Thread: Grinding logs of a cabin

Default Grinding logs of a cabin

Which is more effective and quickest, a wire cup brush or grinding wheel for brightening up logs? Perhaps a belt sander or something else? I want it to look good but I don't want to spend the whole Summer at it.

pressure washing works.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    pressure washing works.
    If you mix 4 parts water with 1 part bleach, spray it onto the walls, then wait 5 minuits before washing it off you will be amazed at the years it will take off of wood. A preasure washer is not required but it helps.

If you are set on using a grinder then I would go with the wire brush. It will wear out quicker but it will probably let you move faster too.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

How long would you wait after pressure washing/bleaching to rechink and seal the logs so as to be sure you're not sealing in any moisture? I know humidity outside will affect dry time but are we talking a couple days or a couple weeks.

Give it as much time as you would for a heavy rain. It depends on humidity and how sunny it is but I would think a week of sunny/low humidity shoul do. That said it should only take about a month of alaska weather to get a week of sunny weather.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Default logs

I have used everything from a sandblaster to a automotive orbital sander
    it depends on the conditon of the logs and what they were coated with.
    Time wise it depends on how motivated you are to go fishing!! I have done a fair ammount of this in the past you if you post a picture I can give you a better idea. Brian

Default grinders!

I spent much time cleaning logs and siding this summer. I used all the methods and when it was all said and done I choose an orbital grinder over everything. It's dirty natsy work but in the end I believe it produces the best results. If you email me (no im's) I'll send pics (before and after)... and I own no stock in any tool company.........

reuben.....

I am planning on finishing my logs this summer also. They were(2 years ago) nice freshly milled logs(1st picture). Since the construction they have faded to a light grey. Do any of you think i will be able to get by with the power wash and acid method or am I going to loose valuable fishing time AGAIN this year?

The acid method works great. Damp the logs, spray it on with a pressure-tank style garden sprayer, let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off. Pressure washing isn't needed on unfinished wood. You can actually damage the wood by using a pressure washer, so it should only be used for removing old finish.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Joat is right. The bleach mixture and a water hose is enough. Just spray the mixture on a 20' section of wall then grab your hose and wash it off. I have done this to wood that has been left for years exposed and un-protected it never fails to make the wood look new.

A recomendation from my experience is to get a good sprayer. If you use a cheep garden sprayer it will work but they dont spray as far or long. And after a little use some of the spray starts dribbling down your arm. It is a good way to ruin some clothes and get a nice rash from clorine burns.