Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft. Rich Eagle

Default Ft. Rich Eagle

Picture of eagle from Ft. Rich this past weekend, comments/criticism welcomed.

Dean
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice catch. Looks real good to me.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default specs

great pic but what camera / shutter , stop etc

Thanks. Here's the specs:
    Canon Rebel XT
    ISO 800
    F7.1
    1/500 second
    70-200mm f4 lens w/1.4 Extender (280mm total)

Very cool. In my wanderings today we saw quite a few of those today but only one really lended us any photo ops! And we never did get any real good perched images.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I was over on Ft. Rich today also and saw a bunch, but too much snow on the trees and none were close. Thinking of taking my Foxpro out and seeing if I can call any in for a flyby camera shot.

Let me know how you do! I would be interested in doing that with you sometime if it is productive!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

My new desktop background. Thanks for the beautiful picture.

Quite welcome!

Very good! My father-in-law down in CA LOVES bald eagles. Do you mind if I send him your photo? I've tried a few times, but can't seem to get any decent pics of them myself. I can't seem to get close enough with my S3 IS.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

No problem. Also, have you been out to the Eagle River VFW? On Sunday mornings, I believe between 1030-1130 someone feeds the eagles salmon in the partking lot. Not sure if that'll be close enough for you or not.

Default Nice..

Nice shot Dean. Just to let you know, the "Photo by Dean 2008" is mispelled on the image. Not being a smart a#$. Just wanted you to know. Nice picture!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaclean View Post
    No problem. Also, have you been out to the Eagle River VFW? On Sunday mornings, I believe between 1030-1130 someone feeds the eagles salmon in the partking lot. Not sure if that'll be close enough for you or not.

No I haven't, but thanks for the tip! With 12X optical zoom, I ought to be able to get close enough there, and with the eagles focused on the salmon I can use my tripod and get some decent shots. Thanks for letting me use your pic, too! My father-in-law will undoubtedly use it for his desktop.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Excellent capture...

Default feeding Eagles

you better hope that there is no one from the game and fish tailing this forum, cause if there is, who ever is feeding the eagles out there at the VFW could get into a whole lot of trouble doing that since it's against the FEDERAL law.I don't know how many people know this, but last year alone in the State of Alaska, there was 261 cases of people getting convicted of messing around with Eagles in one way or the other,and 13 out of the 261 are now spending from 5 to 10 years in Federal prison and most others are spending a year in jail plus $10,000 fine, witch is the minimum fine .... so don't think think there not watching and waiting ...... just watch out. the only reason I know this is cause one of my friends is now in jail over this very thing and I got this information right from the horses mouth (the Judge) when I went to court with my friend. don't even pickup a feather
    just thought everyone should know

Good grief Buck!!! I joking tell people they should kill the game warden if they get caught because it's a lesser offense in Alaska. I didn't realize how close to the truth I was! I'm all for fish and game laws but not to the extent of picking up a feather from the beach. A (ahem) "friend of mine" picked up an eagle feather on the beach in Homer and brought it home, not knowing that it was an eagle feather. He thought it might be an eagle feather but didn't know it was against the law to have one - unless you are native American. He threw it away when he found out the consequences. I thought they had been taken off the endangered species list. Shouldn't they repeal this law since they are not threatened? Not that anything we think would matter...

Default FYI on VFW Eagles ...

Quote Originally Posted by "Buck" View Post
    you better hope that there is no one from the game and fish tailing this forum, cause if there is, who ever is feeding the eagles out there at the VFW could get into a whole lot of trouble doing that since it's against the FEDERAL law.I don't know how many people know this, but last year alone in the State of Alaska, there was 261 cases of people getting convicted of messing around with Eagles in one way or the other,and 13 out of the 261 are now spending from 5 to 10 years in Federal prison and most others are spending a year in jail plus $10,000 fine, witch is the minimum fine .... so don't think think there not watching and waiting ...... just watch out. the only reason I know this is cause one of my friends is now in jail over this very thing and I got this information right from the horses mouth (the Judge) when I went to court with my friend. don't even pickup a feather
    just thought everyone should know
    This elderly lady has been feeding these birds at the VFW for many years and everyone knows that she is doing it. I try to stop by every weekend when the light is right and photograph the Bald Eagles. Jean, down in Homer is also feeding the big birds and has till 2010 before she has to stop. I just wanted to let those people know who are interested that it is OK to photograph these Bald Eagles at the VFW in Eagle River. It's worth checking out. But at the same time please note that it is true ...Don't mess with the big birds ...you Will do time!

Here is a shot I captured at the VFW in Eagle River last winter ...

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default Eagles

unfortunately .......... they didn't make the law because of the fact that they we're endangered, (we can all agree that they were), infact they made the law long before they even thought an endangered species list. They made it back when Teddy Roosevelt was president and he wanted the Turkey to be our national simble, but the congress made the Eagle our national simble, and also made the law that no one, shall harm, pluck,kill the eagle, and 5 years later said no one except the native americans could own eagles feathers. Thats where the law came from

Tull
    I didn't mean to cause anything, all I was doing was to point out that maybe next time nothing should be said about those that do those things here on the forum and I will tell you why, 2 weeks ago is when I got back from my friends trial and as I was waiting out side the court room I was listening to the two wardens talking about this case and I heard one of them telling the other that one good way to catch people is by my space,this kind of a forum and other ways like this forum ..... and all I could think of was those *********'s thats why I wrote what I wrote ....... meant no harm

"
    I didn't mean to cause anything, ....... meant no harm"
    Oh man, no worries at all!!! I don't upset easily, I was not ticked or freaked out in the slightest. I just wanted to let those who would like to view and photograph these birds know that they could. I can see why someone would think that she was screwing up and could get in trouble. I have to admit that I was surprised that she is allowed to do it in the first place. Also, if anyone has any freezer burned fish, please donate it to her at the VFW. She was feeding them in her back yard until one bird injured it's self on some power lines. So they thought it best that she move the feeding frenzy to the VFW. Bummer about your friend. What was his offense?

Again, no worries.

unfortunately .......... they didn't make the law because of the fact that they we're endangered, (we can all agree that they were), in fact they made the law long before they even thought an endangered species list. They made it back when Teddy Roosevelt was president and he wanted the Turkey to be our national simble ..."
    If I'm not mistaken, Ben Franklin wanted the turkey as the national bird instead of the Bald Eagle. You might want to double check that one. I don't doubt that Roosevelt was the first to protect the Bald Eagle though.

Have a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast