Thread: 300 mag accuracy?

Question 300 mag accuracy?

Years ago, gun writer Bob Hagel made the statement that he has never seen a single example of a 180 gr., 30 cal. bullet fired at over 3150fps that was MOA accurate, regardless of make or brand. If this was true then, would it still have any merit today?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Back then ?, now: way wrong.

I have never loaded my 300 win mag so hot with a 180 gr. But, I believe powders have been developed since that time (RE 22, RE25, IMR 7878, etc.), that are slow enough now as not to bring pressures above a level that would tend to decrease uniformity and still get this high velocity. I'll be interested in posts that speak of actual experiences to validate my speculation.

I have a Ruger and Winchester in 300 win mag. and neither is worth a darn when 180 gr bullets are fired over 3100 fps from a bench. If backed down they will shoot very tight. It could be me or the rifles or the bullets????

I have a Shilen match barrel on a 700 Remigton that will shoot 1" grps at 300 yards. But vel is about 3050. I was super happy with this and have not tried to get more. J.

One of my lightest sheep rifles with #3 24" tube is most accurate with 180 gr Barnes TSX and RL 22 ironically at 3150 fps for 5 shot groups at 100 yds < 1" to one ragged hole. It shoots even better with Barnes TSX 168 gr at 3200 to 3250 fps. Once I find an "optimal combination" for a rifle whenever I have to change powder lots I will reload the new powder lot to the same vel as the old lot. My #1 go to sheep rifle shoots 180 Barnes XLC's most accurately at 3200 fps while the 180 gr. TSX are happiest at 3250 to 3300 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Years ago, gun writer Bob Hagel made the statement that he has never seen a single example of a 180 gr., 30 cal. bullet fired at over 3150fps that was MOA accurate, regardless of make or brand. If this was true then, would it still have any merit today?
    If Mr. Hagel is still around, I would like to show him my Rem. 700 in .300 Win. Mag. with sub-MOA accuracy. At 100 yards I can routinely put two bullets through the same hole. At 300 yards I can shoot three round clovers. I use factory Winchester Silver Tips and Rem. Core-Lokts. No mods, no gunsmithing, just a great factory rifle. This performance is typical and many Remington 700 owners have the same experience. I don't know the actual velocities because I never chronographed it but the muzzle velocities are right at 3,000 according to the ammo manufacturers. For me, 2,800 FPS or 3,000 FPS or 3,200 FPS, I don't care because I get dead animals either way.

I am by no means an authority or expert on reloading the 300 Win Mag, but I have some experience utilizing this cartridge in various personal sporting arms and professional weapons. All of these rifles were custom-builds on trued Remington actions with heavy matchgrade barrels. I progressed as far as I possibly could into precision reloading practices with this cartridge in the serious pursuit of improving these rifles' accuracy. With this cartridge in these rifles I have shot .25 groups of 5 @ 100 yds and 10-shot 10 ring @1000yds. My absolute minimum acceptable standard for accuracy is MOA in any of these rifles, whatever the application. I have experimented with many bullet weight/powder combinations to establish what provides the best performance. Taking into consideration that the majority of my workups have been with 190gr; I will reference my limited load data for 180gr conclusions.

Comparing Mr. Hagel's statement to my experience; I believe he isn't too far off the mark. I will generalize that overall, I have found that in the 1/2 a dozen different 300 Win Mag rifles I've worked with, for best accuracy throwing a 180gr pill out of a 26" barrel, max velocity will usually be just over 3100fps and a little slower in 24" barrels. Alledged accuracy and extreme velocity claims much above this are usually the result of the shooter being ignorant of the actual velocity or disrespecting reasonable pressure limitations and being willing to discard brass after a couple of firings. I won't say that moa is not achievable above 3150fps; I am confident that with 180gr bullets your best accuracy can be found somewhat below and with some combinations even on the lower end of the scale depending on a lot of factors. As always, your results may vary.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII