returned once more for the cleanup.

It could be interesting. Even last year, the stream behind my house went dry for the first time since I moved here. There are usually chum, silvers and a little run of reds that are through there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Deshka Runs Down

I know the run of Kings was down this year (which according to biologists had nothing to do with the floods). But the silver run was way way down this year as well. From almost 60K in 2006 to 10+k this past year?
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineguide View Post
    But the silver run was way way down this year as well. From almost 60K in 2006 to 10+k this past year?
    Yeah, but if ADFG takes the weir down before the coho arrive, no one will ever know.... SHHHHH.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Smile You got it. . .

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Yeah, but if ADFG takes the weir down before the coho arrive, no one will ever know.... SHHHHH.
    See. . . ? Told you it was a plot. . .

thats what they said about the anchor the year the deep creek bridge washed out i don't think there was many problems. Mother nature
    factors floods like that in...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default yes

There has been much discussion of the floods' impact in the meetings. There is a meeting January 30 at Lake Lucille Inn where it will be brought up again. Dave Rutz is very aware of it. Silvers and kings were the most visibly impacted by the flood: king production in most valley systems was virtually zero. We should see effects this year in the 5-15# class of kings, and might see an effect in the silvers. Silvers weren't as badly hit as the kings, because many were still able to spawn- a lot of spawning did take place out in swamps and well away from areas that hold water year round, due to the extreme high water. Fisheries managers are looking at it carefully; hopefully the board of fish will consider it too when making decisions for the next 3 year cycle (not just from the sportfishing aspect, either)