Thread: Dog shoots and kills goose hunter

Default Dog shoots and kills goose hunter

Not sure what more to say about this, other than remembering your basic gun safety rules. Just go read the story...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320926,00.html
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Not sure what more to say about this, other than remembering your basic gun safety rules. Just go read the story...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320926,00.html
    Weeding out the gene pool....
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

So I wonder if they ever recovered the goose.

Default Post this in ADN

...and maybe everyone who is ripping on Jake about his beauty of a bear will turn their scopes south for not recovering that goose...
    Last edited by AKArcher; 01-09-2008 at 23:59. Reason: typo
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Same thing here

same thing happened in Interior Alaska years ago. A friend loaned some guys a lab for a duck hunt. Somehow the dog knocked over a shotgun and one of the men got shot, but not killed. The dogs name was Budweiser. Wonder if they had any others in the boat?

Its pathetic that the only replies on this post are making fun of a man who lost his life doing something he loved just like many of us. Its pretty pathetic that the replies are not on gun saftey practice or safer practices when in these situations. Mocking some one that has lost their life for something we all have made the mastake of doing, and if you say you havn't I think your full of it. Just because your and my mistake were not fatal doesnt gives you the right to mock this man. I hope you guys dont actually live the way your actions potrayed you on this post because if you do then its people like you that make us look bad.

sincerely
    texhunter

Quote Originally Posted by texhunter View Post
    I hope you guys dont actually live the way your actions potrayed you on this post because if you do then its people like you that make us look bad.

sincerely
    texhunter
    OK Tex,

So your not guilty of mocking a man? I'd call you out on the carpet on this one.....We are all guilty of it in some form or another.

I am sorry for his families loss...I truely am! He was ultimately reponsible for his and parters saftey and vs., it sounded that he was a seasoned hunter and knew the dangers that come with firearms. Personally, if that happened to me...I would rather it happened to me; than myself being responsible for some elses death from my own carelessness.

So sorry....When I'm at the JMC later today on Eielson you can come by and scorn me.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Whoa...

Quote Originally Posted by texhunter View Post
    Its pathetic that the only replies on this post are making fun of a man who lost his life doing something he loved just like many of us.
    Tex...

I only see one small comment that maybe considered making fun, and akmoosehunter apologized for that.

My comment was in response to the "did they get the goose"...I highly doubt bowtechshooter REALLY thought they went out after the goose...and if they didn't they are HORRIBLE. All things considered....I would have left the it and let a coyote or something else eat that goose...just like the bear meat in BRWNBR's hunt/uproar.

No one is mocking this horrible accident. My and I think bowtech's response were in regards to the way people outside of our group respond to killing animals and not retrieving/recovering to eat.

I have nothing against Texan's...only Texas itself....and I will tell you why.

Houston in July/Aug...my only experience...and you couldn't pay me enough to go back. I know...not all Texas is like that...just like all Alaska isn't like Los Anchorage.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

You know I am not going to ever apologize unless I am wrong in something I am not sure about and even then I would not say anything at all. In this case yes it sucks that this happened and could happen to anyone of us. I would really like to know if the goose was recovered, if this happened here in AK im sure someone would have been sitting on a ticket for wanton waste. Oh and by the way if you dont like replies that members put on here then dont reply to them without realizing the snowball effect youre going to create. I think I will email Fox news to do a follow up story so I can get an answer on the goose.

Texhunter,
    Can you please shed some light on the gun safety procedures that I think you were trying to get to but were distracted trying to make us feel like we were wrong for what we said or were you also wondering about the goose being recovered......After all your post was about gun safety right....

Rule #1.... "never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy"

i.e. don't point the gun at yourself while putting it down.

The other mistake was not putting the safety back on as soon as he was done shooting. But this was covered at the end of the news story also.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the explanation of your posts. Yea I am sure I have mocked someone before but i garuntee he wasnt dead. As for the recovery of the bird, if thats all it was I appologize, but it didnt seem that way due to the nature of the replies. All i was saying is that mocking someone thats dead for a mastake we have all have made is pathetic. bowtech, no my post had nothing to do with gun saftey, it had everything to do with making fun of a person who had lost his life. I was suggesting ways NOT to moch a dead person, and if your so interested in the goose why dont you call fox news and get a story. Like i said if you were really interested in the goose then i appologize but it didnt seem like it. It seemed everyone was sitting back in the chair laughing at a guy who lost his life doing what he loved and from a mistake we have all made.

texhunter

Texhunter,
    OK enough getting on each other about this post. First of all we all have not made this same mistake or we would not be here today enjoying this forum but I am sure we have all made mistakes that could have been to a certain extent fatal. I can say for myself I have made a mistake as a very young hunter just starting out deer hunting in Pennsylvania. Walking through the woods carrying a 30-06 rifle at the ready position I had the safety slip off and accidently pulled the trigger sending the round about an inch from my left foot. Since that eye opening experience I make sure that type of thing never happens again. I like everyone other duck hunter have placed my shotgun in the blind loaded and unattended but have took the extra step to check the gun to make sure the safety is on and not positioned somewhere that if knocked over could injure myself or someone else. You could ask anyone of my hunting partners the first thing I do is preach to them on weapon safety before going hunting and also again when at the hunting spot. Today I am twice as bad preaching to my hunting partners about safety when my dog is around. Remember if you get complaicent you will get killed, I will let birds fly over just to make sure my weapon is on safe and in a safe position. In this case like I said it is very unfortunate that he lost his life but you have to realize that if you dont take the extra time to dot your I's and cross your T's when it comes to things that can kill you then you better be prepared for the repercussions

bowtech
    I agree with you 100%. I also preach to everyone I take out in the blind, especially when I have my dogs because I am the only one with dogs. I take alot of older guys out as well as younger guys, and they always give me crap for preaching gun saftey, because "I am only 24 and they have been hunting longer than I have been alive" but I keep preaching it because of situations just like this. It just erked me a little because the post seemed disrespectful, no harm no fowl. I hope everyone had a great season, I sure did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Joat

I think that is rule number two...but point well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MyKC395 View Post
    I think that is rule number two...but point well taken.
    Yes, it is rule #2... but for whatever silly reason they put those two keys right next to each other on this darn keyboard

All 4 of the general safety rules should apply at all times...

1- All guns are always loaded
    2- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
    3- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you are ready to fire
    4- Be sure of the target, as well as the surroundings and beyond

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Happens to Pheasant Hunters too

A man this season in the midwest leaned his shotgun on a fence and as he was climbing over his dog pulled the trigger and the man was shot in the leg, non fatally. This kind of thing happens... and maybe too many people don't follow a rule I learned when I was younger that you clear the chamber before handing a gun to someone else or handing it through a fence. I guess leaning it on the fence ain't the same thing but pretty similar. The story I'm referring to they were pheasant hunting, either in South Dakota or Iowa... not sure. Scary thought though, I have been in situations that weren't perfectly safe, but I have learned from my experiences that you don't realize it until it could be too late. So be safe all the time, not just when its convenient.

Default YUP!

Sounds like a couple of us learned the same things. It only takes a moment of forgetfulness to make these tragedies happen. Always sorry to hear about these unfortunate instances.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yes, it is rule #2... but for whatever silly reason they put those two keys right next to each other on this darn keyboard

All 4 of the general safety rules should apply at all times...

1- All guns are always loaded
    2- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
    3- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you are ready to fire
    4- Be sure of the target, as well as the surroundings and beyond