Thread: Harrington & Richardson Tracker II

Default Harrington & Richardson Tracker II

Anyone know if you can shoot 00 Buck in this gun.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.aspx

Hi,

Own one and never tried it. Here is part of an article from the Chuck Hawks Website:

"A few seasons ago I went back to experimenting with slug guns due to range concerns I had for deer hunting in the same general area where I used to cowboy. When I sold my Mossberg collection because all it was doing was sitting in my gun safe collecting dust, I went shopping for an all-purpose slug gun for close range coyote calling and jump shooting deer.

I walked into a Dick's Sporting Goods store in eastern Kansas looking for a good smooth bore, pump action, slug gun. Now slug guns are about as popular as Bill Clinton and horsemeat steaks in Kansas. The guy behind the gun counter had a special deal on a two or three year old Remington Model 870 Deer Gun with a fully rifled 20" barrel and open rifle style sights, new in the box. He had it on sale for fifty bucks less than a new smooth bore plastic stock Mossberg Maverick. I bought it.

Damaging the rifling using shot didn't concern me because I like cheap rifled slugs a whole bunch better than expensive sabots anyway. They work just as well out to seventy yards on deer and beyond that I'll use a rifle. So I just shuck in the #4 bucks for coyotes and one ounce slugs for brush country whitetails. Although I've preached about the advantage of scopes in another slug gun article on this web site, I've kept the Remington just as it is with open sights. It is too darned handy."

I would imagine that it is a use at your own risk.

Ron

I also found this as well from another posting:

"First, the barrel will lead up badly.

Second, the shot is "swirled" around as it moves down the barrel, and when it exits, it tends to spread out in a circular pattern with a large hole in the middle.

In other words, instead of having a round pattern with shot scattered throughout it, you often have a "donut" circle with no shot at all in the middle.

Rifled shotgun barrels are "purpose" built, specifically intended for shooting sabot slugs and nothing else.

If you shoot standard slugs or shot in it, it isn't going to blow up, but it isn't intended for standard shotgun projectiles, won't work very well with them, and will lead up BADLY."

Now for the leading up, I use Remington Sluggers with mine. These lead up the barrel, but shoot well and group well. You just have to clean them up more after a few shots. These guns seem to like Hornady SST slugs.

Ron

cool thanks alot