Thread: First time Halibut fishing advice please

Default First time Halibut fishing advice please

My gf and I visited Alaska last year in mid Sept. for Silvers...had a blast. This year we would like to catch some Halibut. The time we have available to us is the last week in August and the first week in September. We are open to any suggestions you may have for areas to try or people to contact. This will be our first try for Halibut and sure would like to catch some to bring home along with some Rock fish. Of course the big ones intrigue us, but mostly interested in eatin' size for the freezer. If we can work in some fishing for silvers again, that would be great. Right now I'm thinking of fishing at least 3 days for Halibut, with maybe one of those days lost due to bad weather.

What areas do you recommend for our first Halibut trip-Seward, Homer, Whittier??? If you have the names of any specific charters to contact, please pass them along too. If you don't want to post the info here, please send a PM.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. This is a fantastic forum for sharing info on your great state.

Bernie P.

Fishing Seward in August is a good time. If you book a combo charter, you can catch silvers, halibut, ling cod and rock fish all on the same trip. It will save you some money and stretch your arms.

Seward in August seems to be a great fit for what you want. White Bear Charters does a great job. He won't farm you out to a different boat and will work his tail off for you.

Ditto on Yukons post. Great guide and Seward in late august will put you on many different types of fish and fun
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yukon is spot on,, dave from white bear will bust his chops for ya..
    plus Seward is a pretty place..

I've just gotta toss in my usual plug for South East. End of August is a fantastic time to be in Sitka, Elfin Cove, Juneau, etc.

Okay, carry on promoting the higher lattitudes! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now ya know Homer is the Halibut Capital of the World...don't you!?

However Seward is also a great place.
    You may consider basing out of Seward. And then make a day or so to Homer. It's only a few hours away. And the drive is spectacular. In fact you'll have to check out the Russian and the Kenai Rivers. They merge together right next to the highway. It's a great salmon spot depending on when you are there. (But Salmon out of the sea is best!)

Seward may give you the best of both worlds....Just a thought!

Check out this thread for night fishing for Halibut out of Homer (Double Limit!) :
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=23439

Default Kodiak

SE way to crowded and way to many fish restictions.

Homer have to run three hours to fish off the Barrens leaving very little time to actually fish.

Kodiak 30 minute run get to catch two fish any size leaving plenty of time to fish for Kings, Silver, Ling Cod, Rock fish. One down side of Kodiak is the extra cost to fly over..about 300-350 round trip from Anchorage.

Sorry guys had to plug Kodiak.

Talking Thanks for all the info

Guys,

Many thanks for your responses...Keep them coming.

I do appreciate all the suggestions.

Bernie P.

Default Ditto to Shawn...