Thread: Nail Clipping

Default Nail Clipping

Does anyone have any good ways of getting a dog to let them clip their nails. My lab is used to me touching his paws from putting booties on but as soon as I break out the clipper he freaks. I have heard of people using benedryl to relax them but dont want to experiment. I have ran the heck out of him to get him tired but still the same story when I break out the clippers. Anyone with any good ideas ??? Thanks in advance..

Default That sounds like fun!

Hey if the dog freaks when he see's the clippers then start placing them in his view. Put it next to food bowl. So it to him at times he will be side tracked. Mabey he will just realize they wont hurt him. If it's cause you cut one of his nails to far back , then thats another problem.

Good Luck
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I have had the clippers laying around before for him to recognize them and I also have not clipped any nail to far, its just that he knows when I break out the clippers and gets so hyper and doesnt let me clip them...

Default Dremel

I gave up on clippers a while ago for the nail too short problem. I use a dremel on a nice slow setting with a sandpaper drum. My girlfriend holds the dog and pets their belly and I casually grind their nails. Works pretty good for me and no more bloody peeoff dogs running around afterwards. I only have to do it in the winter time, in the summer they seem to wear off on their own.

BTS,
    Assocoiate the clippers with the dog treats.

We make a huge deal of rewarding the dogs when we successfully trim each paw. Dog treats and praise--with each foot. Keep the clippers in the same hand while giving the treats.
    Our male is to the point that he views trim time as fun time.
    Our younger female is less enthusiastic, but getting better. It takes some time (months) but it works.

Let the wife do it. That's what I do...........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Practice makes perfect

You have to de-sensitize him. Your dog has a negative feeling toward the motions that mean I'm going to get trimmed. It is simply a mental battle. Make him familiar with the motions in gradual steps.
    It is the same as the dog that doesn't like to get a bath. They aren't afraid of the bath or the nail trimming. It is the battle to get them to that point that they remember. After that the motions of pulling out the clippers or starting the bath water is all that is needed to trigger the flight response.
    Break down the routine. Better said is to "simplify" what your long term goal is. Get him used to laying calmly. Then handle his feet to include the toes. Then handle his feet with the trimmers in sight. Then handle his feet with trimmers touching toes but not cutting. Next session handle his toes while actuating the clipper without cutting nails. Next session clip just the very outer part of the nail. Next lesson trim in just a bit more. And etc. This is simply breaking down the task instead of forcing it all on the dog at one time. They learn to handle it better when they get to experience it in a slower pace. There is a build up of trust.
    Be patient and don't get upset. It doesn't help at all if you're not calm. This may take a couple of days or weeks. Just depends on the dog.

Default position

What position is he in when putting on booties? What position is he in when trimming his nails? If you have him on his back to do nails, many dogs fight that position based on it causes them to be submissive. If they fight free, they learn that they do not have to be submissive. Are you sure it is a clipper/toenail issue and not a position problem?

I take mine to Chewy's dog wash in Eagle River, best $7 I could spend!

I used to have a problem as well. I noticed the vet never had a problem though when they were up on the examining table, so I started putting mine up on a table and holding an arm around them and it seems to work fine. If I try to do them on the ground, I'll get one and they'll take off.

Talking

wow, i did not realize how fortunate i am with my yellow lab. he totally trusts me. so far (he is 11 months old) nail trimming has not been a problem. i am not a fool in that i wait until it is near his bedtime and he is laying around lazily before i trim his nails. the first nail i ever trimmed on him i failed to engage the "depth limiter" on the manual clipper, he jerked as i clipped, and i accidentally trimmed too deep and drew a fair amount of blood. but, he forgave me by the next night and trimming has not been a problem.

he even steps into the bathtub at his bath time once every week or so, albeit somewhat grudgingly