Thread: 416 Rigby

Cool 416 Rigby

Does anybody have any info on this round? I just purchased a 416 Rigby barrel for my Encore Pro Hunter was looking for some info. Also looking for some brass and reloading data. Thanks

I have a lot of experience with this round but not with an Encore pro hunter. Please tell me that is a rifle barrel.

The Rigby is expensive to shoot and expensive to load for. Brass is about $2.00 each, there aren't many cheap bullets and it uses about 115 grains of 4831. You cannot down load it very well. It is a butt kickin' round in field performance but it has a down side.

When loading for it care must be taken to prevent bullet seating from collapsing the neck into the shoulder. This will bulge the case at the shoulder dimension and prevent a round from chambering freely. That 45 degree shoulder is not the best design. It is a classic old round and it's legendary field performance led to other good calibers to duplicate it's ballistics. The 416 Remington will do it but at much higher pressure than the Rigby and it has the associated ills of that pressure level in warm climates. You could have a 416 Murphy with none of these draw backs.

(I just had to get a plug in for my own 416.)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    Yes it's a 28" Fluted Pro Hunter rifle barrel. I knew it was expensive to shoot before I bought the barrel. I already have a set of dies for reloading. I just need to get some brass for it now.

I was looking in one reloading manual (Barnes I think) and if I remember correct it said 88 grains of IMR 4350 was a accurate load. I will have to go back and buy the manual. I need a newer manual anyway because mine does not have the 416 Rigby. Also do you loose much brass from the shoulder collapsing/bulging?

What is a 416 Murphy? Do you make it in a Encore Barrel? "grin"

The Swift book has a load with the 400 grain and 88.0 grains of H4350 for 2368 fps and a note of accuracy. And I do know that to be a good load with the 400 grain A-frame.

The Barnes book #3shows their 400 grain XFB with 98.0 grains of H4350 for a velocity of 2599 fps. Yes the Rigby can be loaded to higher velocity but that is also higher pressure. It will stand a bit higher than 400 at 2400 fps. H4350 is a good powder for this oldie. The "standard ballistics for the Rigby is a 410 grain bullet at 2370 fps, or 400's @ 2400 fps.

The closer we get to a full case, the more accuracy and consistant the velocity.

One of my favorite loads is 105.0 grains of RL-19 for a velocity of about 2450 fps with the 400 grain Swift A-frame. Buffalo will almost crumble at the sight of a rifle thusly loaded.

The Murphy is based on the 404 Jeffery case cut to 2.570". It is easily made from existant 375 Dakota brass by just necking up. It uses the same headspace dimension of the 375 Dak. Ken Howell designed this as the 416 Howell but go no takers in the gun industry. Mine is slightly different (not better) to utilize the existant brass. Brass is about $25.00 per 20. I have a reamer and it can be loaned to your smith. It can be used to chamber any 416 caliber barrel. It's ballistics are 400 grains at 2450 fps at 56,000 psi. Higher velocity than the Remington at lower pressure and no cartridge belt. This is done with 80.0 grains of RL-15 powder.

You won't loose brass from the bulged shoulder but the bullets will need to be pulled and the case resized and reloaded. These rounds should be crimped if they are to be used to hunt and carried in a loaded magazine. If you buy a body die you can "resize" the loaded round without pulling the bullet. It is absolutely essential that the cases be at the same length and the crimping done lightly in a seperate step. Also the case mouth must be chamferred to allow easy seating to avoid the crinkle of the shoulder. All these things are good loading practices anyway and don't present a problem but just care and closely watch. It a cool old caliber to load and shoot. One of the grand old African calibers. Almost as cool as a Nitro Express caliber. It's been around since about 1911. All the old African hunters loved it. These 416 Rigby ballistics are my preferred ballistics for buffalo hunting. A 416 will make a big hole and come out the other side.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Since the Encore is a single shot and has no magizine do I still need to crimp the bullets? Also where can I buy a body die for it? Anybody in town sell one and does anybody in town sell brass or will I have to order it?

I had planned on trying Swift-A-Frame bullets. I really like them and the 35 cal. bullets(250grn Swift) I bought from you worked great in the 350 Griffen & Howe.

I would also like to thank you for your time and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Since the Encore is a single shot and has no magizine do I still need to crimp the bullets? Also where can I buy a body die for it? Anybody in town sell one and does anybody in town sell brass or will I have to order it?

I had planned on trying Swift-A-Frame bullets. I really like them and the 35 cal. bullets(250grn Swift) I bought from you worked great in the 350 Griffen & Howe.

I would also like to thank you for your time and knowledge.

I don't see a listing for a body die for the caliber, we'll have to skip that. Mine must be a custom. No you don't need to crimp for the single shooter. My cost on Norma brass is $50/20 and $240/100 (geez!) and Jamison brass is $40/20 or $170/100. If you want some I'm sending off an order this week and can get some for you, just let me know. I have been using the Jamison brass in several calibers and they are making some custom brass for me. I'm happy with their brass. They make the Dakota calibers brass for Dakota Arms now and it is good strong brass.

Jamison makes my 416 Taylor, 500 Jeffery, 470 Capstick, 470 Nitro Express, 404 Jeffery, 40-70 Sharps straight, you know stuff like that. They are the folks that designed the 500 S&W cartridge and I think the 460 as well. I think they know something about brass. Let me know.

How long does it take you to get the brass after you place a order? Thanks

How long does it take you to get the brass after you place a order? Thanks
    About a week.

Murphy,
    If you haven't placed your order yet I would like 40 pieces of the Jamison 416 Rigby brass. Just let me know how and when you want the money. Thanks

Murphy,
    If you haven't placed your order yet I would like 40 pieces of the Jamison 416 Rigby brass. Just let me know how and when you want the money. Thanks

Well....I placed an order this morning. Sad news for your Rigby. Jamison is still tied up making brass to be scattered onto the sands of Iraq and Afghanistan so they can't be bothered with making brass for sporting arms. My wholesaler is out of stock with no firm recovery date. Norma is the only other maker and I took the liberty of ordering one 20 round box for you for only fifty American dollars. I dare not order any more than the one box. Should you care to use this expensive brass it could be yours if the price is right.

I'm already sitting down so " HIT ME " with the price if you want to get rid of them. I think I might some Americans dollars left.

Murphy,
    Have you ever used brass from Quality Cartridge.

Murphy,
    Have you ever used brass from Quality Cartridge.
    Yes, well I've reloaded their brass but haven't loaded their new brass. What I've loaded was very good brass. I noticed their site has 416 Rigby brass for about $40. I think their brass is made for them by Jamison (there really aren't that many brass makers) so it should be good brass. Try them they may have some in stock. If you want the Norma it is $50.