Thread: Here is where I get them rabbits

Default Here is where I get them rabbits

I got a P -mail the other day telling me not to tell people on the forum were I finde good rabbit hunting spots . This drives me up the wall, I've lived here all my life and think that helping people out is whet makes Alaska a great place to live. The funney thing is that this person would not have known where to go if he hadent read my last post. So here we go. I went to mile 117 of the Glenn this weekend January 5 the weather was cool -7. But, the Rabbit tracks were evrey were I onley got 2 missed 8 and couldnt weing a ruffed grouse. Whet can I say Some times your on and some time you miss, this was my day to miss. I saw a big hawk I think that it was makeing the rabbits scidish. I dont know if the person that mailed me knows but rabbit populations run in a seven year sical If we dont get them this year there wont be any next year regardless of the hunting prusher, so have at it. Take a kid, great fun.
    http://daveoutsideinalaska.blogspot.com/

PS I think the guy was being sarcastic

Thanks alot. Sharing our experiences and areas are one of the only ways to keep our hobbies and lifestyles alive for generations. This is a great way to share them with others. If you can't take a kid, take a friend who might not have experienced the joys of hunting otherwise. Maybe they will pass it on to someone else. There are plenty of animals out there for everyone.

On the misses Dave, every animal I miss I say the same thing. "Some of them have to get away." It wouldn't be as fun otherwise.

Fish

Default old hwy

Dave,
    Is that the old hwy across from the majestic lodge? Didn't make it down there last winter, but did the previous three. Always a few hares around there but like you said pack the snowshoes & its a workout.
    3yrs ago we found some ptarmigan there & have hopes of finding some again everytime we have returned but never have, not sure why.
    Let me know if you get down there again soon, & how it was.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a place to teach my son the art of rabbit hunting.

Doug

that's the spot right across from the lodge I used to see lots ptarmagin there but the last two I havent seen a one but I have got sevral ruffed grouse usely see one or two a trip good luck this is the year for the kids took my son a few weeks he got a few

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I got a P -mail the other day telling me not to tell people on the forum were I finde good rabbit hunting spots . This drives me up the wall, I've lived here all my life and think that helping people out is whet makes Alaska a great place to live.
    There will always be those that hate it when others give out information. What is funny is those very same people are browsing these forums to get the information you share. When you give up some info they already knew about they complain because they want the info to stop with them. This post reminds me of the Talkeetna thread a few months back.....All I can say is Thanks for sharing and ignore the idiots....

yeah, I've encounted this reluctance to share hunting spots (even vaguely) in many states I've lived in. However, AK hunters seem to be more close-mouthed than others. It kinda annoying trying to find new hunting spots in a new place.

I can see why people do it, and I don't really blame them too much, but its still annoys me. Its rabbits and grouse......not moose, bear, caribou, etc. course I still have not been big game hunting up here in my 5 years of residency....most of my friends are UAA students and not prone to "murdering" animals lol. silly hippies

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadey View Post
    yeah, I've encounted this reluctance to share hunting spots (even vaguely) in many states I've lived in. However, AK hunters seem to be more close-mouthed than others. It kinda annoying trying to find new hunting spots in a new place.

I can see why people do it, and I don't really blame them too much, but its still annoys me. Its rabbits and grouse......not moose, bear, caribou, etc. course I still have not been big game hunting up here in my 5 years of residency....most of my friends are UAA students and not prone to "murdering" animals lol. silly hippies
    I have mixed feelings on the topic. A couple of my very best hunting spots got popularized by other individuals via public media/forums and ended up being so full of PEOPLE that the game just disappeared. OTOH, I openly share in a public manner spots that are reasonably well known already but maybe not to the new guy ...especially if the spots are ones that produce reasonably even when there are a lot of people around. DON'T ask me where I hunt moose or where my grouse spots are ...both good areas and neither requires boat/4-wheeler/snow-machine to do it! THAT will never make the forums!

Brian

Exclamation More Regs

For those of you that want more regulations out there the fastest way to do it is publicize your spot.....more people, more traffic, enviro damage and on and on.

I realize rabbits are plentiful and cyclical but its a mind set, lived here my whole life and not sure if the newer alaskans appreciate the history on that. Alaska's a big place, room for all if we spread out a little.

Default disagree

Not so we just have to be smarter in our ways & conservation.
    Things have changed a lot from the Alaska you knew. There are a lot more people & that won’t change in anytime soon. Not everyone wants, or can handle the bush lifestyle so that puts increased pressure on the population centers & limits the spread you mention. In addition with all the new & improved ATV’s & other methods of transport you can figure an hour or two radius of the metro areas will have competition for spots. We have to be smarter in our conservation of resources. If we can educate ourselves to be responisble it will help imensly.
    If I can help someone get their 1st hare, grouse, whatever & they are respectful than it is worth it to me. When I go out I don’t feel the need to limit out even when it was possible. A young military man ended up at our house on x-mas eve for dinner unexpectedly. Luckily enough I had picked up a couple steaks & also had a pack of moose steak unthawed & we all had plenty. Through the conversation he enjoyed a few of our pictures & mentioned the fact that hasn’t had a chance to hunt much in the last 3yrs, & was eager to try & find a few hares & was asking about ducks & others spots for next season. At 1st I was a little reluctant to let him know where we have been doing well this year. Then I thought about it a little more & tried to make sure I gave him clear directions. Why should I try & keep the spot secret? I can only go on weekends, its really not a secret spot, & few more people aren’t going to ruin it.
    In some cases people don’t have the time & resources to spend yrs finding their own spots.
    There are a few people on certain forums that brag & post how good they are doing but then jump all over people for helping others or giving out to many details. To me this is the greed & mindset that will expedite the demise of our sport in the future. I think there has to be a middle ground & we will all have to work together & help each other out.

Exclamation public image

I see alot of posts on here about how hunters look "in the pubics eye". It seems to me that if we share ALL our knowledge with any hunter that is big enough to admit they need help, then we are showing some kind of unity. And isn't unity in the hunting community what we really want the whole world to see? When I first moved to this great state, I didn't have a clue as to where to hunt for what. I grew up on a very large farm in Michigan and hunting was a way of life for me. I asked for helpfull info at a couple of sporting goods stores. The thing that suprised me is each place tried to give me the run around on exact locations. What really shocked me most, and I don't want to sound predjudice, was that I received help from a very "privacy minded" native man. He told me that if I was honestly interested and truly believed in hunting ethically he would not only tell me a "good" spot but he would show it to me. I learned several locations from this man and more importantly through him I have gained numerous friends both in and out of the hunting world. I feel that if you keep your "secret" spot to yourself, you are too selfish for the unity of the hunting community. If you are willing to help someone out with producing locations you are showing that you are truly brothers and sisters to the hunting family! Since I have been hunting in this great state I have passed on the great favor of a wonderfully true sportsman and helped several people with locations to hunt. I feel if we share the information freely less problems will arise with our image as hunters!!!!

Tom

Default Sharing information

Its one thing to tell a friend or person about areas that might be productive to help them out. Its another to post it where the whole world can see. I agree 100% that the hunting community needs to be united, but we seem to be concerned more on sucess these days at all costs.... Don't get me wrong, I'm out there to harvest and eat, but I can go home empty handed and still be sucessfull. I think part of being ethical hunters is respecting others area and giving them space.

I'm sure this has been a thread in the past and don't mean to hijack the bunnies.

Well, you all could help a poor helpless FNG and his 10 year old son (Wasilla). Took him out a couple of times, saw one hare (Point McKenzie). Thats after busting brush for a good hour and a half. Saw sign, just no fuzzy butts. Never been a problem till I came up here. Used to hunt grouse, rabbits all the time and always saw game. Looking for somewhere I can take my son that is not going to get him shot, scared, or is going to kill him trying to walk through the tall thick stuff. I know, that's where they live.

well if your in wasilla, i used to get good rabbits down on the flats south of fox run campground, by the railroad tracks, not sure the name of the road but it goes down towards old matanuska townsite i think it is. used to do really well down in there, till the last two years, folks hit it really hard this year before the snow flew and now the hares are super skittish but they are there. used to get two or three each trip, now i'm lucky if i see one each trip let alone get a shot off.
    So theres "my" spot, used to be better, more people more pressure going down hill, but there are rabbits there,doubt i'll go back until spring when i can take my little boy and the snow's gone so he can see the rabbits.... i'll tell you guys where i saw a legal ram from my truck a few years back as well....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default old standbys

Well you could always try the stand bys , Jim creek, knick river & rabbit slough. You will see others, & it will be hit or miss depending on the day. Somedays are just better than others

Just to be safe we always wear some orange, it helps us as well as others see you in the brush.

Default great way to finde a rabbit

Walk as far as you can up hill till your so exosted that you you cant walk up hilll any more. Then, turne right or left into the thickest brush that you can finde. Now you should be so exosted that if you did see a rabbit you couldn't get the gun up to shoot at it. At this point you'll see rabbits and grous evrey were but all you can do in watch. not to minchen you have tree limbs pokeing you in ways you dont even wont the doc to poke you. this works for moose to

Default predators

Hey dave,

Did you see any tracks of predators at mile 117. Lokking for a good place to use my FOx Pro call.

Part of the problem getting predators in that area ,if you go on a weekend, is snowmachiners buzz up and down that old road.

Default Mile 117 Glen Hwy

I went out yesterday morning to Mile 117 of the Glen Hwy to try and bag a rabbit or two. No luck at all. Walked almost six hours. Did not see any tracks, sign or anything of any animal except moose, squirrel and shrew. I went south to the ravine, and headed east tacking north and south staying in the trees, all without a single hint of any rabbits. At least the weather was beautiful.

Should I have gone north from the highway at that location? Or was it just one of those days?

Oh well. Will try reliable rabbit slough tomorrow.

Default saterday February 16

hit the spot on the 16th it was snowing and the wind was blowing I think that it helped quiet my walking heres on of the six that I got

I put them in tapp water over night when I fryed them they tasted like
    Turkey