Thread: Newly Minted resident

Default Newly Minted resident

Dipnetters,
    I have finally passed my 1 year mark and can't wait to start fishing! Can anyone point me in the right direction (or a good source) to learn about dipnetting? A good book? Website - any advice would be great -

Thanks to everyone!

Snowman

Default Dip net 101

Congratulations on your new rewsidency.
    Have you decided where you want to dip net? the methods and equipment are different for different areas.
    One of the best ways to learn is to find someone from work/school/church etc or from this forum who is going and would let you come along, if you are unable to find someone spending a few hours on the beach at Kenai will be a great education and you will find that the people dipping will share with you what works and what doesn't.
    Not sure of any worthwhile publications but this link will take you to the Fish & Wildlife info page.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...pnet%20101.pdf

#1 rule: Cleaning and filleting a lot of salmon takes a lot of time and is a lot of work.
    #2 rule: A lot of salmon weigh alot and is a lot of work to carry.
    #3 rule having a freezer full of salmon all winter is worth #1 & #2
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default dippnet is a lot of work

The first time I went dip netting I though that I would just go and scoop some fish out of the water. I was wrong. It all depend on what the fish are doing, what the tide did two weeks ago and what the commercial opener is like. I have only dip netted on the copper, don't know what the kenai is like. Read the posts on this board. It is about the best information on the net that I have found about dippnetting. I have learned a lot from it. Watch what others are doing. If you have any more questions ask.

You really have to work for the fish. Then refer to the last post.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcleary View Post
    Read the posts on this board. It is about the best information on the net that I have found about dippnetting. I have learned a lot from it. Watch what others are doing. If you have any more questions ask.
    x2 Just about everything I've learned about dipping was right here on the board.

I have done it 2 years now, been in AK 3. It is a blast. I've only done the Kenai. The main thing is to read everything here to get an idea. Maybe go to a seminar at the sportsman show in April. Then just go get your feet wet and watch others.

As said above, it is a good amount of work. Last year out at the mouth of the Kenai the fish were coming in heavy at a low tide. But, lots of mud out there. So I would walk out to the water, which took about 3-5 minutes. I would put my net in. Within 1 minute every single time I would have a fish. Then it would take about 5-7 minutes to get all the way back to where my cooler was. So about 8 - 12 minutes of walking in yucky, sinking mud, for 1 minute of fishing. I did this for about 3 1/2 hours straight. It was a blast, but really hard work. Doing it from a boat might be easier.

Then the real fun begins. We had 19 fish in the cooler when we finally called it a day. Filleted and vaccuum sealed them all - 48 packs total. There were some that were HUGE this past year.

While I have never dipped at the Kenai i have enjoyed many many cold beverages sitting on the beach and watching the craziness. Im telling you I got exhausted just watching. Im sure arms feel like they are going to fall off and man I know how much work it takes to clean 3 to 6 reds I dont even want to think about cleaning 20+. Like the say to each his own and I fish with the old fly rod but do enjoy the show at the kenai when dipnetting starts. Always worth a few hours of sitting and watching.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Use a Boat

Go make friends with someone who has a boat, you have 6 months! I've never dipped from shore, but I dipped the Kenai from a boat for the last 3 years. It's still some work, but not nearly as much as shore dippin' looks. When the fish are in, it's a blast. when they are not in, it's not much fun.

The crowds can be terrible though, took more than 3 hours to get the boat out of the water last year because the line at the dock was so long.

Don't take more than you need, when the fish are in good, it's easy to get greedy! And use a 4-stroke, so you don't pollute the river

dont make friends with Valley Trash - he smells funny

Besides - I take up the balance of the free space in his boat

Default Don't take Cutter Dip Netting

He brings 4 people and one little trout landing net. Try dippin' with five people in the boat and only one real dip net (mine)!

We still got 53 that day anyway, thanks to his daughter and all her doubles.

Dip netting with Cutter is still better than halibut fishing with him though, especially if you have to rely on him harpooning or shooting your big ones. He can't hit a 70-lb. halibut broadside with a harpoon or a gun.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    .....#1 rule: Cleaning and filleting a lot of salmon takes a lot of time and is a lot of work.
    #2 rule: A lot of salmon weigh alot and is a lot of work to carry.
    #3 rule having a freezer full of salmon all winter is worth #1 & #2
    Now that's very true info!

Fifty fish usually takes me a couple of full days/evenings to smoke/can them all, but we'll end up with 30 cases or so of fish in pint jars.

I usually smoke half of them and do the other half in a jalapeno recipe.

I can smoke/can nearly 9 fish (17 filet slabs) per batch.

Wink Just go and have fun...

When the fish are in... it is a kick in the pants...

When the fish aren't in... it is pain in the pants...

When your cleaning/hauling fish... it is a pain in the back....

When its all done... its all good.

Like everyone else has said...read the posts here, then go to your area of choice; Kenai or Chitina and start asking or just watching folks. Everyone has their way of doing things...find the one that works best for you.

Take care and be safe!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Snowman,

You will usually do better in a boat. I have done both Chitina and Kenai, Kenai from the bank and a boat. I still have more fun catching Salmon with a flyrod.

Ken

Default other info available

During the Sportsmen show in Anchorage, there are seminars on dipnetting. The man that runs it goes through B&J commercial, off of Northern lites. I won't mention his name here without his permission but the Sportsmen show will list the times. After the Board of Fisheries meeting next month, I sure do hope we will have access to some fish. There are over 380 proposals on the books to be discussed. Over half of them affect dipnetters and most are not in a good way. If you want a heads up, e-mail Me at Federico@mtaonline.net, I can fill you in. By the way, I started the South-central Alaska dipnetters association @ six months ago. Feel free to call me. Ken Federico 715-8363

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Now that's very true info!

Fifty fish usually takes me a couple of full days/evenings to smoke/can them all, but we'll end up with 30 cases or so of fish in pint jars.

I usually smoke half of them and do the other half in a jalapeno recipe.

I can smoke/can nearly 9 fish (17 filet slabs) per batch.
    Fifty fish? Holy smokes (pun intended), that's a lot of fish. I dipped 18 or 19 last year. They seemed much bigger than the year prior, and ended up with 48 packs of vacuum sealed fillets for meals.

Would love to smoke some up, just haven't taken the time to learn how to do it yet. I have a bullet type smoker. A friend of mine has a big cold smoke box built in his back yard that does pretty well. The only thing he does is soak them in saltwater (heavy salt) for awhile. They are a little salty for me, and I would love to get some great recipes on it.

Man I can't wait to go dippin' again. Such a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    Dip netting with Cutter is still better than halibut fishing with him though, especially if you have to rely on him harpooning or shooting your big ones. He can't hit a 70-lb. halibut broadside with a harpoon or a gun.
    I was just returning the favor thanks to your wonderful effort on attempting to gaff my larger than normal ling cod!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I was just returning the favor thanks to your wonderful effort on attempting to gaff my larger than normal ling cod!!
    Ling Cod? Yah, it seems like I do remember something about you catching one of those. Some of the details are a little fuzzy though, like whether it made the size restictions or not, I can't remember.

if you'd hit the weights a little more often you might have been able to get that point of that gaff through the jaw on that ling that was ~20 inches LONGER than the required size limit if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    if I remember correctly.
    Now I understand why you brought a little landing net instead of a real dip net last July. If that ling cod was 20 inches over the size limit, then that net could have been at least 48-inches across (to your eyes).

It's a good thing that your youngest is more capable of landing a red salmon in a dip net than you and I are of gaffing, harpooning, and shooting salt water fish, or we would have gone hungry this winter.

The point to all this is....Fish with someone who is capable of helping with your catch and brings proper equipment!

Hahahah

That wouldn't be either of us!

Default Smoked Salmon Recipe

Start with 2 1/2 cup salt per every gallon of water used. Brine your skin on filets for 23 min. then rinse quickly in fresh water. Dry with towels or air dry before putting into smoker. They will be perfect, not to salty. To do strips brine for 10 min. only then rinse. Scallops are 10 min also. Its a good place to start, then play with other spices as you get better at it. You can put cajun spice on it before it goes in the smoker. Dont get it to hot or it wont glaze and the fat will cook out of the fish. Hopes this helps you to get started. Enjoy the reds.