Thread: FS Cabin Recommendations/Reviews

Default FS Cabin Recommendations/Reviews

I have been to SE Alaska a few times but have only stayed at the cabin at Lake Eva. I would like to experience some other areas of SE.

I really enjoy catching silvers, so any recommendations of the 'hot spots' for silvers would be great. Basically, I am looking for solitude and some good fishing. I assume the timing would be in Sept some time. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Turner Lake in Juneau is awesome! No silvers, but lots of solitude. You can either get there by the Taku, then hike a mile in, or have a float plane drop you off.

You probably won't see anyone else when you are there.

Default Yakutat / Situk FS Cabin...

Stayed there 2 years ago in late June.....fantastic sockeye fishing!!!! The river is *CRYSTAL CLEAR* and very slow moving. You can see virutally every fish swimming. I understand that they also receive a significant silver run as well....however that gets booked VERY early in the year. First week of September is peak silver season on the Situk.

Although we canoed the length of the river (from the highway bridge), you can also fly in. There is a gravel runway between the eagle and raven cabins. If you choose to canoe in, the cabin is roughly 4 miles (or so) down stream. There is a sign on the shore of the river that indicates you've reached the FS cabin. Be careful though...this place is CHOCK FULL of brown bears....bring a gun!!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JimJimmers View Post
    Stayed there 2 years ago in late June.....fantastic sockeye fishing!!!! The river is *CRYSTAL CLEAR* and very slow moving. You can see virutally every fish swimming. I understand that they also receive a significant silver run as well....however that gets booked VERY early in the year. First week of September is peak silver season on the Situk.

Although we canoed the length of the river (from the highway bridge), you can also fly in. There is a gravel runway between the eagle and raven cabins. If you choose to canoe in, the cabin is roughly 4 miles (or so) down stream. There is a sign on the shore of the river that indicates you've reached the FS cabin. Be careful though...this place is CHOCK FULL of brown bears....bring a gun!!!!
    I also have stayed at the Situk cabins (Ravens) a few times. It is well appointed and has 4 bunks with an oil stove/heater. There is an out house and a shed for dressing game. The best salmon hole on the river is ½ mile above the cabins. There is a good run of Silvers in September but again Jim pegged it the mid to late June Sockeye is killer @ 61,000 fish. Then My favorite early May Steelhead with over 12,000 fish. Oh and lot's of bears, but I've never been bothered by them.

Dave

Lightbulb Castle River Duncan Canal

You might consider Castle River flats cabin in Duncan Canal on Kupreanof island outside Petersburg. Petersburg boasts excellent fishing for halibut and salmon. Last week of August through first half of September should be excellent for Coho. Castle River is one of my favorite places, about 20 miles outside Petersburg, large old growth timber stands line the river and the trail up the river is fairly good for at least 2 miles. There are two cabins within 1.5 miles of eachother and if the coho are running strong a few boaters my stop by to try their luck. September also signals the start of duck hunting and the flats are an excellent place.

I appreciate all of the information, and if you think of anything else to add, it is always welcome.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Default Petersburg Early May

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info about steelhead/cutthroat fishing in early May? Also, will there be any salt water fishing during that time around Duncan Canal? Thinking about staying in the Brieland Slough cabin. Are their other rivers/creeks around in that area other than Castle and Kah Sheets and specifically where they are? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by cnehume View Post
    I appreciate all of the information, and if you think of anything else to add, it is always welcome.

Thanks Again,

Chris

There's a new cabin on Shelter Island in Hand Troller's Cove... The solitude is a bit lacking at times, but you can out-fish the charter boats from the rocks in front of the cabin during the right silver runs...

It's not an FS Cabin, but you can now arrange stays on 5-Finger light house and fish halibut from the rocks or a skiff. Not much opportunity for hiking... the island is only a few hundred yards, but it's one of my favorite places to hide from the world.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]