Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300WSM. Is it the real deal?

Default 300WSM. Is it the real deal?

I'm seriously looking at getting a 300WSM/Sako 85 combo.

What I would like to know is. Who here is getting factory velocities(3000fps/180gn combo) or more through hands-loads? Is it possible?

Allot has been said regarding this cal. GOOD? the BAD? or the UGLY?
    I would love to hear from actual 300WSM users.
    Please speak-up. What is your verdict.

Thumbs up

When I lived in Alaska I bought a new Win M70 300wsm and used to hunt Moose, Bear, Goat, sheep and deer. I worked up some hand loads with 69 grains of RL19 and 180 grain Hornady Interbonds. My rifle will shoot 3 shot groups under an inch with a fouled barrel @ 3050 fps average over my chrony. I have only recovered 2 bullets out of 2 moose, 2 goats 2 bears 1 sheep and several deer that were shot and none of them required any tracking. The most impressive was a nice 67" Bull moose I shot at 200yds quartering towards me that I shot through the front shoulder breaking it, and found the bullet lodged in the offside rib cage. Bullet retained 85% and the bull fell in his tracks.
    I love my 300 wsm and very Happy with the Interbond bullet performance. I have also worked up a good load with the 168 triple shocks and RL19. When the 325 wsm came out I pondered if I should give it a try, but since I was already achieving 325 factory velocities with my 300 I decided to try some 200 Grain accubonds and see what kind of velocity I could get with out concerns of pressure. I was able to get 2900 and with out playing with the seating depth I shot a 5 shot group 1.25". I decided to stay with my 300 wsm

MD

340 Guy

I have a custom built 300 WSM built by Hart on one of their actions with a 24 inch barrel. I am not one to squeeze out every last f/s out of my guns. I have no trouble achieving 2950 with 180's. They are chronographed speeds, not theory. I have only played with the 180's so far. Very accurate, gun will shoot .5 in 3 shot groups if I do my part. Treats my shoulder with more respect than a 300 Win or Weatherby. Kills animals just as dead.

Very happy with the gun and I really like short actions. Just makes a much nicer gun to carry IMHO and I spend much more time carrying than shooting.

No bad or ugly to report from me!

Bad-3 shot mag.

I haven't owned one yet, but when I do it's going to make the most of the short action. I'm going with a 22" barrel, and darn the velocity torpedoes. I'm looking for a gun size- and weight-wise to replace an 06, but with more moxy. I've got an assortment of mags with long actions and 24" barrels, and I just don't need another. No sense having a heavy rifle when it presents such a good opportunity to cut the weight while keeping great ballistics.

I'm considering it because of all the great reports I'm hearing about the caliber, such as those you already have received.

I dont believe I would go with the WSM over the WM in a Sako 85. My reasoning is this, the 300WSM is only more appealing than the 300WM in the nice little lightweight packages like my Kimber Montana or even in a Finnlite. If the gun is gonna weigh 7-8 lbs minus a couple oz for the shorter action its just not worth it to me. If you were going for a lightweight rifle in a compact package then the 300WSM is the best of all worlds. For optimum performance in the 85 I'd go WM over the whizum.

Oh and I love my Kimber Montana and believe its as good a package as I could ask for , considering what I bought it for.

I have a sako 85 finnlight in 300 wsm. I have not put many rounds through it but so far i am very happy with it for a light weight easy to cary gun and from what i have seen it looks like it will be a half moa gun, it is for sure a sub moa gun. Have a couple things to get used to like the 3 position safty that locks the bolt closed. I think it is a very good idea but i need to get used to it. I was hunting deer with it this fall and between chambering a round and taking the scope covers off i lost sight of the deer but with more time using the gun i know i will se that as a nice feature and not as something that takes more time.

Thumbs up 300 Wsm

Very good and accurate round......more accurate than my 300 win mag .....with RL 19 and IMR 4831 with 168 TSX the 3000 FPS mark is very close. The 180gr TSX is excellent with the 300 WSM, but do not suggest a heavier bullet due case capacity.

One load I use in my Win 70 is Win 760 with 180 Fail Safe and WLRM primers in WW Cases.

Thumbs up Sako 75/85 Finnlight

I purchased the Sako 75 Finnlight in 2005 and loved everything about it. I've since sold that one to my father in Montana but not before taking moose (1), caribou(2) sitka blacktail deer(1) and pronghorn antleope (1) with it. Recoil was manageable in the lighter rifle/short action (my wife shot it very well also). The farthest any of the above mentioned animals traveled after being hit was 40 yards (sitka deer) using 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Packed it on a 10 day sheep hunt in the Alaska Range this fall (I don't think it's as light as the Kimber, but still nice to carry).

This fall, I replaced the model 75 with the model 85 Sako Finnlight. It shoots just as well as the 75, holds 4 in the magazine, has a different stock (I think I like the one on the 75 better), and is a joy to carry. 180 gr Hornady Interlocks chrono'd 2950 at the range (handloads using 70.6 gr of H4831) and grouped around an inch in cold windy conditions with a makeshift bench. Both rifles were topped with a Leupold 2.5x8 scope. In November that rifle took 4 deer on Kodiak. Given the right conditions, I would have no problem taking a grizz/brown with a well constructed, well placed bullet with the 300 WSM (I'll start experimenting with heavier bullets this winter).

I also have a 338WM and a 300WM (both Sakos) but would choose the 300WSM as my go to rifle if I had to choose. A bit light for the big bears, can be loaded down for antelope sized game. Good luck with your choice.

DS

I had two rifles that were gathering space in my safe. Both were Win 70's and one was an 06 and the other was a 300WSM. I took the barreled actions out of the stock and weighed them and found out the 300WSM weighed in about 5 ounces lighter.
    Same barrel contours and I think they both measured the same at the muzzle and they were both 24 inches long.
    Since my project was to build a reasonably lightweight rifle I chose the 300WSM and put it in a McMillan Edge stock.
    Point is the 300WSM can give you a more powerful lighter package than the 06 without spending an arm and a leg to do it. I have never put a scope on this rifle yet nor worked up a load for it but I have discovered the following from reading about other owners:
    a. The 300WSm is the most accurate (on average) of all the WSM series.
    b. It is not difficult to get 2900 or even slightly more speed with 180's but most tell me they can not hit 3,000 fps like they can with a 300 WM.

So it will easily beat whatever the 06 can do by about 150 fps in a lighter package. But most rifles only hold 3 down (dang Savages only hold 2!) compared that a Win 70 06 can hold 5 down.

Decide what is important to you and go for it. Besides, a man can not own to many rifles!
    Tennessee

The sako will hold 4 in the box.

I'm sure glad to find a site where folks like the 300 WSM (a lot of negativity out there). Anyway I bought a 300 WSM in a Rem 700 CDL SF in Nov and have started working up loads for it. I've been trying 180 gr Nosler Partitions with up to max loads of RE-22 and RE-19 but have only got 2750 over the chrony so far. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on here?

Calif_Mike

Wow! That does sound strange! How do your max loads compare with "book" max? Are you peaking out too soon for some reason?

Some suggestions include:
    H4350, start at 62 and work up.
    W760, start at 63 and go up.

How many grains of RL 22 1nd 19 are you finding to be a max load? 68 should be about right for RL 19 and 70-71 for RL 22.

Another good choice would be to try 7828, start at 68 and go up. Some of the slower powders may require a drop tube. I would also suggest you adjust your seating die so your bullets are just off the lands as sometimes this hleps velocity as well.
    Tennessee

I have a Tikka 300wsm and really like it.

I have only played with 165gr bullets, Hornady Interbonds, Sirocco II's, TSX's and 168gr Sierra Matchkings (for plinking). Initially tried MagPro and RL19, but have settled on H4350 for now. I don't remember the charge weight off the top of my head, but using Win brass, Fed 215 match primers, H4350, & 165gr TSX, I'm getting around 3070fps and 100yd groups that I can cover with a nickle. Pretty pleased with it. Especially when my results with this combination remains consistent with different lots of bullets & powders.

So far the only troubles I've had is with the Sirrocco II's. They seemed real finicky when trying to work up a load. I'd see groups start to tighten up then the next charge weight would spray, the next tighter, the next spray....there just wasn't any consistency. That was with RL19 and I haven't tried any other powders yet, but this may just be a bullet my rifle doesn't like.

The only other issue was with the crooked tip Interbonds. They still shot good, but the crooked tips bothered me. It wasn't an isolated incident as between me and other coworkers we had boxes of .308 165gr, 225gr. .338, 7mm to examine and as you rolled the bullet across the table you could watch the plastic tip wobble off center. Anyway, that's off the subject...there's a post about the crooked tips on here quite a while ago. Might find it through a search.

Next up for me will be to play with some of the new TTSX's or maybe some 180gr bullets.

Snowwolfe and Brownbear,

I havn't reached max in my rifle, just book max from the Speer 14 manual. I don't remember the exact charge weight right now but its right about 70 grains for both 19 and 22.

I've got a series of loads worked up right now using H4350 and H4831sc sitting on my bench waiting for the weather to clear here.

Calif_Mike

Calif_mike,

I'm shooting 69 grains of RL-19 with a 180grain Interbond and getting 3000+ easy with super accuracy. My M70 likes a fouled tube for that combo to achieve the best accuracy.

Default 300 Wsm

I hear a lot of people on other forums saying how much they hate the 300 WSM and how it was a waste and how there 300 win mag is so much better because...Bull crap! I used to have a 300 WSM in a kimber montana. I had two diferent loads for it that shot very tight groups at 300 win mag velocities. Even 200 gr bullets shot right up there with the 300 win mag. I don't have my reloading info available to me at the moment. (sold house and in an apartment temporarily...reloading stuff in storage) I was getting 2,890 fps with 200 gr accubonds and IMR 7828. My favorite load was with IMR 4831 and 180 gr barnes MRX's at 3,050 fps. I don't mean to come across as a 300 win mag hater. One of my favorite rifles is a 300 win mag. But in the end I would probabaly carry my old 300 wsm more often than the longer/heavier win mag. Both are excellent choices and a guy can't go wrong with either.

I am getting 3080 fps with a 168 TSX in my Kimber Montana with 65g H4350 and Fed 215's and nice little groups. I got over 3100 with a snug bolt lift with 65.5g, theres lots of potential in this little dandy rifle. I'd check your chrony or try another.

Quote Originally Posted by turner1978 View Post
    I was getting 2,890 fps with 200 gr accubonds and IMR 7828. My favorite load was with IMR 4831 and 180 gr barnes MRX's at 3,050 fps.
    3050fps/180gn MRX, that's great news.

2890fps/200gn Accubond, WOW. Icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by turner1978 View Post
    I hear a lot of people on other forums saying how much they hate the 300 WSM and how it was a waste and how there 300 win mag is so much better because...Bull crap! I used to have a 300 WSM in a kimber montana. I had two diferent loads for it that shot very tight groups at 300 win mag velocities. Even 200 gr bullets shot right up there with the 300 win mag. I don't have my reloading info available to me at the moment. (sold house and in an apartment temporarily...reloading stuff in storage) I was getting 2,890 fps with 200 gr accubonds and IMR 7828. My favorite load was with IMR 4831 and 180 gr barnes MRX's at 3,050 fps. I don't mean to come across as a 300 win mag hater. One of my favorite rifles is a 300 win mag. But in the end I would probabaly carry my old 300 wsm more often than the longer/heavier win mag. Both are excellent choices and a guy can't go wrong with either.
    What length were your handloads Turner?

I wonder how a 200gn TSX would gel with the OAL/powder space?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast