Thread: Free Rifle!!!

Default Free Rifle!!!

Well, I guess there is no much thing. However, I did win this Howa 1500 in 300 WSM at the RMEF dinner raffle. So I thought it might like a new Zeiss 3x9x40 conguest for eyes and a new Limbsaver kick pad for me. I have it all ready to go. Going to try the Cushman range next week if the temp get above zero. Don't want to send the time below zero working a new barrel. So has anyone used a Howa. This is my first, the rifle weights 8.5 as is. Plan on using it as a boat gun and a loaner.

Steve

You fooled me, I thought you were giving away a free rifle.

I can dream right?

Wow! Putting a Zeiss on a "loaner" rifle. I like your style. Got anything else I can borrow?

I'll have to see if it is shooter not not first. If it won't shoot straight what good is it even if it is awful purdy LOL.

Steve

I've heard good things about the Howa's. Should be a decent rig.

I really like the feel of it. The action is smooth but the trigger may need some work. I used the Zeiss because I'm going to black bear hunt with it in low light conditions and that is where a Zeiss is worth the money.

Steve

The people at Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River speak very highly of Howa rifles. I had never heard of them, but I got quite the earful when I asked about one.

Congratulations!

Nice freebie, enjoy.

Default Recoil

Anyone speak as to the recoil of the 300 wsm??? I bought a new limbsaver pad that is supposed to help with muzzle jump, it was a grind to fit. I have to say that letting it freeze outside and then sanding it outside made it EZ to shape. Hope it helps with the KICK.

Steve

Howa's are nice rifles. The triggers suck though and I suggest you replace it with a Timney or the such.

Okay so I did some research and it would seem that most folks agree that the triggers are sub par. So I order a new Timney. My free rifle is turning out to be not so free...LOL I guess the stocks could be better as well, at least they gave me a nice action and barrel.

Steve

I've got one of the Howa's in a Hogue over molded stock and it's a real shooter!! Mine's in .243 and is used for a truck gun, but it shoots 3 shot groups at well under an inch at the 100yd mark! Howa may not be a popular name, but they make the actions for the Weatherby Vanguard series of rifles and are also a popular action for building a custom gun. Nice guns though as said before the trigger could use a little work. They're also on the heavy side as already mentioned. Not something I'd want to carry on a sheep or goat hunt, but other than that they're great shooting and great feeling rifles.

I've also got a Howa. Mine's in 338WM. I bought the Howa barrelled action, bought a Hogue O/M stock with the full aluminum bed block, and put the Zeiss Conquest on it. As stated above, the trigger pretty much sucks.

Mine doesn't shoot worth a darn! I'm talking 3"+ groups at 100 yds. I have put about 100 rounds of handloads through it, and I haven't found anything it likes. I like the feel of the action. I like the stock and scope. I just can't get the darn thing to shoot. Right now I am either looking at glass bedding the stock or maybe having the barrel cryo treated.

Good luck with yours. Let us know if you have better luck than I did.

Steve,

I have a wood/blue version in .223 mounted with a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15 AO. I don't reload .223, and the first ammow I tried was the Winchester white box 55 grain soft tips that come 40 per box for around $12. First 3 shot group was a shade under 1" so I stopped looking different load .

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    ....maybe having the barrel cryo treated.
    Save your money. A cryo job won't produce magic results.

Default Hogue Stocks

Was looking at the Hogue fully bedded stocks. Depending on how she shoots might try one of those. With the gun being free, I don't mind spending a few dollars on it. So anyone ever try a Hogue replacement stock????

Steve