Thread: Anchor Bag

Default Anchor Bag

Hi Guys
    I'm trying to cut my weight down on fly in trips, but still like to have some sort of anchor system for securing the raft and for drift fishing. I was thinking of a bag that I could fill with rocks and have it attached to the anchor rope. My raft is 12 footer and would have two guys with camping / fishing equipment in it. Any ideas????

Thanks
    Walt

I would think that a bag filled with rocks, would quickly get a hole rubbed in it. I would take some heavy duty cargo net. You could fill it with rocks and maybe even fashion a cross out of spruce and wrap the net around it and then fill it with rocks. Tie on a rope and there you go.

Steve

Default Anchor Bag

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I would think that a bag filled with rocks, would quickly get a hole rubbed in it. I would take some heavy duty cargo net. You could fill it with rocks and maybe even fashion a cross out of spruce and wrap the net around it and then fill it with rocks. Tie on a rope and there you go.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I found a strong Poly mesh material that I can make a bag out of. My wife explained to me how to make a bag that would be both strong and ware well when being dragged on the river bottom. I probably have to repair it once in a while, but planned to order the material today and give it a try this spring.

Walt

Default profess sew

I used a standard PVC dry bag once when my anchor would not hold even one iota in some round gravel. We used it for several days in a cove, very little wind, but the normal tide currents. I have since found, and used, some kind of plastic-mesh material bag for several days, too. If I had to make one, I'd have AK Tent sew it w/ some seriously heavy thread, and have some kind of "mechanical" way to lock your rope to the bad, not just rely on a good knot around the bag. If you don't drag the bag for speed control, you should be fine for a long time. All that said, also run a small rope from the raft to camp at night, just for kicks and giggles. Good luck, too.

Default Cable Mesh Anchor

When I rented a raft this summer from Alaska Raft and Kayak they included a anchor bag made of cable mesh. You fill it with rocks once on the river. It isn't intended to stop your raft in the middle of the current, but slow it down or hold it in place in coves and such. The mesh size is too large on theirs in my opinion, all but the largest rocks worked their way out during the float. We had to refill it each morning before we took off. It also hung low enough it would hit on the rocks we straddled in our cat. On the Gulkana it wasn't really an issue, but if you were in serious water I wouldn't want the anchor getting caught on any rocks.

Woody

Lightbulb Use seat belt webbing

Take seat belt webbing and construct a mesh bag... seat belt is certainly strong enough to save lives in your car as well as plenty strong and abrasion resitant to serve as your fly-in raft trip anchor.

check out Nomar in Homer, they make some tuff bags we use for commercial fishing (brailer bags). They could make you a smaller version. If you could find some spectra webbing like they use in trawl nets it would most likely last forever. Try LFS trawl in seattle they might have some scraps laying around.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Smile Anchor Bag

Thanks guys for the great ideas. I spoke with the wife about the seat belt construction and she doesn't see a problem with making one on her sewing machine. I did check out the material down in the Seattle area, but they wanted a small fortune to ship it to Alaska. Plan to stop by B&J next week and look at their netting material. Will also stop by AK rafting.
    But, "Thanks again" you all have been super with the ideas.

Walt

I think anything you find on town will either be nylon or poly and they won't last very long dragging on the bottom.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default AK raft and kayak

I think I remember Alaska Raft and Kayak having a portable anchor that you fill with rocks or sand.