Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B@C or not

Default B@C or not

Here's a question that i know the answer too,i guess i would like to hear what you guys and gals think.....If you live in a subsistance area or a place that is restricted to people that live outside a boundary and you take a B@C animal are you allowed to enter it in the book???????thanks for your time....

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default Its about the animals

I really don't see why not. If they are allowed to range freely from the subistance or restricted area freely into areas open to everyone I have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with would be those that basically farm large animals that are fenced in and no chance for anyone other than who the land owner decides can hunt it. That my friend is not fair chase.

How ridiculous would it be if you shot a huge animal on your property or someone else's be it native land or what not and it wouldn't count because it was not on state land open for everyone to hunt. B&C is more about keeping records of huge free roaming animals and are less concerned with who is allowed to hunt them. I believe this is the way it should be. If a guy buys the gov. permit and gets a new world's record it should count. Just because he's the only one that is able to hunt that particular animal shouldn't detract from just how big that animal is.

Honestly, no. I dont think it should.

Reason?

It's subsistence. The hunt is not open via otc, registration, or draw to everyone in general, or even everyone in the state, instead pertaining to a minority of people as preferentual treatment because they choose to live in a remote area. Some of these I'd class as "remote". The term subsistence to me leave something to be desired, which I'll save for another thread someday.

But I'll be down to earth about it. I have a handful of animals that would go P&Y, one was green scored just out of curiosity, and that's all any of them will ever be. Memorys of my past hunts that I'll choose to share with a few if they are so inclined to listen to them. The record books were not set up to glorify a big animal, more so, atleast with the P&Y records were set up to prove bowhunting and bowhunters were a viable tool to be used by fish and game, and to general public. This is not the case anymore where people are too wrapped up in numbers....Ego stroking. Hey if it's for you great.....it aint for me. I like to hunt big animals as much as the next guy. I have passed on smaller animals opting for a bigger animal so yup, that would make me a trophy hunter to some degree too. But I dont need to see my name in lights or yours to glorify us hunters. And I dont shun people for shooting does, or cows, or small bulls, they are just as much of a trophy as any monster! I do however not like the idea of shooting calves or fawns...again another topic all together.

What are the B@C rules,we all know that a great animal is a great animal no matter where you shoot it,just wanting to know if B@C would take the animal into the book knowing it was shot in a restricted area????

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default I know they do for federal subsistance.

A couple rams that are in there where shot in the federal subsistance area in the Wrangells.

Default Glorifying Animals

Pope & Young may not have been set up to "glorify" animals, but Boone and Crockett was. They were not set up to glorify hunters. That's why you will find animals listed in the books that were found dead, road killed, etc.

" Quote from Tradbow: The hunt is not open via otc, registration, or draw to everyone in general, or even everyone in the state, instead pertaining to a minority of people as preferentual treatment because they choose to live in a remote area"

I respectfully disagree. If you use this logic then any animal taken on private property where a guide has exclusive rights or the property owner restricts access should also be excluded. Not everyone will have access, those with lots of money will have the only access. It is not available to the general hunting population. As already been said, if the animal was taken "fair chase" then it should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    What are the B@C rules,we all know that a great animal is a great animal no matter where you shoot it,just wanting to know if B@C would take the animal into the book knowing it was shot in a restricted area????
    This is from the B&C Website stated on the entry affidavit for all hunter-taken trophies:

For the purpose of entry into the Boone and Crockett Club’s® records, North American big game harvested by the use of the following methods or under the following conditions are ineligible:

I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the purpose of pursuit and shooting;

II. Herding or chasing with the aid of any motorized equipment;

III. Use of electronic communication devices to guide hunters to game, artificial lighting, electronic light intensifying devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-finding capabilities, thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information to the hunter;

IV. Confined by artificial barriers, including escape-proof fenced

VI. By the use of traps or pharmaceuticals;enclosures;

V. Transplanted for the purpose of commercial shooting;

VII. While swimming, helpless in deep snow, or helpless in any other natural or artificial medium;

VIII. On another hunter’s license;

IX. Not in full compliance with the game laws or regulations of the federal government or of any state, province, territory, or tribal council on reservations or tribal lands;

So basically, if it falls under these guidelines, then yes, it isn't going to be declined from the book...

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    But I'll be down to earth about it. I have a handful of animals that would go P&Y, one was green scored just out of curiosity, and that's all any of them will ever be. Memorys of my past hunts that I'll choose to share with a few if they are so inclined to listen to them...
    Agree 100%

Default Does that mean....?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post

I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the purpose of pursuit and shooting;
    This seems like it would eliminate a lot of fly-in hunts or hunts where the person previously flew over the area ahead of time. It seems to say that if you did any spotting from the air, then followed up by landing nearby and pursuing the animal, it would not be elegible.

Default fly-in hunts ok

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    This seems like it would eliminate a lot of fly-in hunts or hunts where the person previously flew over the area ahead of time. It seems to say that if you did any spotting from the air, then followed up by landing nearby and pursuing the animal, it would not be elegible.
    I think that Alaska's ban on same-day hunts gets around this point, since you are not immediately pursuing and shooting the game after you land. I think that the B&C exclusions are intended to promote fair chase of game. Of course the B&C is a club and they can set whatever rules they want for those who want to join their club.

Default substance and B & C

I live in a substance use area (unit 23) and I canít see where living up here should or could exclude me from having subsistence animal scored for B & C records. I agree that I have an advantage on species like sheep but it is still very much fair chase hunting and the animals we hunt in NW Alaska are as eligible as any that are taken in the Chugach or elsewhere. I donít understand why some feel it is unfair. With that mind set much of Bush Alaska would be removed from consideration, and what would be the purpose?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Yes you can

B&C does allow trophies entered that have been taken leagle on a subsistence hunt. That is a hunt that is open only to one user group.

No difference in that and an animal taken in a resident only draw (like several western states have). These draws restrict certain user groups just like the subsistence hunts in AK.

Default Ok

But if I am a resident of unit 23 and am hunting the same area (squirrel, floating the Kug/Kelly, upper Noatak, upper Kobuk)during the same time as people who don't reside in unit 23; they can enter their moose, 'bou, bear, sheep, etc but I am not able to???

I never have had anything scored and don't really plan on it. But it seems a little strange if what muskeg said is correct. If that's correct, no skin off my teeth, but others may have an issue with it.
    Last edited by rugger; 01-09-2008 at 11:34. Reason: forgot something

I'm pretty sure i saw somewhere that it had to be open to all,not just the local residents?????

I'm pretty sure Johnnie is correct. I've been looking for the info since I saw thgis thread earlier today, but of course can't find it. I was thinking it has to do with being a federal subsistence hunt though.

Default I know of

I know of an entry that is near the top of the Sitka Blacktail list that was taken during the July subsistence hunt. That hunt is only open to rural residents of unit 1,2 and 3. There is no St of Ak season at that time. It is a Fed regulated hunt on Fed land under Fed permit for a select few hunters.

B&C has no problem with the entry as it was taken leagley.

Like I said there is no difference in that .... than taking an Antelope in California. That is a resident only draw and no non-California resident can get one of those tags.

So what i'm hearing is if i lived in a area which i could legally hunt wrangell st elias national park which has been closed since the carter adminstration and kill a 187 pt ram i'm legal to put him in the book...... I don't think so...

Talk to B&C ... they accept subsistence hunted animals.

Default Sheep man

I guess it is time to move to Gakona and take one of thoes big sheep. You choose to live in the Valley, If B&C has no issue with a sheep taken fairly why should anyone else?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default B&C ?

I know of a great sitka blacktail that was taken on a subsistence hunt that doesn't qualify for B&C since it was taken by proxy.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast