Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting your boat Un-Stuck

Default Getting your boat Un-Stuck

I would like to hear about the experiences people have had with using a parachute to drag boats off gravel/sand bars. both good and bad. Are they worth the hastle?

Handyman jack and 6 pieces of 4in. dia. plastic pipe.

Default Basketballs and pump

Before the lewis winch days....

I would keep two flat basketballs in the boat...Works great for mud too! (If your boat is sucking like a vacume in the mud.)

Anyhow, stuff the flat ball with the pump hose under the boat and add air until the boat rises...Then push. Works great and can lift almost any boat.

Never used the parchute method....I would like to see it work. I don't think it would could be used in all situations.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

16 foot Old Towne plastic canoe, buddies and I just got it unstuck from under an over hanging tree in a creek. We drag it onto the gravel bar, with the half-inch or so water flowing over the bar, flip it upside down to drain it. In my exhausted state I sat on it a bit to hard and it suctioned to the earth like a suction cup! We ended up digging a trench around one entire length of the canoe to break the grip free. We laughed in amazement at the incredible hold it had and how long and hard we worked to release a canoe laying upside down on the ground in basicly no water!
    Its silly, but my only "stuck-boat" story.

Default blue tarp

have a buddy who goes high and dry all the time caries a 12x16 tarp and uses it like a parachute to pull himself back into floating water. sound like it works slick just 4 ropes not a bunch to tangle like a chute the tarp may have to be bigger. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    have a buddy who goes high and dry all the time caries a 12x16 tarp and uses it like a parachute to pull himself back into floating water. sound like it works slick just 4 ropes not a bunch to tangle like a chute the tarp may have to be bigger. Brian
    how does he attach the rope to the tarp? just tie a big knot on each corner? I've thought of trying that but can't imagine the little grommets holding very well....

What do you need a tarp for, I'll be running with you next year.

OH.............$&&#37;^ I just jynxed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    What do you need a tarp for, I'll be running with you next year.
    very true...I was just looking out for you...lol.....You know you're in trouble if you get the 'WetDream' stuck.....

Default Here it is!!!!!!

Ok so I was in the coast guard and spent some time towing boats.
    What you need to do is understand and know the water your running!
    Ha ha ha that being said let them run some Alaskan waters.. So here it is. Tarps and rope is a must. ( mabey a come along) But the tarps will rip under a lot of strain. So a shovel and mabey a few basket balls and a tarp + a cold beer for who puts the finishing touches on the boat moving again, unless a beer or two got you in that position. haha That being said good luck to all and bring food and water just incase!!!!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Talking BAsket balls and come along

I have been stuck on the beach more times than I care to count. 4 inflatable round bouys of the type used by commercial fishers make good rollers. (the bigger the better) Tie the eyed ends together and start them under the keel at the bow and drag the boat foward on to them with a come along use your anchor as a tail hold for the come along. The bouys are big and hard to stow but they work good. Or just wait for the tide

Default tarp

I am not sure how they attach rope to tarp but I would guess not by the gromets but knotts in the corners like suggested above. The best Idea yet is the cooler of beer to give to the other boaters that assist you getting off the sandbar!! Brian

Attaching rope to a tarp with a golfball, tennisball, rock, or whatever. Put the object in the tarp, wrap a wad of tarp around object, tie rope around neck...You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Attaching rope to a tarp with a golfball, tennisball, rock, or whatever. Put the object in the tarp, wrap a wad of tarp around object, tie rope around neck...You get the idea.
    ding!...now the light comes on...lol ....thanks

Red face Stuck again!

I live in the land of the huge and ever changing sand/mud bar up here in Kotzebue. It took me 3 years to learn the channels to get into the mouth of the Noatak River and many unhappy experiences. I shared a flat bottom jet boat with a friend back in 2000 and that sucker would allow you to skim some dam skinny water and with out warning you were 15 feet out of your channel and stuck high and dry on a bud bar in Kotzebue Sound! I switched over to a River Runner with a Merc prop drive and now the skeg tells me when I am getting off channel before I find myself stuck.

I was heading up a very small river way up in Kobuk Valley National Park 2 years ago (gravel) and did not watch the cut bank close enough and found myself, the wife, 3 kids and 10 days of supplies way up on a gravel bar. Thankfully I had just switched from a stainless prop to my aluminum one and saved the lower unit. As the kids went fishing I re-floated the Hewes Craft and spent the next hour with a prop and a file in my hands. Hell living up here causes you to pack some interesting stuff just incase you need it!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default "There are 2 types of skippers: Those that have run aground, and those that will."...

"Kedging Off"
    is the old school way from back in the Tall Ship days. Set out several anchors (one way or another) and winch the boat to them.

When a frigate or Ship of the Line grounded in the days before engines and hydraulics, the only way to get a 400 tonner off a mud flat they couldn't sail off were kedging anchors, blocks, man-powered capstans, and the concentrated rage of the entire crew for hours, maybe days or weeks.

It was not a pleasant work environment.

Nowadays, we've progressed to the point of having all kinds of winches and tarps to kedge ourselves out of a jam, if we can carry them.

Ain't technology great?

Default Getting Unstuck

Lots of sandbars on the Texas gulf. This is what a friend showed me. He keeps two car intertubes, some rope. and a 12v compressor in a bag. If he gets stuck he runs the rope under the boat and with a innertube on each side with just the valve stem above water. He airs up the tubes and rocks the boat free.

Hey we forgot one......

One, two, three....Heave Hoe! Sh*^, &%@!

I guess we'll have to sit here on this shallow mud until the beer runs out and forces us to work.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default You might find this interesting

I purchased a couple military surplus "drogues" thinking a full sized personell type parachute would be unweildy but they didn't do much to pull the boat loose. I was thinking of trying one of these Para-Anchors though...

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-...ight=parachute

I usually manage to get loose with the "1,2,3 push" method, although the older and lazier I get, if we're exploring I now tend to bring a chunk of 5/8" doublebraid nylon about a hundred and fifty foot long and a second boat...

1 time i really needed the "sea anchor" i had, i did not have enough rope to reach the strong current.....4 hrs later i was off , dug trough with hoe. but have new sea anchor....rectanglar rather than round . in shallow water rectangular work better. i have used the new one when i stop in too shallow if water to get started and use it to help drag me down stream through very shallow spots. esp in fast moving water need to remember to have second line attached to far end to collapse the sea anchor.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

By spring I intend to have figured out the ideal way to make a dedicated parachute for riverboating as this is a perfect and light tool for how I boat anyway. There is almost always fast current or a chute within 100 feet or more of where I get stuck.
    I want to have something made and if it works well may be able to make others available.

How big was your anchor AK?

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast