Thread: smoothbores

Default smoothbores

Thought I would share pics of my 62 cal. smoothbore, any other smoothbore shooters out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dandy! Best of all, it's a leftie. What are the details?

I shot a double 12 caplock for years, but sadly let it go when steel shot requirements finally landed in Alaska. It was my primary gun for hares over dogs and ptarmigan, and I used it almost exclusively for ducks for a couple of years.

I've been shooting a couple that belong to friends this last year. One is a GRRW 62 trade gun that's been around for a lot of years and the second one resembles yours quite a bit. The owner of that one is in the final stages of building a 72 with interchangeable smooth and rifled barrels. He's as anxious as an expectant father to cuddle the finished gun.

I was planning on building a leftie fowler this winter, but scheduling conflicts interrupted. Did you build yours?

Default Nice!

I'm not a smooth bore owner, but I appreciate all sort of fine guns. That's a great looking gun and some beautiful wood. What kind of wood is it?

Default nice

Great looking pole, TC1.

Its a lefty too, yum. Me likes!

Here's my SxS percussion 12 gauge. It has chrome-lined barrels so I can shoot steel shot as well. Many fond memories of pheasants flushing from cattails on a cold December day in South Dakota and a cloud of black powder and a few feathers drifting in the wind
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good stuff TC....I'd love to see it sometime if you dont mind.

I also have a trio of smoothies. Alas my pedersoli 10ga sxs (dixie gun works version) is in Mn right now. Has shot turkeys and some pheasants as of last year, was my first year with it.

And building a pair of 10ga flintlock fowlers...they are in pieces right now, still waiting on one of the two barrels.

Next winter it'll hopefully be a pair of double flint sxs 12 ga's.

Default Nice

That is a nice looking rock-chipper !! I'm a righty but a musket like that makes me want to take it off the mantel and go shoot a rabbit or two.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up

Nice smoothbore TC. I don't have one yet but shore would like to get one sometime soon.

BWM
    "Spirituality is the ultimate survival skill. When one is primarily on a spiritual quest, the desire for material objects is effectively lessened. This can make an enormous difference to us in the coming trials since we stand a big chance of losing many of our goodies. We will be in states of shock and anguish. Yet if we learn to not mind losing them, there is no loss. Material goods are to Americans as alcohol is to a drunk. In both cases, losing the craving is a benefit." Mike Oehler

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791"

Default smoothbore

Thanks for the replies, It's a Jackie Brown fowler with curley maple wood and iron accessories. I decided to go with the poormans gun as this was what most backwoodsman and Natives carried because the rifles were to expensive plus it's easier to load and clean plus I can shoot shot or balls if need be. I was actually surprised at the accuracy of the smoothbore and could easily put a ball in a paperplate at 75 yds., I hunted deer with it back home, it always dropped them on the spot. I haven't shot it since moving to Alaska as it seems blackpowder is hard to come by but I've been thinking about using it for rabbits and birds. If there's any other frontstuffers around Fairbanks maybe we could get together and do some shooting.....................

Since you're in Fairbanks these folks in Two Rivers are reportedly a source of black powder and good to deal with besides. That's all secondhand, but from reliable sources.

I was also looking for BP now that I noticed the other day sportsmens isnt carrying anything other then pellets...

Aint progress grand......

If you're looking for real black powder in Anchorage, try Great Northern Guns. He carries Fg, FFg, FFFg, and FFFFg Goex. I keep telling myself I should stock up and buy more than 1 pound off of him before he stops carrying it and I'm without a source.

Hey TradBow-

I think you will get all charged up by this thread over at the ALR forum. Great technical stuff on flinter doubles, market discussion, and pics that will have slobber drooling out both sides of your mouth!

Edit-------
    Well drat. I just checked my link and it only takes you to the forum index. Open the Gun Building section, then the thread on flinter doubles.

link didnt work...took me to the main forum page.

Yeah. From there, click on the Gun Building Section. In there click on the thread titled something like Flinter Doubles. There's good stuff waiting for you!

yup saw that one lol.....and yup, drewled over the one photo.

got a book with a bunch of sweet double flinter photo's...good stuff!