Thread: Underwater Cameras

Default Underwater Cameras

I was wondering if anyone has experimeted with any of the underwater cameras now available. I would like to be able to record the footage also but beyond that I am not to familiar with any other options. Thinking about purchasing one so looking for any input someone might have. Thanks

I Have a aqua-vu spool sieries. It does not really work if you are fishing deep or in water with poor visability. The depth you can use it depends on water clarity. However when you can use it, it is alot of fun and you can watch and lear alot about what the fish are doing and the size of fish if you are having action but not seeming to land them. I use my vexilar alot more than my camera but if you are fishing real shallow less than like 6 feet I use just the camera normally because it will tell you alot more than the flasher. deeper than that I always use the flasher and sometimes both. The camera is a very fun thing to have but I would not feel like im fishing blind without it like i do without my vexilar.

Default camera

I have one of the aqua view's as well and light can be a problem. However, I bought a neon green fish light out of cabelas and actually tie it onto the bottom of the camera and it helps a lot, I bought the one with 100' of heavier duty cable and I actually have watched halibut take bait in 90 feet of water, and watched greenling and other rock fish hangin out on the bottom. Pretty dang neat. I have the DVR too, BUT have never tried it out yet lol. It's supposed to be able to record 15 minutes worth but I was told, can't say for certain, but told you could buy a bigger memory card for it to improve on that. One problem I really have with the unit is the cable storage, or lack of, it's a pain in the arse to wrap it on top of the unit around their two little plastic legs. Especially if you have all 100' feet out like I have done. Some kind of actual spool would make it much more user friendly. Seriously, to the point where I haven't thrown it in the water because "**** I don't want to have to mess with it" kind of thing. All in all, pretty neat gizmo, would I buy it again? maybe... I'd say unless you're REALLY into it, studying bottom, structure, fish behavior...save your money and put it towards a better fish finder. Or heck, I could sell you mine haha. luck

Default Depth Limitations

I'm not an electronics guy so I'll ask what might be a dumb question. Can you attach a longer cable to these cameras? The spot I normally fish for halibut is at about 250' but I don't see any cameras that go that far down. What's the fix?

Check this camera out ..I just bought 2 after doing some intense searching for a camera I could film salmon while fishing and while airboating whithout the bounce as most cameras have and the expense. And its good up to 100 ft deeper the Talkeetna river.... I do not know what you plan on doing with it .

You want the Hero 3

http://www.goprocamera.com/
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default This will get you as deep as you can afford to go

Check out http://www.seaviewer.com/

Note that the address is different then the sea view one posted above. I use this camera for work and it is nearly bomb-proof. I smashed the heck out of it this past summer on large cobble/boulder in the Bering Strait just offshore of Diomede and it didn't hurt a thing because the lens is recessed. I use the sea drop version (their other version is meant for trolling, primarily for marlin, swordfish, etc). The sea drop version has a removable tail. It's removable because it comes with a bracket that could be attached to a handle if you wanted to look a certain direction in shallow water (i.e. under your boat or for something shallow of a dock). Being a drop camera, you cannot control the direct it faces under water if you're not moving. The camera will either orient where it "wants" to go or will orient into the current or in the direction of your drift. The only way to get it to look where you want it to is to use it in very shallow water with the handle or you need to spend thousands of dollars for a ROV (remotely operated vehicle).

The seaviewer can be used to 1,000 feet, but that length of cable will be a pain to store and cost a fortune. I have 300' on the one at work which is god for getting down to maybe 220' because of the scope induced in the line at depth. I do put up about a 4lb halibut sinker on the bottom of camera in certain situations (rig the sinker sacrificially so you only lose it and not the camera of you snag the sinker).

I view and record the image onto a digital video recorder (a special one that flips analog to digital) and have the GPS overlay box set up so I record the needed info onto the video for later analysis. This is probably way more than you need. A simple DC powered TV will work if you just want to see the bottom. Even easier, if you have a Garmin 3210 or equivalent (that's what I have on my boat) you can use the video adapter cable and view the bottom right on your LCD display at the helm and power the camera off a 12v adapter. Other plotters probably can do the same.

You can't add on more cable. You have to order the length you want from the factory. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for...